1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    You know, we may not have got 9 in a row and a Quadruple Treble if he hadn’t though, it’s all good in hindsight I get that. That 9 season we played some * excellent stuff though.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Defo not just Lennon that was at fault. His atttiude and disrespect to the fans soiled his own legacy, his refusal to leave the job, even though he said he would if he couldn't fix it, ruined it for him as well.
    But the problems was always bigger than Neil lennon, who should never have been given the job the second time (perm) either.

Which is why, as great as things feel just now in the short term, we still need to be very * cautious as a fan base with the current board, too much of it is still the same as it was over the last two decades, and any suggestions of a certain Peter returning should be met with disdain and protest in my opinion.

3. Pogues

Not for me mate. Lennon underwent challenging times in his celtic management career, more challenging than any previous manager I would suggest, and dealt with it remarkably well I think.

Did Tony Mowbray or Ronnie Deila apologise to the fans? I don't think so and nor should they have to.

There were many contributing factors to the 10 getting * up and Lennon, as manager, is the fall guy, although not everything was down to him.

He clearly believed that his record at the club as player and manager afforded him a bit of respect from supporters and that some of the abuse he was taking was unjustified. I agree with him.

As for being the worst celtic team ive ever seen, not even close mate.

blackfish likes this.
  4. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Well done Lenny Bhoy.

5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It was the unprofessionalism in the end that got lenny where he is the players had just had the longest lay on in their life they just had a two week training camp had European qualifiers and a killie away coming up and were given week off heading into those games were we drew at killie and got scudded in Europe ……. Fast forward to Ange no qualifiers and we tanked killie 5-0 no days off …… Lenny loved the glamour of being Celtic manager just didn’t want to put the miles in that is involved with the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He was grateful for the job, and compliant, and lost that fire in him that he’d put into players.

He didn’t have the guys who he wanted to do the tactical side. He lost a big part of the staff in Duff.

He didn’t have the crowd that he was good at using to his advantage. The scouting network was destroyed and we spent good money on bad players. And he lost the plot, lost the dressing room, had a terrible hierarchy and didn’t want to face the facts that he’d * it.

And still doesn’t. And if he did face that, after the fact and on his wee media tour, he’d have been forgiven. If he done that now, he still wouldn’t. He’s * it with his own mouth more than that year.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Unfortunately for Neil, football and the players had moved on in the short 8 years between his two stints.

First stint, he had reasonably established players who needed a bit of a kick up the * at times.
    The odd player (vvd) who was naturally going to the top.

Second stint, we had a squad full of players at an age that needed actual coaching, development and education in football.
    Lennon can't do that.

He's good at putting the fire in the belly, if the players are already at a decent level for their club, but he can't develop talent in my opinion.

He's just not got the temperament or skill to do that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Creativecelt likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    First stint he brought in a full new first team after Mowbray and all the loans left, and turned it into a team then built on that team to get us into the last 16, getting record points in the group stage and a record amount of goals (for Scottish teams). And it was young team that as well, look at the result that’s no used to beat him with, 3 very important players that night were 21 and under, think the average age was 23/24

See that sort of stuff is the issue I have with the rhetoric about him, because it’s all been changed from what actually happened at the time, with the soured opinion that he deserves 100% now.

PaddyJamieson, Zander and Peej like this.
  9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Obviously it’s about losing the league, and 10, but also the way the * went about treating the fans after we voiced our displeasure at the state he was leaving the club in.

He set us back about 5 years and by some miracle we managed to find Ange who’s came in and some how launched us back into an upwards trajectory. Seriously doing Ange a bad wrap if you think he didn’t have a massive, massive rebuild to contend with after Lennon.

Creativecelt likes this.
  10. Pogues

Ridiculous * all mate. Abuse was dished out cause folk couldnae bear losing the league, then every small detail of how lennon managed, conducted himself, spoke was examined and scrutinised to paint him in a negative light. He thinks he deserved better.

Don't get me wrong, Lennon made mistakes, couldnae handle that certain players didn't want to be at celtic and the pressure certainly got to him. It was definitely time for him to go. But where I disagree with you and, it seems, most on here, is the level of abuse he gets. The man has went through more for celtic over his time at the club than anyone else I can think of and yet he's a *.

Definitely not running down anges achievement last season. The team was always going to go through a period of transition last season, whether we won the 10 or not, and the way ange did that was absolutely sensational.

11. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I agree, some of the abuse was over the top. But also all of the criticisms that he failed to take on board were entirely justified. He thought he was above criticism.

Creativecelt likes this.
  12. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song

Lennons team 2-0 up.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    * sake, horsing them

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Good, we need teams from countries like Belgium to do * so we can keep our CL spot in the coefficient

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brilliant results

[​IMG]

16. PaddyJamieson

Outstanding results. He always did excel in Europe.

17. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Lenny's club have drawn Manchester United in their UEL group. Lenny will be bringing his team to Old Trafford

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Lenny putting his name in the hat for the United job when ETH gets punted

King Kwon likes this.
  19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Having a go at a journalist for questioning the character of his players.

It's OK for him to do it tho

King of Kings likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Just missing the minerals and pizzazz