1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sgt Neppers*

Gotta love a good ol WhatsApp rumour.....although If its from the same person leaking the team line up we're *. :fear:

2. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    If he was sacked by Lawell why the * would Lawell reappoint him. He walked simple as that. Wish he would again

Noskeil likes this.
  3. dmccourt95

The same made up pish emerges every time Celtic go through a bad run

4. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Did everybody see the same daft rumour where Duffy had teeth removed but was forced to play? And Duffy had to hold Lennon back etc. Pile of *

5. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Zombie paws all over this!!! Reeks!!

6. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I agree with the first part but this “bad run” started in 2019.

7. DonnyCelt

If he gets it wrong tomorrow then its definitely the end for him. No more excuses.

8. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    In the current climate with no crowds for revenue I very much doubt we'll be throwing him out the door having to pay him off and then empty the safe for a superior manager.

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mon Lenny, let's see it

:ynwacelti:ynwacelti:ynwacelti

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON admits this has been one of his toughest weeks in management.

Celtic were beaten by Rangers and AC Milan after losing four players in a Covid-19 crisis.

Lennon has remained calm but warned he still has fire in his belly ahead of the crucial Premiership trip to Aberdeen. He said: “It’s been one of the hardest weeks I’ve had as a manager.

“The international break was really tough because we were getting one call-off after another.

We didn’t get the players together until last Friday and had to try and prepare them for a huge game.

“Off the back of that, we had to play a really good side in AC Milan.

I cope with things totally differently now, 100 per cent. I deal with it better.

“I wouldn’t say I’m more philosophical about it, but I take a step out and look in. I understand there are mitigating circumstances.

“Of course there are things I want to do better myself. And I want the players to do better.

“But I don’t take it as badly or as personal as I used to.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t care. Obviously, I do.

But I don’t get caught in the knee-* reactions and stuff like that. It’s not productive.

“Sometimes I question myself. I ask, ‘Do you care enough?’. But of course I do. I just handle it with a far more measured approach.

“It would be a mistake for people to think I’ve not got the same fire in my belly that I had before.

I have it more than ever, especially when my back’s against the wall.”

Lennon is far less animated on the touchline compared to his first stint as Celtic boss.

But he insists the days of him being a firebrand at the side of the pitch are over for good.

He said: “I’m not convinced being more animated in the dugout would work with this generation of players.

“I have changed my demeanour and I think it has worked.

“People over-analyse things. My touchline behaviour isn’t going to make them play better or worse. I’m used to the way my team works.

“I still get a bit animated, but I don’t want to permeate any anxiety over to the players.

“When things don’t go for me or the team, we get analysed. Every nuance is scrutinised to death.

But I’m not convinced that’s the way forward.”

Odsonne Edouard remains a doubt for Celtic’s trip to Pittodrie, with fellow coronavirus victims Nir Bitton and Hatem Elhamed out.

Lennon also revealed Christopher Jullien has gone to Germany in a bid to cure his back problem.

He said: “We’re missing Jullien because I thought he had a stellar season last year.

He’s gone to Germany to get some round-the-clock treatment and hopefully that will work.

“There isn’t much showing up on the scans, so it’s obviously a muscle or ligament problem.

“James Forrest is out of the boot, so he will have another scan to give us a better indication.

“But again, he’ll be out for at least a few weeks.”

11. DonnyCelt

If we have any ambition of winning 10IAR we will have too so that. Assuming the team carries on under performing and dropping points of course

12. SuperZidane

As far as I'm aware, Lennon is on a 12 month rolling contract and, as has been pointed out here at length, he is a cheap option. I believe the maximum Celtic would have to pay out would be his salary until May next year. If it came to that, I think DD and Lennon would agree some sort of payout and a "mutual consent" deal.

I agree that we would have to pony up for a decent manager - I expect that it would either be a manager who is currently out of work or another project manager.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why do you think the maximum period is May next when it is a 12 month rolling contact? Surely if given notice today it would be next October for it to to finish (or at least paid out to that point).

FranceCelt likes this.
  14. SuperZidane

Fai
    Fair point - I believe that he signed the initial contract at the start of June 2019 - I just assumed that each contract is binding for 12 months from the date of signature unless someone wants to terminate or change it - I could well be incorrect, as I say, its just as assumption on my part.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Exactly. Folk do it for a laugh and always get bites.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    @SuperZidane Wouldn't it make sense that the manager's contract ends at the end of June, the same way most player contracts do?

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    12 month rolling contract means every day he wakes up he has 12 months on his contract.

18. SuperZidane

I agree - I have never seen any indication that his departure in 2014 was anything other than his choice. At the time, he left both West Brom + Norwich were looking for managers. IMO Lennon has always overrated himself - I'm certainly he believed that he would walk into one of those jobs at the very least. When you look at it - The first league title that he won was the season that the Huns went into administration, the next 2 they weren't in the league at all. He never came close to winning a treble.

I don't think any serious English club was going to take a gamble based on his track record in Scotland - hence the only job he could get was Bolton.

If the worst comes to the worst here - I think DD is going to have to have a word with him. The only direction Lennon will go after Celtic is to a smaller club at best.

19. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That’s completely false.

In employment law a rolling contract runs from one date to another and automatically renews if neither side activates the break clause before a key date. For example, Lennon’s contract likely runs from 01/07/2020 to 30/06/2021 with a break clause/notice period of say 12 weeks, so either he or Celtic would have to notify the other side 12 weeks prior to the contract’s expiration date if they intended not to continue with the agreement.

So @SuperZidane, you’re right in what you said.

@Albian Ajeti, you queried how that works with compensation, but that tends to vary from contract to contract. It may be that Lennon would only be paid what is in effect his notice period, or it may be that it was negotiated into his contract that he gets a full year’s salary if Celtic were to terminate the contract early. Suppose it just depends how good his agent is and how generous Lawwell was feeling that day. In the event that Celtic gave him notice that they wouldn’t be renewing his deal at the end of the season, he wouldn’t receive any compensation.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Wasn't me who queried compensation, mate. :50:

McGrory1888 likes this.