1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Sounds so delusional man, has he not been watching the same games we have this season? Willing to try and put a positive spin on things and that he's showing a bit of fire that might ignite our season.
    Few big weeks ahead...

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Genuinely don’t know if he’s that out of his depth he actually sees nothing wrong with the performances or he’s just trying to save face because he knows it’s been awful.

3. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Respect and the lack of. I can’t think of anything else.

He had a public outburst about players leaving which by going by his words had been festering for some time.

I was shocked and even I cringed when I heard him saying it publicly. Tones like that send a message of deep rooted problems.

He just doesn’t strike me as someone the players have enough respect for or perhaps have enough belief in him as a manager anymore.

What was the other comment, some players think they’re better than they are?

Now he’s banging on about protecting players from unfair criticism and him taking flack regarding his position, total hypocrite.

Too many mixed messages and a return of the confrontational angry wee man - no control by the looks of it.

All this public chat he’s belching out can’t be doing any good for his standing with the players, nor the players mentality. * sideshow at times.

Crilly likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If we do replace him, it's not the time for a risky project..

We would need someone who can come in and get instant respect.. Which isn't easy to attract or cheap, PLs worst nightmare...

5. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

He's hardly going to come and say we're * right now. He's already had numerous howlers in the media recently.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Defiant Neil Lennon has launched a vehement defence of his Celtic management.

The Parkhead boss is adamant there is absolutely “no justification” for him to be sacked as he blasted back at scalding recent criticism of his work.

Lennon is also deeply irritated at his players being hammered individually and collectively after a three-game winless run where the squad has been decimated by key absentees such as star striker Odsonne Edouard.

The under-scrutiny Celtic gaffer didn’t hold back as he:

Savaged disrespectful online polls taking votes on whether he should be axed.

*Hammered brutal criticism from ex-players such as Kris Commons.

Rounded on individuals singling his players out for personal attacks and abuse.

Insisted he has the full backing of Celtic’s hierarchy.

Before jetting to France today for Thursday's Europa League tie against Lille, Lennon roared back through the noise and said: “It’s nonsense. It’s completely over the top.

“You have got two newspapers running polls on whether I should be sacked. Where did that come from?

“I haven’t seen that in 20 years. It’s completely disrespectful to me. It is really poor.

“We go through a little spell and conspiracy theories come out about dressing room break ups, fall outs, all that nonsense.

All of a sudden there is this groundswell after a tough week. When we went into the international break we had won eight games in a row and kept four clean sheets.

“What happened afterwards was the squad was disrupted and a little bit disjointed and we were playing good teams.

“Players are coming back, players are getting fitter. We have got a lot to look forward to. This knee * reaction stuff? You need to get used to it.

But it is well over the top. Some of our ex-players haven’t covered themselves in glory either.”

Lennon’s reference came after ex-Hoops winger Commons annihilated Shane Duffy and called him rank rotten.

The boss added: “Players getting singled out and abused, it is absolutely shocking.

“If that’s the way of the modern world. I am glad I am not a player any more.

“I am not happy with the treatment he is getting from certain quarters. I think it is hysterical. Comments that he is rank rotten and he is a bombscare. I find that ridiculous.

“I looked at that, in particular, because of what I saw from Kris Commons.

“I remember in Kris’s second season, he had hardly kicked a ball for Celtic that year. Now he’s digging out players and personally calling them out, which I think is wrong."

Lennon admits he delighted to have the backing of majority shareholder Dermot Desmond and chief-executive Peter Lawwell through this sticky period and says their support shows unity within Celtic.

He said: “Absolutely. I speak to Peter every day. We had a board meeting on Friday and that went pretty smoothly. I’m not out here on my own.

“I have got great support from Peter and the board, I have got great support from my backroom team who are really strong at the minute. That shows the inner strength we have here at the club.”

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Random Review likes this.
  7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Sorry, but Lenny himself has to understand why there's a lot of criticism surrounding him this season?

We've had 2 good games this season, Hibs at home and County away, in which County wasted a lot of chances against us. Every other performance has been us either scraping by a late goal or a poor performance overall. Outwith the way we play, his starting lineups and subs have been nothing short of disgraceful, I think Aberdeen was the first time this season I was really happy with the lineup and subs, and even then he done the subs too late.

It feels like he's forcing Brown into the side, and I really don't think Broony is good enough to start anymore. Perhaps a late sub when we want to see the game out, albeit he came on as a late sub against Aberdeen and was one of the few at fault for the penalty.

We've had 2 horrendous results at home already this season, and scrapped by into the europa league against teams we should have beat fairly comfortably, I still feel like he needs to go before we fall further behind the huns, but I feel like it'll be too before he leaves. Hopefully i'm wrong and we win the next few domestic games with a bit of oomph, but i'm not really confident.

8. ddub11

Great point regarding knowing Scottish football,can never understand why people say a candidate has to know scottish football.

You would expect any candidate to have the backroom staff/tools etc to pick that up straight away anyway.

9. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny deila was a championship winning manager from a comparable league(?) and ultimately the job was too big for him.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  10. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Here is where some of the problem lies with fans though, undoubtedly Lennon is a Celtic great and that will never be forgotten, but that was as a player, as a manager he’s struggled at both attempts with the same patterns emerging. If the current manager was Deila or a non-Celtic associated manager, they would have been out the door long, long ago. Some of our fan base are confusing sentiment with common sense. You can accept that a loved ex-player isn’t a natural manager, no matter if he was managing Celtic, Bolton or Hibs it’s always been the same outcome sadly.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    ede likes this.
  11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

This is the kind of mediocrity I’m terrified of people being comfortable with. We’ve dominated domestic football and you’re ok with us losing to Aberdeen in the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup?

We aren’t 3 points off the top. It’s 6 points and could be 9 by Sunday. The games in hand are not guaranteed when we are playing this badly.

Stop blaming the window too, it was fantastic.

Valhalla, ede and Noskeil like this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Lenny honestly says there exactly what I was thinking.
    I still back him 100%.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Why’s that * posting a highlight video with clips from years ago. What good does that do.

Valhalla, Connolly08 and Markybhoy like this.
  14. Markybhoy

It's obvious why. At a time when the team is struggling and Lennon is doing a poor job, post some videos from years ago to deflect attention away from that. We all know what happened years ago. We all know it was horrendous. We all supported him through it too. But none of it has any bearing on what is going on right now. There is no room for sentiment this season. Only one thing matters. Winning 10 in a row. And if a club legend needs to be sacrificed along the way in order for that goal to be achieved then that is just how it has to be. In a perfect world there is nobody I would rather have lead Celtic to 10 in a row than Neil Lennon. But if it looks as though he is not going to be capable of getting the job done, he has to go. It's as brutal and as simple as that.

Valhalla, RiquelmeCSC, Twisty and 3 others like this.
  15. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

See above

Peej likes this.
  16. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Given he watches a place in the sun, I’d wager he hasn’t. Just a hunch.

17. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Looks awful and has done for months.

18. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    The guy, like the rest of us as members of the Celtic family, is allowed an opinion.

19. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    As soon as Lenny stops lying to the fans and the players about how well the team are playing then he will get the backing of the fans

Tell it like it is.. we are not the gullible cnuts from across the city. We know when we are being fed *..

HONESTY & 100% COMMITMENT is all the Celtic support expect and demand.

20. Jeremie Frimpong

Lucien Favre won championships in Switzerland with Zürich, and guided Borussia Dortmund to second place in the Bundesliga last year.

Marco Rose won championships in Austria with Red Bull Salzburg, and guided Borussia Mönchengladbach to fourth place in the Bundesliga last year.

Urs Fischer won championships in Switzerland with Basel, and guided Union Berlin to a (respectable) eleventh place in the Bundesliga last year.

We could have ended up with someone like that. It is difficult to draw conclusions from a sample size of one.

rickyroma25 likes this.