1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

Serhiy Rebrov has won major honours in Ukraine and Hungary, and just led Ferencváros to the Champions League group stage, eliminating the champions of Sweden, Scotland, Croatia, and Norway en route. (I know nothing else about him. Why would I?)

He might be hopeless, but the search parameters 'eminently attainable' and 'exceptionally talented' are unlikely to return a result: that is why football clubs generally employ experts to assess managerial candidates.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Some of his titles have been the easiest of the 9. His first was by far his best.

Then he’s got 2 without real competition as we lost the main challenger and the rest of the league began to rise up to go for 2nd. He still had a job to do, but anything other than a league title would have been unthinkable.

He’s then came in finished off what Rodgers started and been given the job permanently, something I don’t think he earned. He didn’t do anything worthy enough while he was away.

The way we responded last season is something has to be praised for.

His domestic cup record is honking.

His time at other clubs has to be taken into account when you rate him as a manager, you can’t just pick and choose.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

* despise posts like this.

As someone that’s been forced to learn and understand mental health in the past couple of years, I hate people accusing other of being “ignorant” to it. That’s part of the entire problem, you actually have no idea about @Valhalla and his understandings or experiences with mental health.

Every * online becomes an expert about when it suits them so they can play the card and you’ve done that to defend Lennon, presumably because you have no other argument.

His mental health has nothing to do with his managerial ability. It’s not an excuse for his failings and it not a get out of jail free card for him to stay in the job or avoid criticism. You’re right about him being an inspiration, over his early years here he dealt with things 99% of managers never will. But all that doesn’t mean he can’t be critised for his actual job in 2020.

There’s a difference between criticism and a personal attack. Some people blur that line when they have an emotional attachment to someone.

4. celtic warrior

We could have and should have done better than giving Lennon a second run.

We have the ability to get in managers who are more progressive and modern than Lennon

The key to all this though is that we won't, the board will not go all out like they did for the rat, their margins won't allow for it.

5. SuperZidane

I agree - the board went for the cheap option. What I don't get is the people on here saying Lenny will "turn it round". How? - that "performance" on Saturday was nothing short of a ****ing disgrace. It is blindingly obvious that the players are not playing for Lennon - not 1 or 2 but most of them - he has lost the dressing room. The lack of activity and communication between Lennon, Kennedy and Strachan also speaks volumes.

He is tactically inept, the football is **** and then he comes out after matches and talks about a completely different game than the one everyone else watched.

If DD/Lawwell really gave a **** about the club, they would be lining up a replacement before its too late. DD should tap Lennon on the shoulder and agree a dignified "mutual consent" parting of the ways.

Lennon's arrogance is annoying - however, I would prefer him to step down with dignity sooner rather than later. The way things are going, his legacy will be as the man who cost us 10IAR.

seanm and RiquelmeCSC like this.
  6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

DD doesn’t give a * about the outcome of the season let’s be honest. He will gladly ride out this season with Lennon in charge.

Valhalla and Artorias like this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not by any means happy with Lennon or the team atm, but lets not pretend like this hasnt happened before Lennon.

in Rodgers last game vs them we were awful (granted not as bad as we were on saturday) and rangers suffocated our midfield and limited Boyata and Brown to long aimless balls.

We also became gradually worse in europe under Rodgers also and bottled a fair few games under him too.. AEK at home, Borussia Moechengldbach at home, Anderlecht at home to name a few where we simply failed to turn up.

Rodgers was a better coach and more professional and meticulous, but tactically he was often one dimensional and didnt seem to adapt to playing away in europe.

For the record, i feel that Lennon is worse tactically, but I feel that there has been issues with our team that have been prevalent for some time, namely defensive organisation and I believe its been highlighted more now that Rangers are stronger than what they once were and able to compete and at times dominate the midfield.

King of Kings likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MARTIN O’NEILL has backed Neil Lennon to silence his critics and win ten in a row.

Hoops gaffer Lenny is under-fire after his side’s 2-0 defeat to Rangers.

Celts are four points behind Steven Gerrard’s men in the title race, with the boss being scrutinised.

But Lennon’s mentor O’Neill reckons the criticism is hugely unfair.

He said: “People would probably expect me to stick up for Neil, but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t believe it.

“For one thing, this season is still in its infancy.

“Secondly, he won a Treble last season and that wasn’t too bad, was it? There is a rush to judgement at times, which I understand. If you lose a big game, like to Rangers, then judgements are made.

“People talk about systems and formations, back fours and back threes.

So you are open to criticism and that’s just the way it is.

“There’s not a lot anyone, least of all Lennon, can do about that.

“But what I would say is that it’s a long season.

By the looks of it, Rangers have been good this season at winning games they weren’t winning in the last few years.

They have been able to stick at it and show some durability.

“But Celtic scored very late in a game against St Johnstone, and that was important.

“It’s too early for criticism, particularly for a manager who has actually succeeded at Celtic, both as a player and a manager. He took over from Brendan Rodgers, and was able to turn that around to win the title.

“We all know this is a massive year, because Celtic are going for ten in a row, with Rangers desperate to stop it.

“For me there is real excitement about the season. I’ve always said those two teams need each other to be strong and I stand by that.

“Rangers are getting stronger, having been very weak a couple of years ago, as they tried to make their way through the leagues. Celtic had it all their own way, and now it’s different.

Rangers are pushing them. They were better in the League Cup final last season, and lost.

“For me that was because they had not won for a while, and Celtic were able to see it through.

“But there is a long way to go this season. Rangers have piled pressure on Celtic, and it’s up to them to keep that going, not to drift off like they did last year.

“Rangers will get a lot of confidence from winning at Celtic Park. In terms of criticism of Lennon, from where I’m sitting, I’d say that was unfair.

“People will say I would say that, but I would point to the success Lennon’s had there.

When Rodgers left someone had to go in and keep it going, and I don’t believe there was anyone else who could have done that other than Lennon.

“I think he’ll be able to deal with any criticism that’s coming his way, even though it stings.

“But overall it’s part of the territory. He has been able to deal with those things in the past, and I believe he’ll be able to deal with this now.

“Do I think Celtic will win the league? At their strongest, they are still better than Rangers, so I believe they will do it.”

9. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He didn't win the treble last season - we still have a chance to win the Scottish Cuo so it shows how much thought Martin put into his comments.

The Mole leaking the team before the game... well seen the same mole had no tactics to leak ;-)

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Sounds like a bring me home call :fear:

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    and you have no idea about mine. Pot kettle, you criticise me then go on to assume a lot in your own post. Hypocritical *.

12. seanm

its quite simple guys. if lenny stays this happens .we go toe to toe with the huns and keep a point behind them they we play them at ipox and lose.if he is in the dugout this time next week we can kiss 10iar goodbye. if there had been fans at that huns game and we played like that lenny would be gone by monday .no doubt in my mind. love the guy but any manager who sits on his * in the dugout the whole game can gtf.if your a player trying hard and you look over and see him not giving a * then you just give up. his interview afterwards was * awful too. and the mole leaking the team ffs . lennon will NOT beat a gerrard hun team. this league wont even go 38 games so we have very little time to get a new manager in. if he stay kiss 10iar goodbye imo.and i dont give a flying * if we beat milan then lose to aberdeen.watch lennon play our top 11 on thursday and expect the same 11 to be fresh against the sheep.put a second string team out on thursday ffs if he doesnt we wont beat aberdeen and leagues over. simples.HH

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Why wont the league go all the games? We have testing to make sure it does.

14. StevieBhoooy!

Hopefully all the ‘firefighting’ by his ‘friends’ is because they know how shoogly his peg is.

Just need the board to act swiftly on it.

If he was able to recognise his own failings ... he should/could have resigned/agreed terms already. The fact he hasn’t shows (for me) the same stubborn mindset that has lost us important games and will continue to do so.

15. joemc

Good post m8

16. seanm

brilliant.HH

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yes the football under Rodgers towards the end was * too like Delia and Strachan etc.... I wasn't that upset when he left. I believe most managers have a certain cycle of about 3 to 4 years and then it needs changed to freshen things up...unfortunately for us Lennons was 8 years ago.

MON the first of his mates to defend him in the media.. I expect Sutton, Hartson and co to follow suit..

18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not at all happy with Lennon, that I have to make clear.

But let's not let the players off the hook here either. Almost to a man they have been poor this season, sauntering about the park, no oomf, evident lack of morale and spirit. And I don't need replies saying "that comes from the manager". He bears the brunt, and rightly so, but players are not kids, they should know better. Of course we have got the results up until the weekend, but that's not a Celtic side I'm seeing every week.

When you are on the pitch you have a responsibility too, see how things are going and react accordingly. Griff, Klimala, and even though he has done my * in at times, more recently Ajer, have actually shown some desire. I've moaned at them for being greetin-faced before but it's better than a no * given attitude.

Lennon absolutely needs to change a few things himself, stop shoe-horning and playing people out of position, it's been discusssed to death now, but he isn't going anywhere. The guys on the park need to start repaying US, the fans, if they won't do it for the manager.

19. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Well said Martin !!!!

20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Also we keep hearing that Lenny is a very intelligent man etc..

So how come a very intelligent man cant see playing no strikers in a one off champions league game wasnt working or that 3-6-1 is utter bollix but yet he persists with it..

We can all see it why cant he?