1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    This is partly why I think we are going to need to get behind him more just now so he can try and turn it around.

Rightly or wrongly, I think that they are the type of names the board would go after if Lennon were to leave...

Starting to think it would be more of a risk at this moment to make the change of manger if that is the type of market we would shop in.

If he can get the next 3 domestic games out the way with 3 wins (not an easy task at the moment) then hopefully we can look a bit more positively at what’s ahead. These next 3 games are so important.

Dazza likes this.
  2. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    How many of our managers in the last 20 years have not had a connection with Celtic or Scottish football? 1 maybe? If Lennon were to go tomorrow I would be surprised if we went for a foreign manager to be honest, they will probably want someone who has a closer connection to the magnitude of the season.

3. Jeremie Frimpong

There are no managers at smaller English, French, German, Italian, or Spanish clubs who are attainable and competent? Or at midsized Belgian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish, or Ukrainian clubs? Or even at big clubs in comparable nations? I find that hard to believe.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hilarious.

5. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Barnes, wim Janson, Dr Jo, Delia and Rodgers who wasnt a Celtic fan in a million years

6. Jeremie Frimpong

Who has a stronger connection to the club than Lennon? Parochialism will cost us. We should be casting the net far and wide to find the best candidate available.

Valhalla likes this.
  7. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Och cheer up

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I completely agree with your sentiment; however, I don’t think the board will see it that way. Except from Deila, they never have.

I think next season requires wholesale restructuring from the top down and that might lead us to look at more talented managers from the continent.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  9. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I don't disagree, but we won't.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don’t know why we’re discussing managers when they don’t matter.

Just use the money saved on a player or two.

rickyroma25 and Sean Daleer like this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

In the close season yes. Casting the net far and wide at this stage in the season with all its historical significance would be madness.

If Lennon was to go in the next few weeks, brining in an up and coming manager with no knowledge of Scottish football would not be a good idea.

Mickmac and JC Anton like this.
  12. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    It's a difficult one but I would take the risk immediately. It has to be changed. We have to win the 10.

13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    My point was more why is there a next Celtic manager market... as much as I prefer a different manager to Lennon the bookies can go * themselves with that *..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Not saying that there doesn’t need to be a change, just that bringing in an unknown quantity at this stage of the season is risky.

Mickmac likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I’m happy pumpkin.
    :50:

16. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Don't get this whole idea of having a knowledge of Scottish football, I'd expect any quality coaching team to do painstaking research into every domestic opponent we face and find ways to beat them thats bare minimum stuff, the challenge is getting their message across to our players so that they buy into it and perform well.

Deila didn't fail because he didn't know Scottish football he failed because we had too many players who didn't give a * about his methods and had no respect for him. At the moment whatever message lennon is putting to the players they're not buying into it in the same way they did last season.

littlekennie, Twisty and neilly1987 like this.
  17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    We aren't 3 points off the top of the league though, it's 6 with a game in hand, which with the way we've been playing of late is a very different thing. The players already look like the pressure of the 10 is getting to them, add trying to claw back a defecit to that and we really can't assume the game in hand is a certainty.

Regardless, I genuinely hope you are right about him turning it round and bringing us the 10, even if I'm not so confident about it myself.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not having knowledge of Scottish Football shouldn't be terminal to any applicants prospects, if they are outstanding in other areas and thorough in their preparation but if there was to be a managerial change then it would be a bonus credential.

It's all hypothetical just now but if Lennon were to leave and a new manager came in, there will be very little margin for error for this guy given that we're already trailing and that the rest of the League don't seem to be taking points off the huns.

From that perspective any points dropped while a manager tries to implement a new playing style could potentially be terminal to the 10.

Many previous foreign players and managers have talked about a lack of understanding about how crucial it is, to win every single game. That concept is alien to many guys that haven't experienced it before.

At any other club a manager would be able to come in, shake things up a bit, take time to find his best XI, drop some points in the process and then go on a run hopefully.

Rightly or wrongly, 10 in a row dominates everyone's thinking at the club just now. If a new guy came in and it looked like we weren't achieving that goal then the pressure would be huge and arguably unbearable for most.

There's no guarantee with any appointment but I do understand why an understanding of the unique circumstances we find ourselves in is often favoured.

charlietully, Mickmac and Sean Daleer like this.
  19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Good point about deila mainstay British players didn’t take to him because his lack of English can tell by mulgrews stories on si ferry channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Rafa let's break bank get him in