1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not saying everyone who criticises him is like that, mate. In your case and plenty of others, I know you are rooting for him in spite of not being convinced he's the best man for the job. But, honestly, if you don't think there is a sizeable minority in this thread where my comments apply, then I genuinely think you should look again.

It's one thing to think we could get someone better or that performances haven't been good lately; it's quite another to think that he's a poor manager, a liar, doesn't understand tactics, talks a load of *, that his stated reasons for his decisions are false...

These are all things that certain people have been saying regularly on here and it is really starting to get to me.

He's demonstrably not a * manager. His win percentage bears comparison with anyone's. he has won every domestic trophy put in fron to him and he took us to the second stage of the EL in his first full season. Yet every time, every single time things don't go well, the same people come back out of the woodwork with the same disrespectful views.

I have no problem with people like yourself that think we could and should get a young Bielsa or a young Rafa.

2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    A sizeable minority? What the * is that?:56: what woodwork? What are these disrespectful views? Wanting a manager of Celtic to get a full 90 minute performance from his team? We have had maybe 2 of those this season.

This one of the best Celtic squads assembled in a good few years in my opinion and we have been terrible all season... that's on Lennon.

Last night he got praise for our first half performance but our second half performance and his management of the game was hideous and * at best..

So please spare us this we are all out to get Lenny *... :55:the team plays well he gets praise, when he makes a total * of it like the second half he will get criticism...

One point from six in the second tier European competition

Six points behind the huns...

These are facts....

And it's people like you IMO have settled for mediocrity just so you can have Lennon in the dugout...not me and not the sizeable minority by the looks of it

He either gets his team playing for a full 90 minutes or he can * off... is that too harsh for you?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Can’t remember last time we spunked out €30m Euro’s on a striker tbh.

In the last 2 years they’ve spent over £100m. That’s not our financial realm that.

We definitely can compete in the Europa League but it’s getting harder and harder. This is a team that’s going toe to toe with PSG at the moment, Champions League finalists billionaires playtoy.

2-2 is a respectable result against them, they’re a quality team. It’s just annoying the manner that it happened.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Could hear him constantly barking instructions last night looks more like him old self as i say trust the process and block out the noise

5. joemc

Sometimes if you draw attention to the issue you make it apparent there is a problem and everything you do after is unnatural , you think before the pass , you deliberate on every action and it creates more problems.
    Over stressing concern does nothing other than kill your confidence to make that call or decision , we all know the defence has been problematic , but sometimes that's caused by other areas of the team as well .
    Wot am saying is , he can't make to big an issue out of it or it becomes larger than life , it has to be a team problem , shared responsibility and hope it sorts its self once players bed in more and less changes are made .

6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    "sizeable minority"

:39:

@Random Review you would be better just naming the people you are on about rather than generalising stuff that is way off the mark. You have also go on to state "people like yourself" about me when I have never mentioned who or what I would rather have as my knowledge outside Celtic is pretty much zilch.

I can see the point you are trying to make but it's not being put across all that well :50:

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's the thing, mate: I don't think it is way off the mark. I think people's posts speak for themselves TBH. I really think that.

I just mean that you said you didn't think he is the man for the job, so I infer that you think we could get someone better, even if you don't have anyone specific in mind.

I guess my main gripe is that mostly it's been good times under Lenny, but as soon as anything goes wrong, some posters immediately bring back the same stance about him not being good enough from when he was given the job. It's getting tiresome now, mate.

Why would anyone reach straight for that every time when we still haven't had a fit striker all season except Eddy for part of it (who was in the worst form of his career due to being told about moves) and have had half our defence missing all season (different halves at different times) plus key midfielders like Forrest and Christie missing or not fit for key games.

Why, with all that, would people reach straight for the old disrespectful explanations?

As I say, I don't have a problem with people saying they don't think he's the man for the job as, indeed, you have; but I'm sick of hearing that he's a liar, a coward, a poor coach, knows nothing about tactics, too stubborn to play strikers (who he said weren't fit), a disgrace, can just * off...

I don't have to name names, the posts are there for all to see.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Liam Scales and joemc like this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He currently has the best squad in the country, and he had the best squad in the country for the majority of his first spell. It should be mostly good times.

However, when you look at this overall time in charge - yes we’ve some real highs (Barca, Lazio, league titles etc) - but we’ve had some absolutely brutal lows.

Cluj, Ferencvaros, Utrecht, Sion, Copenhagen, his first season when we bottled the league, his record in the cup competitions in his first spell, the last few performances against the huns, the CL group stage performance in 2013/14 etc.

So, like I said, the mostly good times is a bare minimum as a Celtic manager, given we should be winning the vast, vast majority of our domestic matches. However, despite a few highs, there’s been plenty of abject performances and results against teams who are a step above the likes of Aberdeen, but teams we should still be beating.

This going back and pointing at his win percentage is nonsense as well. The standard of the league over the last decade has been * miserable. You only have to look at the annual embarrassments of the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs in Europe. The current Rangers side is the only good competition we’ve had since 2011.

MacEwan likes this.
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

Leaving Rodgers, MON and Barnes aside (as no one is claiming he is as good as the former two and the latter isn't a manager) what has he failed to do that other Celtic managers of the last 25 years have succeeded in doing?

You can absolutely argue that we can and should attract another manager of the calibre of Rodgers or MON (I would disagree, but there's an argument to be had there); but people need to knock this * about him being a poor manager on the head as it doesn't stack up.

Dannybhoy81 and joemc like this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I genuinely haven’t seen anyone here that I think would like to see the club fail just so they could say ‘I told you so’ when it comes to Lennon. Way wide of the mark for me.

I have seen a few comments alluding to the idea that they hope we get beat in order to instigate change, and achieve longer term success. It’s a bit daft, but I can see the reasoning behind it - we would all happily accept a situation where we lost our next league game, changed manager and went on to win the 10, wouldn’t we? Celtic winning the 10 is infinitely more important to me than Lennon lifting the 10 (although it would be the icing on the cake).

The whole thing has made me really not want former players as managers tbh, or at least club icons like Lennon. Football management is such a cut-throat business - to paraphrase Batman - you basically die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. There’s very rarely any really happy endings.

Markybhoy likes this.
  11. Pogues

* knows where to start with this.

Individual errors from players have cost us, particularly Duffy, and that would suggest it's possibly not the best Celtic squad assembled in recent years. No doubt injuries have played their part but you cannae blame Lennon for that.

You are right we have won one point from 6 in second tier European competition. But against the team top of the league in France and AC * Milan. You seem to totally disregard the quality of the opposition. Some of the football we have played has been really good in both games, particularly last night, but let's have a go at Lennon.

You are again correct we are six points behind the Huns but conveniently forgot to mention the game in hand.

You say he needs to get players playing well for 90 minutes and not just 45 minutes. Do you no think the players have to take responsibility for that?

Folk need to calm down and give Lennon a break. We're only coming to the end of October and we're just starting to get some players back.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I didn't say that. I said that there are people who, if they had to choose between success and being right, would choose being right. A subtly different thing.

I don't think anyone is sitting there wanting us to fail so they can be right. There are ways they can be both and I imagine that's what they actually want.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not seeing the distinction at all there tbh.

Someone choosing being proven right over club success is absolutely no different to someone wanting the club to fail in order to be proven right. Failure by its very nature is the absence of success.

The bolded also feels very contradictory.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I dunno, I consider myself probably actually be one of the more vocal on here to think that Lennon should have left weeks ago, let alone after this weekend potential disaster.

But by * do I never want to see us get beat, ever.
    I want us to win the ten and I can't think of a better man to do it than Lennon.

I want to be proven wrong, I'm begging Lennon to prove me wrong.

But in a realist here, it's been all season this has been * and it's really just a matter of time. It'll happen within the next couple of weeks, or at the end of the season.
    Not in January or march or anything.

But honestly, I want to be proven wrong in that I think he is the wrong man to take us forward, that I think the job is too big for him and he's already done enough damage (and shown too little) to change this.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I never wanted Lenny to get the gig in the first place tbh, but regardless of who the manager is, we all want the same thing and that's a winning team on the park.

We have to get a result on Sunday, if no then Lenny should be out the door.

Sgt Neppers* and Peej like this.
  16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If I had to choose, I'd rather have a date with Rhianna than with Katy Perry; but I can assure you, I'm not sitting here fervently hoping Katy Perry continues to ignore all my emails and calls.

17. Bonobhoy

Totally agree.

But for many that doesnt matter,they want him gone regardless now. Even when he has changed it,by dropping Brown and getting Ntcham,by changing the formation to dropping the keeper, it aint good enough for them. Looking back at last nights game thread there was almost the feeling of everyone getting back on the Lenny bus until the stupid mistakes by the defence caused the draw......then suddenly Lennon got it tight, yet again. Yes he could have changed it up with the subs but hindsight is a wonderful thing. It wasnt him that gave away the penalty last weekend it was the fans favourite Ntcham,it wasnt his fault that basic defending has went out the window,you cant polish a * in Duffy.

I want him to succeed here and yes he has made a few mistakes here and there,but as you say the team has been decimated over the last 2 months and been chasing points since Boli incident. The MSM has done its job also on us and him,then throw in the * decisions from the refs already just 2 months in has been a disgrace even for their standard.

The Huns have momentum,thats it,and if anyone seen them last night they were blowing out their * 50 mins in,they have Benfica back to back and also throw in Kille on Sunday,they aint as mesmerising as some people think they are.....they are very close to running out of steam already and its up to us to capitilise on this.

We win on Sunday and i honestly believe we will turn the corner we have been waiting on,but he has to drop Duffy,get the subs right from now on and start showing some emotion,as the rest of the team now.Players are coming back,big game players,we will get this right soon.

Double Dutch and Pogues like this.
  18. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Obviously I've no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I can't help but feel losing Damien Duff was huge. Lennon is a good man manager and, at times, a good motivator, but I feel like Duffer was doing a lot of the tactics and player instruction side of things. Players have looked a bit more lost since he was replaced. Could just be a coincidence or me making something out of nothing though.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  19. celtic warrior

This has to be worst our defence has looked in decades and that's even considering times we've had to endure some real * being in our back line. In the last 20 years

We are shipping goals like they don't matter at all.

What's worse, without signing Duffy who would we have been able to call on when Bitton, Elhamad, Jullien were all unavailable?

It's frightening to think we could have been even worse off without Duffy despite how * he's been personally.

To some extent my reaction to all this has been somewhat kneejerk when you really take into consideration the state of our squad, but even then there is a part of me that argues, "well... Its been this way for years now and still nothing is done to cover shortfalls in playing staff, just so happens it feels like that approach is now coming home roost when we are trying to win the 10"

Our injury record throughout the squad has been * criminal for years now and with the added issue of this virus causing players to miss games it's making this season unbearable.

Celtic could have done so much more to ensure 10iar is not put at risk, from looking at different managers to signing adequate players (albeit on paper this window was one of finest) and yet here we are and arguably none of those have really worked.

Celtic are only here because Celtic put itself here, no one else, if we lose the 10 it's because we let it happen because the board would rather milk the cow when it's stressed then spend to look after it properly.

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Because Duffy has been guff means we dont have a great squad????? We have a squad jam packed with with quality all over the pitch... look at our attacking options, we havnt had this quality in a long time..

Played well aginst AC milan? He started 3-5-2 after it's absolute abject failure against the huns.. remember that game? And we played well for about 20 minutes...whoppy de * do da..

Last night we played well first half... we have 11 very talented players, bound to play well now and again but again he waited until we conceded two goals to make changes.. he hasnt a clue what to do when a game isnt going to plan...

You say the players should take responsibility for conceding the 2 goals but demand we give Lennon credit for going 2 up...? Its clear the team needed freshined up before we conceded the first... who's responsibility is that? Players or Managers?

Its clear some folk on here want to give Lennon credit when we have any good spell during the game and its all the players fault if we dont.. that correct?

Fact is we haven't won any big game this season...

Hungarian mob lost... huns lost... Aberdeen drew... Milan lost.... Lille drew(decent result)

You asked "where do I start with this?" Try starting with why our squad is incapable of a 90 minute performance.... ?

john2061 likes this.