1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bonobhoy

Thats a * red neck,a psychologist?

Maybe employ some more players into positions that we need pre season instead of punting money into this *.

The * tactics/formations and lack of creativity lost us out in europe,i'll tell you that for * free,not for a fee of a psychologist

oh bhoy and LectersLuncheon like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON says that Celtic joining a British Premier League would make them a ‘megaclub’, and he believes that the club’s majority shareholder Dermot Desmond could be the man to finally make such a move happen.

Desmond raised the idea of Celtic and Rangers joining a cross-border competition in an interview with The Athletic yesterday, claiming that the Old Firm are in the top eight of British clubs by any metric, and Lennon seemed enthused by the prospect when it was raised to him.

With the Covid-19 pandemic changing the financial landscape for football, Lennon reckons the time may have come for the long-discussed exit of the Glasgow giants from the Scottish game. When asked if Celtic needed to be in competition with English clubs to move on to the next level, Lennon said: “I think there is no question of that and I think it is something that has been talked about over the past 30 or 40 years.

“It’s always been rebuffed, but you just don’t know what the landscape for football is going to be like if and when this pandemic dissipates.

“Again, Dermot is very high and has really good contacts, be it football associations or football clubs. He has his finger on the pulse and he always wants what is best for the club.

“If and when that scenario arises, he will make that right decision alongside the board to do what is right for the club going forward.”

Meanwhile, Lennon dismissed any suggestion that star striker Odsonne Edouard was unsettled after a below-par performance against St Mirren on Wednesday night.

“He’s fine,” Lennon said. “Odsonne is a 22-year-old player and sometimes we expect a lot of him because he’s a mercurial talent.

“I don’t think he’s playing badly, probably not at the level he was when we came to the lockdown, but I’m pretty confident that will come.”

3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    It's certainly disquieting. Add the weak performances of late. We win but do we really fancy ourselves against stronger opposition? We all have a sense of something a bit off and none of us wants to think that there might be real problems in the squad. Whatever it wasn't a good idea to go public with it.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    A psychologist, really Neil?

What's next? How about some healing crystals? Can we all lie in the semi circle and join our chakras? Maybe we can get a Ouija board and conjure up big Jock?

You don't need a crystal ball to see that Lennon is making an * of things.

oh bhoy likes this.
  5. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Most big clubs have psychologists just like many companies do, our players are human not robots, things happen outside of football that can affect players and having a psychologists gives them a platform within the club to express that and get help, from serious to things like fear of failure etc

Forestbhoy66 and Mince.Charming like this.
  6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

That’s extremely naive.

7. Jeremie Frimpong

What an odd post. Psychology is an established science.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    While we should have a sports psychologist employed, the best psychologist in the world isn’t going to cover up Lennon’s * ups in the qualifiers.

The problem wasn’t players mentality. It was tactics and coaching.

MacEwan likes this.
  9. stew37

I'm surprised we didn't have a sports psychologist before now to be honest, it's fairly common place in most sports now.

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Exactly what I was going to post. In all honesty I'd assumed we'd being doing this for over a decade.

stew37 likes this.
  11. CountyDownFaithful

That article is absolutely embarrassing.

Lennon has consistently praised the ‘winning mentality’ of the squad since he took over.

Now all of a sudden some of the players are weak minded and unable to cope with the pressure of Europe.

He refers to some games we should have won - I’ll assume that’s Cluj, Copenhagen etc. Whilst there was individual mistakes made in those games, it all boils down to team selection and tactics. We never managed any of those games well. We came from behind against Cluj and instead of cementing our position in the game we kept chasing an extra goal and got pick pocketed twice. That’s a Lennon thing because I watched him wave the players forward from the touch line. Similar thing happened against Copenhagen.

Regardless there was no need for his comments and making this public knowledge. It only adds fuel to the rumours (that he started) that certain players don’t want to here and aren’t fully committed. I love Lennon but these media mistakes need to stop.

oh bhoy likes this.
  12. oh bhoy

right neil can you visualise winning a champions league qualifier without playing players out of position can you feel what it would be like to have a coherant stratedgy ,repeat after me 'broony you aint starting today'

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Wow. :52:

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hopefully this psychologist can encourage Greg Taylor to try and pass the ball forward.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Some embarrassing posts in the last page.

Psychology isn’t some sort of voodoo magic where Neil leaves his healing crystals out overnight to be charged up by the full moon. It’s an established medical practice. One that often saves lives in fact.

It’s also commonly used in top level sport, where all anyone is really trying to do is squeeze out every extra incremental bit of performance. The bulk of that comes from an athletes ability and strategy, but I can assure you the small things - pre/post/intra-event nutrition, injury prevention, psychology, even just things like warming up properly or transport, accommodation and sleeping well make a subtle difference.

Saying psychology isn’t something we should be looking to improve is a bit like saying the mental aspect of the game doesn’t matter, which we know not to be true. One of the most important factors behind being a success here is how well a player adapts to the ‘win every game’ expectation.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Slightly surprised it's something that isn't already in place..

Anything that give us an extra percentage, especially with there being no fans in the grounds.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

This, the only thing that’s embarrassing is it’s taken a year to put it in place. Sports psychology is absolutely massive at the elite level.

The elite of the elite in football, the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, are where they are not because they were born to be the best - it’s because of hard work, dedication and (most importantly) a driven mental attitude. Anything the club can do to harvest that is a win for Celtic.

18. oh bhoy

theres nothing wrong with psychology ,trying to shift the failings of the manager onto the mentality of the players is * up .jim mcguiness was brought in for this and not replaced

Jeannie960 likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Well said mate.

Sent from my Chakra swing using Tapatalk

bagforlife and King of Kings like this.
  20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    See that’s how I read it. That’s not saying we shouldn’t have one on staff for all the reasons stated above. Lenny maybe mishandled the situation a wee bit and is now trying to give some validity to it. Unfortunately it’s left people questioning the mental strength of the team pointing blame straight back at them again. I love Lenny for what he’s done too but he’s far from infallible when it comes to pointing the finger. I don’t feel good about some of the vibes coming out just now