1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

New 36-team Champions League format could be agreed this month

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Dude, Mar 8, 2021.

Discuss New 36-team Champions League format could be agreed this month in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Dude

2. The Dude

"The individual European leagues want the four additional places to go to champions of 'middle-tier' countries - leagues whose champions do not already automatically go through to the groups stages - and be decided on sporting merit."

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Not really we are not champions of our own country.

4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    But the likelihood is two of the places will be given as 'wildcards' - with England likely to benefit from an additional fifth place - which could be decided on co-efficient.

EUFA are only interested in the big 5. More a case for the rich getting richer

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If it meant we got one straight to the group and kept our better co-ef for the runner up, sure.

But I would fear we would only get the automatic place, then the place we "vacate" would end up going to another of the big leagues.

6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

UEFA's executive committee are expected to approve a reform to the Champions League next Wednesday.

The new format will follow the 'Swiss model' and see the competition expanded to 36 teams.

The Athletic understands there is to be an increase from six to 10 guaranteed games in the new format, which will be introduced post-2024.

What is the Swiss model?
    It is a new format for the Champions League after this current cycle of the competition, which ends in 2024.

The 32-team group stage would be eliminated. Instead, there would be a 36-team ‘Swiss model’ league, in which each club will play 10 games: five at home, five away.

The fixtures will be based on seedings and the teams will be ranked from one to 36.

The top eight will advance automatically to a 16-team knockout round, and the next 16 teams will go into a play-off round to decide those final eight slots.

Who would the extra four places go to?
    The UEFA proposal is to give one of the four new slots to the team that finishes fourth in the fifth-strongest league, which is currently France but Portugal is closing in.

That would mean the 'Big Five' leagues would all have four guaranteed places in the Champions League each.

European football's governing body is proposing to award the three other slots on the basis of historic performance in European competitions over the previous five seasons. This would provide a safety net for teams with strong European pedigrees that have relatively poor domestic seasons.

For example, one or more of the Premier League's 'Big Six' could finish in one of the Europa or Europa Conference League positions — fifth to seventh — and be promoted to the Champions League.

The European Leagues, which represents 36 domestic leagues in 30 countries, believes this is unfair and would distort domestic and European competitions.

They want those three extra slots to go to the domestic champions of leagues that currently have to come through the qualifying rounds.

This could mean the champions of countries such as Denmark, Scotland and Switzerland no longer have to play a tricky qualifying round to get to the Champions League.

What about the financial impact?
    This is unclear. The financial distribution is probably not going to be settled next week.

The new format would mean Europe’s elite clubs playing each other more often and so there would be more high-profile matches.

That would appeal to broadcasters.

Is there anything else I need to know?
    Yes. The European Leagues are concerned 10 guaranteed games is too many and that four extra exclusive mid-week matchdays would make life very difficult for domestic leagues and cups

7. The Dude

The first proposal there is a travesty. Why bother having domestic leagues if failure is rewarded with promotion to Europe's most prestigious club competition?

The sooner it ends up a closed shop, as it inevitably will, the better; then clubs that are left out in the cold can form a rival competition.

oh bhoy and Westlondonscot like this.
  8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah honestly I'd rather a load of these clubs just * off, do your own thing if you want. I think people would get fed up eventually,

9. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I was wondering what I was missing when I was reading the article, it sounds abysmal right though ffs. 10 group stage games with only the top going through, if you finish 2nd you'll then have to play another 2 games just to get to the last 16. That's * and has just been done to get more games in for more money. The bit about Europe's elite clubs playing each other more often is bollocks as well, they'll be kept apart by seeding.

The Dude likes this.
  10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Sounds balls.

11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I would have CL changed to following.
    Teams to qualify are Every team that has won a European trophy then their leagues. Ranking would not be by coefficient at least for first new format but by how many of each European comp team has won then by league.
    Would have total of 164 teams at least which is amount of teams that would be in it.
    1st rd = bottom ranked 72 teams in ko rd (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING
    2nd rd = 36 winners of 1st rd and remaining 92 teams in ko rd (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING and random draw
    3rd rd = 64 winners of 2nd rd in ko rd (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING and random draw
    4th rd = Rd of 32 - Group stage with 8 groups of 4 with top 2 of each group going through (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING and random draw
    5th rd = Last 16 - (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING and random draw
    6th rd = Last 8 - (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING and random draw
    S/F = (Home and Away) - NO SEEDING and random draw
    Final

And the thing is every single team that has won a European trophy will be in it and the remaining will be the teams that have just won their leagues.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  12. Lewis Kerr

The current format is great. Why change it? This will be horrible if it happens imo.

On the other hand, making the Europa purely knockouts would be a welcomed change.

13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Its not great. Why should a 4th placed team in their league play in group stages 3 rounds ahead of champs of another league.

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

* UEFA.

RockhardBoss likes this.
  15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    So all teams who have won a European trophy or do they have to have come somewhere in the league? If all teams who have won something then you have Aberdeen, Ipswich and Forrest in it and they certainly deserve * all.

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I like the idea of the pish 3rd European league for * teams. Gives them that European experience and a bit more money and the ability to then improve.

This idea? Unless it makes qualifying easier for teams like celtic then nah, get tae *.

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They deserve more than a team that hasnt won the league so * off with that *.
    Its called the Champions League and that means only Champions should be in it whether they WON a European trophy or have just WON their league NOT FINISHED 3RD OR * 4TH. Those teams can be allocated the EL and ECL comps

18. oh bhoy

i also think there should be no parachuting into the europa league for 3rd place it just demeans that competion or the teams knocked out at the qualifiers for that matter

19. Lewis Kerr

Obviously the three rounds are too excessive. Even 2 rounds for some countries are. I'm specifically talking about the group stage/knockout format.

Still, I'd much rather see the best teams on display, no one can deny the gap in quality (rightly or wrongly) between the 3rd/4th best teams in Spain and England and the champions of lesser leagues. I see your point and I agree to an extent, but that's just the way it is. They should just rename the competition.
    100%. This isn't fair at all.

Drakhan likes this.
  20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    While I agree about champions being in the champions league, teams that won a trophy 30 odd years ago, No they don't. They can't be qualifying for a tournament based on a team numerous years ago winning something. The same applies to Celtic, the current team should be earning their place not riding off the coat tails of the Lions.