1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Adapt it in what way? Go more direct and get the ball in the box at the first opportunity? That’s what we done yesterday and against Hibs.

That’s when we look clueless and it just plays into the oppositions hands in this league.

Blochairnbhoy and Whoflungdung like this.
  2. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Aye we were useless yesterday when we were missing out the midfield and trying punts into Edouard, we don't have the personnel for long ball football, if that's going to be plan b then you need players on the park that can play that style, Jullien hanging around up front trying to win headers isn't the answer.
    Only time we looked decent was when elyounoussi had the ball on the ground and was actually taking on the livingston players.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What is that belief based on though?

It's not historical points totals at the half-way mark as I've said, that would be the 2nd highest total in history after 19 games.

In my opinion, setting unrealistic expectations like that isn't helpful and only causes mass hysteria when those expectations aren't met.

We're generally always better in the 2nd half of the season when we haven't got as much fixture congestion with the League Cup and Europe. As long as we're on top at the end of the season and I've seen nothing so far to suggest we won't be.

Mickmac, Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye that's scare-mongering. We definitely don't NEED to take maximum points til we play them at new year..

We'll both drop points between then. For what it's worth, I'm pretty certain they'll drop a fair few more than us..

Can't remember the thread but our next 8 game's are very favourable. Can see us taking at least 22 from the 24 available..

I actually think we'll be back top before we come in to December. Then we'll see what they're made of..

History has shown that this lot will crumble. What we have done.....is allowed them to creep back in and gain a bit of belief though. We all know how that goes..

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

No harm in having high aspirations but setting your expectations as the 2nd most successful domestic half-season is inevitably going to lead to disappointment.

I'm of the same belief as you. Pittodrie away and Dingwall away after European ties on the Thursday are the 2 banana skins (that SPFL computer sure has a tendency to randomly select us an away tie after Europe eh? :giggle1:)

McChiellini.. and StPauli1916 like this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We should've started Bayo as soon as the pitch state was evident.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Spot on mate..

The good thing about those two are.....no plastic pitches. The sheep are brutal this year and we generally have their number. Both don't seem to be too strong at home. Ross County don't seem the typical promoted park the bus type outfit either..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye.

The perfect game plan against a Livi team full of wean eaters is to go long and direct.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, we should have more than enough to see by them both.

Good thing is we're at home for both of the Europa ties so it's not a case of getting home on a Friday then a long bus journey up for a Sunday lunchtime kick off.

Just got to get back into the game-by-game mindset, remain calm and filter out the noise from the sidelines.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The pitch was not conducive to passes on the ground.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That pitch is more suited to passing on the ground than our team is to high balls.

Not even including the fact we were up against the most physical team in the league.

12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Games like yesterday can happen, look at Man City on the same day as us. It’s how we respond now. The pitch is the same for both teams and we have played on plastic and won before so no excuses about that.

Take one game at a time now, unusual position for us tbh, it’s quite different as being behind Hearts ect as you know they will fall away.

wish this international break would GTF and we can get back behind the Bhoys!!

13. Jeremie Frimpong

Our current position, nothing else. It's not hysteria.

I recognise how difficult it will be, but it's our reality until something changes. (It's not a stick to beat Lennon with either. I think he's started the season very well.)

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough. Hearts topped the league last year until mid November and we ended up 36 points ahead come the end of the season.

There is loads of football still to play. You're entitled to your opinion but I don't see how anyone can say we "can't afford" to drop points between now and Christmas.

There's a high chance we will but there's also a good chance that we'll still be top of the league even if we do. That's what I think will be the outcome and that's why I said bookmark the post. Apologies if it came across dickish.

15. oh bhoy

Should have been loads of changes Hayes ,ntcham,Sinclair, bayo have al! Been in the first team wouldn't have created that much disruption though it was a perfect opportunity to give more a run out.they put in a * of a shift on thursday with more energy in the team maybe could of avoided resorting to hoofing it

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Don’t see the point in people comparing past starts or past seasons.

Simple fact is right now we are behind.

After the next round of games we could very well be ahead.

But we shouldn’t be banking on or guaranteeing the Huns will drop points, we should be looking to win every game one at a time to take maximum points.

It’s that simple. Worry about ourselves and we will be fine.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  17. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You're only comparing it to his last season and we know he'd just lost Dembele and the whole Boyata nonsense was going on and everything was unsettled.

I mean consistently, even if we went behind in a game we were patient and employed a methodical approach. It happened a lot over his tenure. At the moment we are going gung ho if we go behind and trying to force it by playing a direct style that negates the technical advantage we have over the other teams in the league.

18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Nope sorry, I think we ain't going to agree here.

You say last season we had just lost dembele and we had the boyata thing going on. This season we lost Tierney and still have yet to see Griffiths make a full return. Losing Tierney and and not getting Griffiths back is bigger than losing dembele and watching boyata sulk imo. Also we have an entire new defence still gelling together.

Ironically i think our finest moments last was when we conceded an equaliser to one of the redbulls teams (Leipzig I think). We go back to kick off and gung ho our way up the pitch to go back ahead.

To be fair to you mate, am probably a ballache you don't need here :giggle1:

I do get very defensive of Neil Lennon, I just think the comparisons to Brendan is just wrong. Because of Brendan's cv everyone just has the snake as the better manager by default. I actually prefer watching Lennon's football. And whilst I get the possession based game certainly has huge benefits we need to respect we are not Barcelona here. We have an amazing squad granted (particularly compared to livi) but watching the likes of boyata and jozo move the ball from side to side when we are 1-0 down used to infuriate me. Particularly given boyata could misplace a pass on any given weekend.

Lennon talks about playing with purpose and I buy into it. If you go a goal down pass the ball from side to side it might work but I do want to see the ball moved more directly and urgently. I want to get back infront asap. On this occasion against Livingston it didn't work, we was also playing with 10 men mind. But as I pointed out, the patient possession game didn't work this time last years against Kilmarnock, hearts and st.mirren.

Cannot just say Lennon's direct football vs the snakes possession game is worse based on the stats either

19. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Agreed. I much prefer watching Lennon's style of football and so far there's nothing to suggest it can't be just as successful.

Whoflungdung and stubhoy07 like this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Well, he is.