1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    What does that mean though? I'm not Greek so I'm unsure what that would mean

2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Ever since independence, Cyprus had been ruled by the popular president Archbishop Makarios III. Though he claimed that he wanted to unite Cyprus with Greece, that reality wasn’t any closer and the right-wing military dictatorship in Athens suspected that Makarios was a communist. On 15th July 1974, the Presidential Palace was burned down by the Cypriot National Guard, Makarios fleeing from the back door and eventually left the country. Nikos Sampson, a right-wing dictator, was installed in his place: a puppet for Greece’s generals.

Turkey, fearing that the Turkish Cypriots would be persecuted by Sampson, invaded the island and capturing a small part of the northern side. With the dictatorship in Greece crumbling, Sampson resigned and negotiations between Cyprus, Turkey and Greece began. In August, peace talks collapsed and the Turkish invasion spooled up again, taking around 35% of the island before declaring a ceasefire.

Cyprus was now officially divided.

Up to 200,000 Greek Cypriots fled from the north of the island, while around 50,000 Turkish Cypriots moved up from the south. Atrocities affected everybody – the Turkish army persecuting Greeks, and the far-right EOKA-B group attacking Turks. This political explosion naturally spread to football. “Following the coup, the Apoel management sent a congratulatory message to Sampson,” says the anonymous correspondent: “For Omonia fans, all Apoel were traitors and coupists. For the Apoel fans, Omonia were the communists who worshipped the Soviet Union.”

Still to find anything pro israel, please post but based on what I can find they seem to be good guys to me. Maybe they want independence for themselves rather than Greece or Turkey having a hold over the land? This is something I am not knowledgeable on just curious

3. AussieGreek

Ayeee, no one is denying that they’re communists and Che Guevara supporters. But once again, (check the first image I provided), they support an imperialist (Turkish) occupation. I even used the example of Omonoia fans being equivalent to Irish people saying that they’re “leftists” but fly the flag of the DUP in Northern Ireland and want the six counties to still be occupied and divided from the rest of the island.

4. AussieGreek

weird link that tries to equate the Turkish military, the second largest standing army in NATO, to EOKA-B which was no more then 200 guys.

5. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I can't really as I have no understanding of the politics there but do you have any links for this?

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who gives a * man :giggle1:

Cena likes this.
  7. AussieGreek

On Gate 9’s (Omonoia ultras) position or AKEL (the political party)? Because both are not one and the same

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It’s interesting as * learning the politics of other clubs I think.

9. davidhannah

Congratulations to Neil Lennon. A proud Irish man back to winning ways with the green and white Omonoia Nicosia. I wish him success, hope and happiness with the shamrock on their badge.

Hail hail Neil Lennon. The one and only.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  10. leeso-ardoyne

X2

I think it's they are looking for sticks to beat Neil Lennon with somehow.

The facts are, Lenny has be an instant success with thst club and fair * to him. I hope he does well and is happy on what he's doing and achieving.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * up ya galoot.

12. davidhannah

I loved his interview with Peter Martin. Listened to it last night following his cup success.

Sutton, Harston Thomson and Petrov aren't in the same league as Lennon. Carping from the sidelines while Lenny manages. They can't match his passion for the game.

Lennon spoke about having a good relationship with Ange who reached out. He said Ange encouraged him to take the job abroad.

Neil is looking well. Speaking slow, composed and considered, having to overcome the language barrier with an interpreter. I think that takes guts. And Lenny has more than most. And that's why he's a winner once again and has won the respect of the Cypriots.

In time he'll heal the wound with his teammates as will the Celtic support with him. And I echo the words of support from Martin O'niell.

The reaction of the tabloid press to his cup victory tonight proves that he's put all his ex teammates to shame who sold out to them. And why he's worth so much more as a human than life in Glasgow.

We'll done Neil. You're on the rise. Something inside so strong.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Thought you hated all of us ya weird robot *…

MJ9, Cena, FrankMcCallum and 3 others like this.
  14. davidhannah

I couldn't leave without sending my congratulations to Neil Lennon. Celtic legend. Treble winner. Player. Captain. Manager.

Celtic are back to winning ways. Lennys back to winning ways. That crazy distopian nightmare of season past is long forgotten and means nothing to me anymore.

Hail hail.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agree that's a better reaction. Personally I'd rather just not know. * you internet.

16. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Careful now. He'll find your address and batter you.

Cena, leeso-ardoyne and Valhalla like this.
  17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Got family from the area that grew up at the same time as Lennon in what is definitely an Irish Republican area, alongside a lot of nearby Orange, and knew him, different school years but still well enough.

Not particularly interested in defending Lennon as a Celtic manager but what of the Irish, Republican, Celtic things are you saying Lennon isn't? As factually he's likely more than most.

18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Prove it? Lennons been away from the North for decades. He couldn’t give a single * about Irish Repblicanism.

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Fair play to him.. not his biggest fan but that's a good win in the cup.. see he still managed to get sent off mind :56:

I see the chat on Cyprus politics.. I've always been interested in that ever since my Dad brought me up to the no man's land on a family holiday donkeys years ago..

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member