1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    How can you blame someone when, by your own admission, you don’t know what he does or what his job entails? :43:

You’re assuming that because he was a defender in his playing days, then he’s employed to be our team’s defensive coach, which is false.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  2. Jeremie Frimpong

Why is it only an issue in this thread? Have a look at any other thread, and you will see praise, followed by criticism.

I feel compelled, after a win or draw, to sandwich any criticism of Lennon's management between positive sentiments, in order to avoid upsetting anyone, and I am sure that other people feel the same. It is completely unnatural: we criticise players freely, and no one pulls anyone else up for failing to balance their criticism with praise for the positive aspects of their performance.

If you look through this thread tonight, the prevailing sentiments are that the result is respectable, the first-half performance was good, the second-half performance was bad, and Lennon's game management was questionable: I think that is a fair assessment of the game, even if some posts fail to express each of those opinions in turn (as one would expect).

3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Credit where it’s due, a point tonight is a result that we’d all have taken pregame. However, the way it came about is extremely worrying. As Lille made changes and took complete control of the second half, we were totally stagnant and didn’t make changes until it was too late. He’s reacting to obvious issues (and even at that is far too slow to do so) instead of being proactive and it’s having a hugely negative effect on the team.

If we don’t win convincingly on Sunday, I really feel that Lennon absolutely must go. We’ve regressed massively under his leadership. He looks lost at sea tactically and completely bereft of ideas. Added to that, our fitness levels are a huge concern. He’s increasingly looking like he’s completely out of touch with modern football.

4. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    In-game management is bad, can always be undone by a manager switching it up on him or making substitutes at the right time.

5. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It is so obvious the Brown-Calmac-Ntcham trio does not work. I don't remember any game that three has been good. Yet he keeps insisting on it.Don't know if he is clueless or just stubborn!

In the second half, his changes came too late. The players were already knackered before 70mins had gone. But he did nothing until the 81st minute. Should have taken Ntcham off after 5 mins in the second off. Even after the first coal we conceded he did nothing when it was obvious we needed some fresh legs to lift the team.

Bottom line, some poor decision making from Lenny cost us a win today.

6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I think a good takeaway from tonight is that the players are playing for him.

Dannybhoy81 and Mystic Penguin like this.
  7. Jeremie Frimpong

I am one of Lennon's fiercest critics, and I was one of the first people to praise him tonight.

The first-half performance was laudable, and the result is respectable, but let's not get carried away: many people are justifiably disappointed by the manner in which we surrendered a two-goal lead.

I was sure to provide what I hope is a balanced assessment of the game, mindful of the inevitable backlash to any form of criticism directed towards Lennon, but other people, I am sure, are posting unselfconsciously, the way they would in any other thread.

Some people will see it as a point won; others will see it as two points dropped. It is only natural that some posts will be more positive, and that others posts will be more negative. Overall though, it is a mixed bag, which is exactly what you would expect after a mixed performance.

Some people may be so entrenched in their positions that they are unable to praise or criticise Lennon, but the vast majority of people are simply motivated by how they felt when referee blew the final whistle.

It is unreasonable to expect every post in this thread to be perfectly balanced: it is not the standard in any other thread.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  8. scootz

0-2 at half-time... away from home... against a top European team? That's when a manager should really earn his corn. I'm sad to say that Neil didn't. 2 points dropped IMO.

:54:

9. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I'd have taken 2-2 all day. Disappointing because we went 2-0 up obviously.

Individual mistakes are currently killing.

10. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Funny when it’s a game od
    Spot on mate, we were the better team in the first half and scored 2 goals v a team who have only conceded 3 in last 8 games, annoying v anyone to throw away a 2 goal lead

if halves had been reversed would probably have got more praise on a great fight back

Think no one getting carried away but I for one genuinely thought Lille would win comfortably tonight

11. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I didn't want Lenny as manager and understand some of the criticism, but can also praise him when required, that's severely lacking on here..

I don't see much balance and this thread is by far the worst for that.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Brian Dunphy likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Thing I took the most out of tonight is just how much we were working, that’s been lacking lately. He’s gave them a rocket and I think it looked like it’s worked.
    We desperately need Julien back though.

Sean Daleer and Mystic Penguin like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The biggest thing for me going into tonight was seeing some evidence that we can still work our way back up to the level we should be at.

I don't think there's any doubt we seen that. First half our shape was good, our pressing was good, dangerous going forward and very clinical.

Of course frustrated after letting them back in but I seen enough to think we're now on the right track.

Lennon I think has got too comfortable in the hot seat but has been given a massive kick up the * with events over the last week and a half. Hoping now he stays highly motivated and keeps pushing the players to do the same.

Still a long way to go obviously but some promising signs tonight. Near impossible to turn the recent * into sudden perfection away from home in Europe, so overall happy with what I seen tonight.

Also thought he nailed it in his post match interview which I've not seen mentioned yet.

Up the * RA

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  17. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    As always im backing Neil Lennon 100%. This is a guy who has stood firm in the face of adversity many times,
    Yes I would return to the tried and tested partnership of Ajer and Julien. Hopefully Ajer's injury tonight is nothing that will keep him out for long.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  18. CountyDownFaithful

I don't doubt that Lennon can get a team playing good attacking football - I've seen it in both his spells here as manager. But his biggest and most urgent task is to sort our defence out if we want to get our season back on track.

We have conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games - it's worth noting that yes it's been a tough run of fixtures but the manner in which we lose our goals is a huge concern. As individuals and a team, we severely lack defensive discipline. We never look confident when it comes to set-pieces. Too many players lose their 1-1 duals.

Injuries have hampered us, there is no getting away from that. Once we (hopefully!) have a fully fit squad, I think our defence for our European games and tougher domestic fixtures needs to be:

RB - Elhamed
    CB - Jullien
    CB - Ajer
    LB - Laxalt

That's a really good back 4 on paper IMO. It's harsh on Frimpong but sometimes we just need our best defenders on the park. We need to start keeping more clean sheets and building on from that.

19. Foley1888

For me the only thing you can blame Lenny for tonight was his changes came a bit too late, we got a good footing in the game when he brought Soro, Rogic and Welsh on at the end after having been on the back foot the full second half.

The defending for the goals was schoolboy stuff again.

On the positives we actually looked to play systems on the park and create overloads in wide areas to create 3rd and 4th man runs that got us going. For the first time this season our attack looked to have a plan. Likewise in our own half there were actual passing options instead of giving the ball to the full backs and expecting them to just run the length of the park they had support from midfield or the two supporting the striker. I see this as a positive as there’s been no sign of any of this so far this season.

belfastcelt likes this.
  20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I'm not convinced after tonight tbh, we still look so fragile at the back.

Tim-Time 1888, Peej, Hammy89 and 5 others like this.