1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

There’s absolutely no doubt that we should be taking care of the likes of Cluj over two legs. Particularly when you take into account we got an away goal and a draw in the first leg.

Every season in the qualifiers we play teams in the same boat as us - they’ve lost players and signed new ones. Problem is we never played our new signings for whatever reason.

2. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Honestly can’t believe we are debating if we should be expecting to beat Cluj and Ferencvaros.

Cluj were just organised. Something we were not. That is the responsibility of the manager and the coaching staff.

Ferencvaros weren’t even organised. Blowing out their * after 20 mins. They kept just giving us the ball back at one stage when we kept giving it away. One of the shittiest European teams I’ve ever seen.

They obviously got better as the weeks went by but when they played us that was their second game of the season. Terrible defeat. A 20 stone Leigh Griffiths would have got us the win, so many cut backs crying out to be dispatched.

No striker played. Again, the fault of the manager.

JamesM09 and Peej like this.
  3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This season is all about 10 in a row. Winning a Cup or two would be nice, as would a good run in the Europa League but that is just a bonus it most certainly isnt the main objective.

Do I think Neil Lennon, despite all the background 'noise' will win the Title this season. YES
    Do I think changing the manager while the 10 in a row season is underway would be a disaster. YES

It remains to be seen if Im right or wrong, but this is what it all boils down to - Whether Neil Lennon wins us 10 in a row or not.

When the outcome is decided I will admit I got it wrong and he was the wrong choice for manager if we dont win the Title. But if he does win 10 in a row I hope the incessant merchants of doom and negativity have the decency to admit they got it horribly wrong. No if's or but's or backtracking.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    :56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56:

Mate, this is not about me or you or tom or * being right or wrong. * sake man.

It's about getting the ten done - not just "over the line" by the skin of our teeth then determining which fans was a better uber fan.

Fair play for your continued blind faith (because thats what this is), but you're a million miles off the mark if you are sitting there waiting to say "Ha! I was right, * you" to other fans.

5. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes and thats exactly what I said, this all about winning 10 in a row, thats all I care about. No offence but open your eyes before replying to my post next time buddy.

Look ive posted one more laughing emoji than you, amazing isnt it. :56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56::56:

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Personally I can’t wait for the latter and it’s far from ‘blind faith’.

I’ve got a hundred quid bet on with a Celtic fan that Lenny will get us the 10, he was one of the doomsayers last season when he got the job and never seen a * so grudgingly happy with how we were playing last season.

Not the only * I know like that, being an extra £100 up and winning the ten and telling that wee * get it * up ye will do me nicely.

Blind faith is a mental comment btw, like he hasn’t managed us to the majority of titles in this run and we don’t know his strengths and skills as a manager after over 300 odd games for us as one.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You're at it mate, you literally are waiting for the season to pan out so you can gloat over other fans. * sake man.

The rest of us are sat her hoping Lennon proves us all wrong and that we are wrong, for the sake of all fans and the club. You are waiting on a competition to be a bigger fan than the next guy.

Open your own eyes and see that this season has been poor and we are behind in this league. Your blind faith is admirable, but it does * all if we eventually crumble even more so.

8. JamesM09

Exactly. Ferencvaros beat us because 3 things our manager did.

1. Badly prepared mentally at the start of the match. Hence a very sloppy goal from a corner.
    2. We didn’t play a striker, so when we got on top of them we couldn’t get goals.
    3. Their manager clocked Elhamed was * so they put a pacey wee guy on him.

It was the only way they were getting a winner and our manager was too oblivious to see it coming.

The real problem is all these things keep happening on a regular basis. We still play bizarre line ups, we are still poorly organised and we still don’t make the obvious subs to fix the game (see Ntcham vs. Lille).

It blows my mind people think these mistakes are okay. It’s so amateurish and it’s costing us everything.

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Nuts that someone would bet against Celtic, that I can not understand. For your sake and everyones I hope you win that £100 and remind him forever more he made that bet in the first place.

Blind faith isn't mental comment, it literally is what some folk are using here. The season has been a disaster to this point and only blind faith can be attributed to people so confidently claiming we will win a league that we are behind in and is out of our control.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Do people really think the fans who don’t want Lennon will be unhappy if we win 10iar?

This place is honestly mental at times.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s not even November yet mate, it’s still in our control. If the Huns don’t drop points in any game between now and the end of the season quite frankly they’d deserve to win it. That’s not going to happen.

100% not blind faith, we’ve been here about 3/4 seasons in a row with panic merchants going mental. Things need to calm down a bit, we know his strengths as a manager, that’s not blind faith, that’s experience mate.

That attitude of that wee * I was talking about (technically a mate but * doing my nut in :56:) is one I’m encountering more and more often the older I get in our fans. I don’t know if it’s a moany * age group optimism in our lifes are starting to snuff out when we get to our mid-30’s :56: or else we’re all just a bunch of panicked spoiled petulant * these days.

Hammy89 and Peej like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I know some who will grudge it and say ‘aye but am still right, it’s just the SPFL we should win that’

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  13. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Going to be honest, I do think there’s a (probably very small) minority who would rather we sacked Lennon now and got someone else to steer us to the ten than see him completely turn it around both domestically and in Europe.

Think a lot of people had misconceptions about his management style before he took over permanently again (he would bin the upgrades on sports science, diet, tactics) etc but I think last season quite clearly proved he was able to adapt. He’s an intelligent man which I think people overlook due to the nature of his personality/character at times.

Whenever things go badly, which they have this season, I think all of these things supposed shortcomings get exaggerated to *.

One thing I don’t quite understand with a lot of people either is the thirst for a change in manager every time things go badly for a period. It happened under Rodgers - people called for his head during that third season when we’d stagnated somewhat. Obviously in hindsight things weren’t right behind the scenes but we didn’t know that yet people were gunning for a manager that had won an invincible treble only two seasons before. Now people are calling for Lennon’s head after securing 9 in a row, a double and Euro football after Christmas only last season due to 3/4 months poor (but hardly disastrous form).

What is with the obsession with changing the manager? Especially ones who have proven in the past they’re more than capable of doing the job well. All of the top managers at top clubs go through * spells.

kramer1 likes this.
  14. JamesM09

What’s wrong with that? We are Celtic, we should be winning the SPFL. There’s nothing wrong with being delighted at 10IAR and still thinking the club is regressing under Lennon.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s downplaying the achievement that 10 in a row is IMO. It’s never been done before, it’s an incredible achievement to get this far.

The pressure at the club just now is * insane.

kramer1 likes this.
  16. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The same people will be very quick to tell you how good a job Gerrard is doing with them too :39:

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And I can’t believe somebody just asked me what’s wrong with grudging it because of personal dislike for a manager if we manage to win 10 * season’s in a row. Boggles my mind man

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Regardless of whether or not we win the league, I’ll still be calling for a new manager next season.

I’ll thank Lennon for seeing it over the line and being a club legend. But hopefully we draw a line under it and move on.

I just can’t see us going forward as a club with him in charge.

19. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    After the game v the huns where we were undoubtedly * awful I was worried Neil Lennon may have 'lost the dressing room'. If that was the case then there was no way back for him, it would be game over which is why the next two games would decide if he had a future as Celtic manager. After watching the games against Aberdeen and Lille, there is no way the players have given up on him, there were positive signs we can get back to the form we showed last season under Neil Lennon post winter break. It is not blind faith i genuinely believe Neil Lennon can lead us to 10 in a row, whether you agree with that or not is up to you.

If I thought getting rid of Neil Lennon at this stage would increase our chances of winning 10 in row then I would be all for it but the truth is I dont. For me it would be a very bad move and just like you all I care about is winning 10 in a row.

Lets be honest and please dont try to deny this because its staring you in the face...there are certain Celtic fans who where very much against Neil Lennon becoming manager so the minute anything goes wrong the knives are out for him. He has no chance with these people. You may say these people just want Celtic to win regardless of who the manager is but its very obvious they are also desperate to be proved correct. Thats just a fact mate and its very disappointing to see.

20. JamesM09

Mate your angle is completely off. Criticism of Lennon isn’t a personal dislike of a manager.

You’re the one saying people criticising Lennon have a grudge or are ‘grudging him’ the achievement. We’re all trying to tell you that’s not the case but you can’t see past it.

It’s as simple as this. Performances all season have been shocking. We’ve been pumped out the champions league by * clubs twice and the game management has been awful. We failed to register a shot on target against the huns at home.

If we win this league title it’s a fantastic achievement for Lennon and of course we’ll all be delighted, but this isn’t good enough for Celtic and we should be doing better.

Also you come across like he’s winning all 10 titles this year. He just need to beat a poor sevco team with a * manager. He should be able to do that and beat Ferencvaros..

The players shouldn’t look unfit as * too..

charlietully and thailandceltic like this.