1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Doubt we'll bring in another LB unless we punt Boli, which would be a considerable ask :(

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Ajeti on loan I'd imagine now the season has finished down here..

I'm quietly confident we'll get 4 or 5 in still..

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    On loan to Rapid maybe..

There's no doubt Lenny doesn't rate him at all..

HTG likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Apparently we are trying to punt him

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. CountyDownFaithful

The lad Cohen from the Israeli league who we were linked with not long ago would fit the bill.

6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Strange Lenny wants a striker in. Hopefully this is just to scare griff into sorting himself out. Otherwise if no movements striker wise we’ll have eddy, griff, klimala, bayo, aitchison and afolabi in that order at the club? With moi coming back too that’s basically The end of 3-5-2 so don’t see why we’d need 6 strikers on the books

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: "It's exciting the anticipation is building now. It's a long time since we've had competitive football but we've done a lot of work since the middle of June and it's been a good week so far - all the lads are fit apart from Mikey Johnston.

NL: "We're going into an historic season, but we can't let that get away from the day-to-day work and the standards and values the club has set over the last few years."

NL: "We've not really touched on the magnitude of the season yet, we'll probably do that over the next 24hrs. We have to get to work on what's expected of us, in order to accomplish what we want."

NL: "We're very pleased (with Vasilis Barkas). I think he'll be a very good addition to the squad. He's got a good presence, good size and he's very composed. He's got good reflexes and he's comfortable coming for crosses which is what you want in the Scottish game."

NL: "The hype (of the season) is something we can't control. I dont think the pressure is as intense as it was winning seven, eight and nine really. It's up to the rest to stop us, rather than us putting ourselves under massive pressure."

NL: "We're going to have to adapt quickly to no crowds and get used to the lack of atmosphere but we have to approach every game as we have done in the past."

NL: "Hamilton might take the lack of a home crowd as an advantage but they still need to play our team. What I expect from them is good energy, well drilled, well organised and well coached. We have to be right on it."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Mince.Charming and McChiellini.. like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

:lenny2:

:ynwaceltiHere we go!!!:ynwacelti

:party22::party048::party22:

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON has refused to rule out the signing of former Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher as he looks to bolster his attacking options for the coming season.

The Celtic manager admitted he was an admirer of the 33-year-old ex-Scotland forward when asked if he would be looking to add him to his squad, and said that he is still looking to bring in striking options.

But he wouldn’t be drawn definitively on whether or not Fletcher is a contender to join Celtic this summer.

“He is a good player,” Lennon said. “I am not going to confirm or deny that, I don’t want to talk about individuals.

“We have been linked with a lot of strikers, midfield players, centre halves. There are one or two areas we want to add to because we have let a few players go. We let seven or eight go and we have only added (Vasilis) Barkas to the squad so I think it’s important we bring some quality in, in the areas we are looking for.

“I think it’s the most important position on the pitch. We have had a few injuries and a few absentees in that department so if there is a quality one available and we think it’s the right thing to do, we will pursue it.

“We will take a view on the squad later on down the line.”

Lennon says though that the likes of Vakoun Issouf Bayo may still have a future at the club too.

“He pulled his hamstring in Loughborough,” he said. “He has been out for the last few weeks, he is just back out on the pitches doing some rehab and physical work. We are hopeful he might start training again next week.”

The Celtic manager also hopes that offers don’t arrive for his top talent before the closure of the transfer window in October.

“In the last couple of years we have sold players for a lot of money, Moussa Dembele and Kieran Tierney,” he said.

“We have adjusted accordingly to that. It is always difficult when you see top quality players go but, look, we have sort of been doing that for the last 10-12 years.

“There may be interest in one or two of our players, but we haven’t had any phonecalls about any of them, which has been a pleasing aspect of pre-season so far.”

Neil Lennon insists bagging another top class striker is his main priority as the Celtic boss gears up for an epic campaign.

The Hoops boss is in the hunt for in-form Peterborough ace Ivan Toney and West Ham frontman Albian Ajeti, while former Hibs and Sunderland targetman Steven Fletcher is a free agent and has offered his services.

Celts saw a £5million bid for Toney rejected by Posh while Ajeti is weighing up his options and Lennon confirmed he wants to bolster his fire power for the bid for 10 In A Row.

He said: “it’s the most important position on the pitch. We’ve had a few injuries and absentees in that department so if there is a quality one available and we think it’s the right thing to do, we will pursue it.

“We’ll take a view on the squad later on down the line. It’ll be a club decision whether we see it as value for money.

Fletcher is a good player. I’m not going to confirm or deny that, I don’t want to talk about individuals.

We’ve been linked with a lot of strikers, midfield players, centre halves. There are one or two areas we want to add to because we have let a few players go.

We let seven or eight go and we have only added Vasilis Barkas to the squad so it’s important we bring quality in, in the areas we are looking for.”

Lennon snapped up keeper Barkas in a record £4.5m deal and Celtic have shown they mean business with the big money bid for Toney.

The pandemic has hit football finances across the globe but the Hoops gaffer is confident he’ll
    be given the funds to tool up for a potentially historic campaign.

Lennon said: “The market is open and we have seen some big names and big money being bandied around already.

“It’ll be interesting to see how it settles down. We’re very wary that there may be interest in some of our players and that’s something we will have to deal with as we go along.

“But we will look to add to the squad. We’ve had Mo Elyounoussi in the building for a few weeks.

“Barkas is the first real new addition to the squad so we will be looking to add to that as we go along.

“We’ve been patient and it’s been difficult but I don’t think it’s been any more difficult than any other transfer window.”

Lennon wants to keep hold of his key men and he revealed there’s been no approaches for in-demand stars such as Odsonne Edouard and Kris Ajer.

He said: “In the last couple of years we’ve sold players for a lot of money, Moussa Dembele and Kieran Tierney. We have adjusted accordingly.

“It’s always difficult when you see top quality players go but we’ve been doing that for the last 10-12 years. There may be interest in one or two of our players but we haven’t had any phone calls about any of them, which has been a pleasing aspect of pre-season so far.”

Celtic will unfurl the Premiership flag before kicking off the campaign against Hamilton tomorrow behind closed doors.

Barkas is set to be on the bench while Mikey Johnston is facing up to eight weeks out after
    calf surgery.

Lennon welcomed government plans to re-introduce crowds from next month but he’s just thrilled the season has been able to get started on time.

He said: “It’s brilliant to be back. No-one knew what was coming. Scotland has dealt with this pandemic as well as anyone.

“It’s brilliant to have football back and I hope it stays that way. We see in some other countries the danger of a second spike and that’s something we want to avoid

“It will be quite poignant when the games start but it will be even better if and when we can get fans back in the stadiums.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  11. Conlon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Past - Henrik .... Present - Who knows
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing... among others
    Please naw

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    He's throwing the media a bone with the Fletcher chat in my opinion..

The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s playing the game.

Giving them a little bit.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'd take Fletcher if he was willing to be on a low wage and play only 10-15 games across the season, with the potential for a coaching role if he wants it.. Hed bring experience and a different option to anything we have.

Say what you like but his hold up play is class.

Punt Bayo. Maybe still loan Klimala yet even for 6 months. Fletcher in on a free and another striker for decent money.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fletcher has also consistently done well for his age in a * sheff Wednesday team in a good competitive league. Like you say it it was a low wage and a short 1/2 year contract I don’t see why getting him in is a bad thing. Will still perform up here for us. Can take the pressure off eddy so we can rest him more frequently when things are going well

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON thinks Nicola Sturgeon is doing a good job keeping Covid-19 out of Scotland.

He just wants her to stay true to her word and let the fans back in.

The Scottish Government announced on Thursday that reduced crowds could be back at games from September 14.

That means the following weekend’s Celtic Park clash with Livingston would be the first with supporters present.

But just 24 hours after the First Minister’s statement, Boris Johnson delayed lockdown-easing plans down south.

Hoops boss Lenny is delighted to be back kicking off the new season and hopes fans are soon in grounds alongside him.

He said: “It’s brilliant to have football back and I hope it stays that way.

“I think Scotland has dealt with the pandemic as well as anyone, but we are seeing the danger of a second spike in some other countries.

In the football industry, people have been working very hard in the background, covering all the bases in terms of safety, protocol and health.

“The government here has done a fine job of protecting the public and the NHS as best they can.

“I think it’s going to be quite poignant when the games start.

“But it will be even better if and when we get supporters back in the stadiums.

Looking at the English game, the novelty soon wears off after one or two games without crowds there.

“Speaking to other coaches, the players down south have found it difficult at times, so that’s something we’ll have to keep an eye on.

But in terms of getting the game up and running again as best we can, it’s fantastic.”

Celts are keen on crowds, even ones as small as 1,000, being allowed into grounds from later this month as ‘test cases’.

Lennon said: “Getting the supporters back is the key.

“We played a few games in France and having 5,000 fans in Paris was a nice bonus.

“We played against a quality side and it was good to have a sense of atmosphere.

“We’re very much at the forefront of supporting having fans into games.

“If the trial goes well then we can progress it further because football and fans go hand-in-glove.

“The players want it as much as anybody

In football the most important people are the fans and the players. It would be great to have them back in tandem again.

“It’s easy to say we need to replicate performances as though the supporters were in there and in theory that sounds great.

“But in practice we need to get as close to it as we can.

“It’s the opening day of the season and we want to start with a really good performance and a win.

“We know the challenges that lie ahead of us and there’s been a real sense of anticipation building over the last few days. There’s pros and cons of fans not being there. Sometimes the support plays a huge part driving the team on, but if they are a bit anxious that can permeate through to the players.

“But there hasn’t been much evidence of that in the last couple of years I’ve been back at the club.

“We want the fans back in because they are synonymous with Celtic.

New £4.5million Greek goalie Vasilis Barkas is Lennon’s only permanent signing of the summer so far and he was coy on a move for former Scotland striker Steven Fletcher.

The veteran is a free agent after turning down a new deal at Sheffield Wednesday. Winger Mikey Johnston is out for six weeks after calf surgery and Vakoun Bayo will miss the start of the campaign after pulling a hamstring at Celts’ Loughborough training camp.

Lennon added: “Barkas is a keeper the club have liked for quite a while, going back to when we played AEK in the Champions League qualifiers.

“Stevie Woods has been keeping his eye on him. He’s a good size, really composed, a good shot-stopper and really good at coming for crosses.

“He’s a good age and hopefully he’ll make the same impact as some of the other keepers we’ve had over the years.

“Scott Bain is a very good goalie and he might start on Sunday, then we’ve got Conor Hazard underneath.

“The transfer window’s open and we’ve seen some big names and big money being bandied around already.

“We’re very wary there may be interest in some of our players and that’s something we’ll have to deal with.

tarboltontim likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Can see some being a bit * off if you've got a season ticket but not part of the allowed crowd. Wonder how theyll decide who goes? Live raffle on celtic TV? :56:

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Rad Stewart drawing the names oot a hat again

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Makes sense to me. If we can find a buyer for him we should sell him. He has his moments going forward but he is just not there defensively.

20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Surly would be worth bringing him for a few weeks trial and then make a call, see where he is fitness wise and how he fits in with the squad???