1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not for me at all JC.

Cant see that 2 working either. Christie still adapting to being a proper CM as well so it's a lot to ask for in a 2 man midfield against what will normally be 3 CMs they're up against.

3-5-2 for me at home then the normal formation any other time.

Rydo1888*, Tommy25 and JC Anton like this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, I don’t particularly fancy it either, but it could work if played properly. Ideally we would have a new DM so it could be an option..

I really like 3-5-2, we need two new strikers in the box at times. Not sure it works that well for Forrest tho, think 4-2-3-1 is ideal for him..

Tommy25 and Mr Shelby like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    sPOTTED IN sWEDEN
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lenny is en-route to Stockholm. Hopefully to get him.... <a href="https://t.co/nFjXKf0zpc">pic.twitter.com/nFjXKf0zpc</a></p>&mdash; Neil Gallacher (@Neilyboy67) <a href="">July 5, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Peter Ankersen ?

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

For me if he's looking to put his own personal stamp on it then he needs his own personnel in to suit his system. Shoe-horning in players that were good for us in a 4-2-3-1 into a midfield 4 isn't going to work.

Rogic for a start doesn't have the legs for a 4 man midfield that will regularly be up against an extra man.

McGregor as much as he was a revelation in the DM role in domestic football does not have the physique or ability to anticipate danger that a proper DM has. For that we need a Wanyama type that's going to act as an auxiliary CB when required.

Random Review likes this.
  7. Harry Caray

He is Danish and plays in Denmark

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    En route to Stockholm on a stenna line ferry am calling bullshit on that one!

9. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song

:giggle1:

10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It looked like a stenna line but now the mrs has told me its defo Edinburgh airport

11. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    He's going to Lourdes

Gabriel, StPauli1916, rkid and 3 others like this.
  12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    This shocking sectarianism must end. :84:

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    So happy to have him back.

Anybody who thinks stuff like that is laudable but not particularly important in a Celtic manager has a very different conception of what the club is to mine.

14. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Taking Bayo with him

15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Ffs. :56:

16. green-yin

NEIL LENNON has vowed to make Celtic Scottish football’s great entertainers this season.

The Hoops boss opened up on his plans days before the Champions League kick-off in Bosnia.

Lennon is still overseeing major changes to his squad after becoming permanent gaffer again.

He won’t completely rip up the Brendan Rodgers template after a treble Treble.

But the new Celtic manager promised supporters he plans on moulding a swashbuckling team built to attack.

Lennon said: “We had an attacking team in my first spell at Celtic. We had an attacking team when I was at Hibs.

“I want to bring that here. We have attacking players and I would maybe like to quicken the tempo at times.

“I want to get the ball forward into the strikers and wide men quicker, that’s all.

“The team liked to control games a certain way last season. I’d like it to be more attack-minded from the off.

“I want us to create more excitement and goal chances, rather than control the game passively. I want us to be more purposeful in possession.

“The changes I want to make are hopefully to make the team better.

“Did we score enough goals last season? Can we get more?

“Can we be more purposeful in the attacking third?

“Defensively we were excellent, especially in the second half of the season, and I want that to continue.

“But I’d like us to be more prolific and create more chances.

“That is nothing to do with Brendan. He is an attack-minded coach, but you can be attack-minded in different ways.

“You also need to be flexible. Maybe at different times we will use different systems against certain opposition.

“That’s something I will look to work on. It’s a matter of finding a formation that suits all the personnel.

“At Hibs, 3-5-2 worked really well with the midfield we had. But mostly I’d expect a back-four.”

Rodgers primarily opted for a lone striker during his reign — barring a brief Moussa Dembele-Odsonne Edouard link-up.

Lennon is open to pairing the French forward with Leigh Griffiths or Vakoun Bayo as the season progresses.

But whatever role Edouard plays, he believes this could be another big campaign for the 21-year-old.

He said: “There will be times when I want to go with two strikers, there’s no question about that.

“I have not seen whether Odsonne plays better off a striker but we’ve probably not had that chance.

“He did very well as the lone striker and he took on that responsibility very well.

“Odsonne was the one fit, quality, bona-fide striker that we had in the final stretch of the season.

“I know what I have with Odsonne and there is a lot more to come from him.

“He is only 21, so there is a lot of scope for development there with him.”

Lennon insists he’s a more rounded and mature manager compared to the start of his first spell nine years ago.

But the Celtic boss made it clear he’s lost none of the edge that made him a winner — as a player and now as a boss.

He added: “You never lose that fire. We are competitors and we want to win. That is my remit — to win.

“That is what Celtic is all about and I have been here for nearly 20 years now. You never lose that.

“Maybe it manifests myself in different ways, but I still lose my temper.

“It’s hard to compare how I feel now to my first spell as manager.

“But I don’t think the anticipation or excitement changes the closer you get to kick-off time. I’m just older and more rounded now.

“That was nine years ago, so I feel a little bit different.

“I know the environment better and there’s a familiarity. I know the people behind the scenes and what’s required.

“I feel comfortable but I am also very aware of the pressures this job brings.

“I will set standards and make demands. I will outline new priorities and targets.

“The league is the No 1 priority but it’s way too early to think about that just now.”

Celtic begin the competitive action against FK Sarajevo on Tuesday after a nine-day tour of Austria and Switzerland.

Lennon praised his players’ attitude and admits he feels more at home after his stint as interim-manager ended.

Slowly but surely, he is putting his stamp on the team and he can’t wait to see how it evolves this season.

He said: “Yes, I will probably be more hands-on now.

“In Damien Duff and John Kennedy, we have energy and good coaching. I can come and add my bit when needed.

“I am excited and I am happy. I’m as content as I have been in a long time.

“I probably won’t be five minutes into the first game, but everything has been very calm.

“We’re pushing in the right direction and we are excited about the players we can bring in to add to what we have.

“It just feels calm on a professional basis. I am very content.”

Sounds promising. Hopefully much less of the useless passing around at the back. Should be bombarding teams from the first whistle domestically.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That ‘passive passing game’ won 7 trophies from 7. I’m the last * to stick up for the weasel but it’ll be all about what we see on the park and not words on paper that dictates things.

Lenny needs to prioritise improving his domestic cup record over gun slinging football. Which, from what we seen in the last few months of the season, is exactly what he done because despite the football being pish on the main - he picked up the 2 trophies he had to.

The IRA, Murph-E and Tommy25 like this.
  18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    His hibs team were very good in his first season back and losing the heartbeat of the team in Mcgeouch and Mcginn just proved too much.

In Boyle and Barker he had two very quick wingers and Kamberi looked a very useful striker up top.

Mcginn and mcgeouch offered so much energy together and even Ambrose was a consistently solid performer for them.

I think Lennon builds good teams and i trust him to do it again.

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think he has to build his own team to play his way and I am relieved to see him doing that.

We all know what a good coach Brendan Rodgers was; but if Lenny tries to be Brendan Rodgers, I don't think he will succeed TBH. I think they see the game too differently.

I don't know if he'll be quite as successful domestically as Brendan Rodgers was, that's a very, very high bar to set him; but I have total faith in him to build a good team that will entertain us, win the leauge and pick up a cup or two.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Itll be tough to compete with a 7 out of 9 trophy record to be fair. Atleast hes managed 2 so far. Not bad for a couple months. The ref decisions, added time, everything will ramp up this year. Arguably harder than Rodgers would have had it and as much as people disagree, sevco are a semi-credible challenger now. Lenny will need to prioritise the league over cups in such a way Rodgers never had to bother.

Surely atleast we cant have a worse league start than last year, meaning we should have a higher points tally this year atleast.

MON THE QAUDTREBLE!!!

Random Review likes this.