1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Fair fair

2. CountyDownFaithful

The issue we face with replacing him is Peter Lawwell.

Lawwell self-admittedly ignored applications from good calibre managers as Lennon was always his ‘man’ / preferred choice.

Lawwell will want to give him time and even if Lennon does go, I don’t trust Lawwell to attract the right manager. Rodgers our best appointment in years was down to Desmond while Lawwell brought us the likes of Deila and Mowbray.

I don’t buy into the argument that the manager has to have a Celtic connection. I think that creates more unnecessary pressure but of course any new manager has to understand the size of the club and the expectations. Football has changed massively in the last 10 years and we need a modern manager who can bring a clear vision to the club that motivates and inspires the players, an identity to our play and someone who demands high standards on and off the pitch.

KRS-1888 and Peej like this.
  3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If you dont want Neil Lennon in the job thats fair enough but lets not make up bullshit about him looking like a 'beaten man'. Ive just watched his post match interview and in no way does he come across as a 'beaten man'.

StPauli1916 and Random Review like this.
  4. Sgt Neppers*

What about the last few months. What about the last year in games against the scum, what about Cluj, Ferencvaros, Copenhagen??
    What about poor usage of subs,tactics,formation, formation and squad, what about baffling contradictory interviews with the media.

Today in isolation wouldn't earn any manager the sack. The total regression on and off the park for the past few months is. Sentiment is dangerous in this profession.

5. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Why is he still here?

Out of all the ‘big’ clubs in Europe, we are surely the most * in our set up.

6. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Agree that he’s made a lot of mistakes mate but to say he changes nothing is wrong, every one said “ he’ll never drop brown “, he has dropped brown , people saying why does Taylor not got dropped, he’s went out and hopefully by looks of it replaced him with a far better left back
    People went on about Rogic should be starting which he did today

guys made loadsa mistakes aswell no doubt about it, everybody went mental when he never started with a striker when Eddie was injured for ferencvaros, Everyone saying we had 3 strikers to start watched klimala start v the Huns, guy was like a rabbit in headlights, Griffiths great goal the day but started v Milan, never got much service but look knackered at half time when he got subbed

Ajeti scored 5 good goals for us but started today, looked a yard off the pace and still overweight , did nothing, looked far better when he went off, so can see why on that occasion he didn’t trust them

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I said the same thing to someone who brought him into a reply to me, he won 8 trophies and got them to a Uefa cup final.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  8. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It just is not enjoyable to watch us play anymore and to be frank hasn’t all season. We all continue to watch the games because we are supporters and I will always watch Celtic.

That doesn’t mean it’s not become a complete chore to watch us and it’s stale/boring/predictable. There is no excitement in the build up to games, they are always predicated now by wondering what team is going to turn up and whether or not the tactics or team will be the right one.

That’s down to the manager not coaching the team properly, we are a team at the moment of individuals and we are winning games because of individual play and on the whole having better players. We are losing games and conceding too many goals because we are not playing as a team instead as individuals and it’s resulting in individual mistakes leading to goals.

The players are not covering for each other and I feel that is coming from the manager and his lack of ability to put a cohesive team on the pitch.

That isn’t how I want to feel watching Celtic I want to get that feeling back of joy and elation back and nervousness. Unfortunately I just don’t think Lennon can turn it around. We have been waiting and waiting hoping for that spark that 90 minute display that says yes we are back but it just doesn’t come.

We could wait all season for it and by then it’s too late. I would give him until the international break in November. If there is no spark by then he’s got to go.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You’re right when you say ‘big’.

Big fanbase. Big history. But we’re not a big club in Europe anymore. We’re the champions of Scotland who regularly fail to qualify for the CL and haven’t made a real dent in Europe in 17 years.

We’re in the same bracket as the likes of Cluj, Dinamo Zagreb, Red Star Belgrade etc these days.

10. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    To be fair he started Rogic today who set up two, and then brought on Griffiths who scored.

Depends who else is around, if we sack him we'll probably just end up with Kennedy as a manager

11. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Let’s be honest mate, we are not a “big “ club in Europe

12. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Getting to the last 16 in the champions league 3 times In last 13 year s and getting past the group stages is probably us making a fairly big dent in Europe when you look at the finances of Europe s elite Compared to ours but even just getting to group stages seems a million miles away now

13. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yes because those teams are being constantly mismanaged. I don't know how that's an argument.

14. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    So getting pepe guardiola Quoted as 1 of the best manager s ever , and zinedine Zidane Winner o f last 3 out 4 champions league As Their managerS and given them the biggest budget in world football to buy players is poor management

a don’t get that one

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That’s not making a dent in Europe. It’s big for us, of course. But nobody outside of Scotland takes/took any notice of it.

Basel have made the last 16 twice since the last team we reached it.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I mean, it’s * mental.:giggle1:

Valhalla likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I wouldn’t read too much into a quote from 9 years ago that Strachan says on a weekly basis. Both are correct as well, the modern hipster fan loves a tactic but ultimately the team with the best players wins trophies with very, very, few exceptions.

His honours list would suggest he knows a thing or 2 about tactics.

18. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    See you noticed Basel made it lol,a noticed it aswell and did think “ their punching above their weight whether that’s making a dent in Europe I’m not sure

19. john2061

Think now people we have came to the crossroads to we stick with him or sack him and bring someone in with fresh ideas .
    Some people shouting for Martinez the Belgium manager with Maloney as his number two and give him a good transfer budget in January .
    I think the board will give him more time maybe after the Motherwell game to see what the situation will be then .

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Have to agree on @PaulM1888 here, he's shown plenty that he does infact employ tactics; despite the ones that he's stubbornly been wedded to this season being very ineffective.

For Hibs he regularly out-thought Rodgers despite him having a vastly superior squad and supposed tactical superiority over him.

I remember bursting blood vessels at the Barca game and screaming for the full backs to push out to their wide men who were in constant space. After the game it was discussed that it was a tactic by design, cede the wide ground knowing they would be averse to putting crosses in and would try pass it back centrally, to the areas that we had packed.

This isn't to downplay his excruciatingly bad decision-making this season and I definitely think it's time up for Neil but it's just a fallacy to pretend he doesn't employ tactics. 9 year old quote or not he's shown plenty evidence since then that he does.

StPauli1916 likes this.