1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Perfect rebuttal by CeltsAreHere

Neil Lennon is Gaslighting the Celtic Support – I’m Not Having It
    Before we delve into Neil Lennon’s interview with the Times. Here is a definition of the term ‘Gaslighting’.

Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where a person or group makes someone question their sanity, perception of reality, or memories. People experiencing gaslighting often feel confused, anxious, and unable to trust themselves.

Ok, so let’s get to the interview.

NEIL LENNON is over 100 days removed from his second spell as manager of Celtic Football Club but the Irishman refuses to take little responsibility for the season being an unmitigated disaster.
    During his final season the former Hoops boss blamed everything but himself for what was going on as Celtic descended into madness.

With time and perspective, the former Celtic captain has doubled down on his belief it was factors out-with his control that hammered the nails into our coffin.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Times, the Celtic manager had a go at the support for wanting him out after Celtic fell from one defeat to the next. He blames the pandemic for the upheaval and Celtic fans obsession with ten in a row.

On the Ross County cup tie: Neil Lennon was entirely disingenuous when he claimed it was an overreaction at the time for the support to call for his sacking. The former gaffer cites Celtic’s impeccable record in cups before that night and paints a picture of Celtic fans losing one cup game in five years, then going nuts.

“Speaking to the players the next day they were really disturbed and upset by that,” Lennon said. “Literally upset by it. That was the first cup defeat in 35/36 games. It was the end of an unbelievable cycle of success and for them to be treated that way was bewildering. They should have been lauded for it rather than abused. They were getting pelted with missiles.

“It was very sad. There was a new breed of supporters that I had nothing in common with and who belie the values of the club. They are the ones that are giving the club a bad name.”

• If you go back to that time, Celtic had just come off a humiliating defeat to Sparta Prague and was the second time we were soundly beaten 4-1 by them.
    • We were trailing in the league after a dismal Glasgow Derby where we failed to register a shot on target.
    • We had crashed out of the Champions League to minnows Ferencvaros.
    • Performances were woeful, then Celtic were turned over by County.
    As Celtic fans watched the season slipping away, a crowd formulated at Celtic Park. Mostly peacefully and chanting for change, there were idiots who took it too far and they should be condemned. However, I will simply not allow Neil Lennon’s narrative to stand.

The Irishman puts it like we finally got beat in a cup game in over four years and that was enough to upset us – it’s simply not accurate.

Neil continues by saying the fans had an ‘unhealthy obsession’ with ten in a row which apparently hindered what was going on.

It was definitely a situation like no other. You’re going for the tenth title in a row and that was an obsession for the fans, an unhealthy obsession I felt. And we were in the midst of a pandemic where nothing was normal. So you put that together and there were a lot of things that were out of your control as a manager.”

“Let me put it this way, it wasn’t just the football you were concentrating on, there were a lot of other things going around,” he said.

“Whether it be protocols, or the trip to Dubai, or players breaking Covid regulations, there was a lot of anxiety from other people surrounding that. It was a difficult thing to manage. People above me were as strong as they could be.”

“I had nothing in common with those supporters and the way they treated Dermot and Peter as well, shocking.”

Again, no acceptance his team weren’t turning up for him. Not taking responsibility for calling out wantaway players in an interview after our Champions League exit – telling them ‘just to go’ and then starting the EXACT same starting XI four days later.

If Neil were to read this, he would probably lump me in with one of the supporters he doesn’t identify with.

I’ve been in the stands since 1994, as a young kid. I watched Neil come in as a player under O’Neill, grow into a captain and help lead the club to glory. I was there and behind him the day we lost the league title on his first full season as manager – partaking in a stadium wide huddle in support of the novice manager.

I was there to listen to him say ‘This isn’t the end, it was just the beginning’ which received rapturous applause from the support he now condemns.

Neil is calling out these ‘new fans’ as he puts it, because they recognised he wasn’t up for the job anymore. The Green Brigade were very vocal about his situation throughout last season. The same group the manager lauded and sat the League title in front of the year after his ‘just the beginning’ speech.

Last season – the support recognised Neil Lennon’s tenure wasn’t working anymore and Lennon is using a few idiots throwing things at our players to hide behind the fact he let last season pass him by.

The only real obsession I witnessed last term was Neil Lennon’s tunnel vision to get his players to Dubai during a global pandemic and the staunch defence of the trip when it went horribly wrong.

I’ve been measured enough throughout last season not to get personal when it came to Neil Lennon. I didn’t want to see insults thrown his way, I simply wanted him to be removed as the Celtic manager. Had the board acted in a better fashion, we could have at least ended this season with something, we waited until the point of no return before making the call.

It’s clear the Celtic legend (Yes, he is indeed a legend of our club) absolves himself from most of the blame. Maybe that’s the human instinct for self preservation.

• It was those pesky wantaway players.
    • The worldwide pandemic.
    • The obsessed Celtic fans.
    It was nothing to do with Neil Lennon and his management of the club.

I’ll end where I started.

Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where a person or group makes someone question their sanity, perception of reality, or memories. People experiencing gaslighting often feel confused, anxious, and unable to trust themselves.

2. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He is so far up DD and PLs * it’s unreal. Even says it in his interview he doesn’t care what the public think (meaning fans presumably) but only what the CEO, Chairman and board think.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Neil seems to live in a very simple world these days.
    Where coaching isn't actually needed, doing your job is for suckers, wanting success is being entitled, and not realising the term "dinosaur" isn't just about age.

He's arguably one of the youngest dinosaurs around. If only he'd notice it's his * management style we are discussing and not his age.

Guys a tube.

He's the absolute peak reasons you should never go back to a club.
    And I mean peak reason.
    Don't think anyone could return to a club they was idolised at and * it up this badly for the club, the fans and themselves.

Egotistical * that he is.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

cat123 likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I have zero respect for this wee * * of a guy..

He isn't one of us. No chance..

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What a fall from grace for him, imagine he resigned in November, don't think there'd be a single person who hated him.

cat123 and thailandceltic like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Got to remember the reasons he left in the first stint. Citing lack of ambition from the board and not backing him.

Many of us questioned why he would return a second time when not much has changed.

A professional football club was left for him, he and his chums destroyed what remained instead of building and salvaging what was left.

He came back for one reason, money.
    He stayed for the chance of an easy treble.
    Lawwell the * kept him on through all of last season to allow him that.
    Once the fans protested though, it became a personal thing from Lennon and lawwell, two men who have actively stuck two fingers up to the fans for years.
    They gloated and still do in their enjoyment to * the fans off no end.

Seeing the back of these two is a fine thing indeed.

Pair of *. Even to this day, in the final 4 weeks of lawwells nightmare and Lennon firmly gotten the * away, they are still * each other.

cat123 likes this.
  7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    The new breed of fan who shelled out 550 quid for nothing which I'd imagine alot of which ended up in his pocket as a severance package.

Probably never stepped foot in Celtic park till he was payed lecturing us about values..

Get * Lennon

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If Neil Lennon beating Lazio 18 months ago is reason enough that he deserved more time, respect and chances, then how does he explain shipping Ntcham out on loan?

Surely by his own logic, Ntcham deserved every chance and then some, regardless how * he was.

The_Bhoy and The Phoenix like this.
  9. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    That is a brilliant piece of writing. Makes me more angry though. * you Neil. Parasite

Sgt Neppers*, cat123 and Seán Mac D like this.
  10. StevieBhoooy!

He knows he’s to blame.... he wouldn’t be protesting so loudly in these interviews if he didn’t...

Shame on him for not admitting it.

Peej likes this.
  11. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Neil I hope your next jobby is a basketball.

12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He’s just a horrible little man

13. Forza 67

He'll be managing that lot next season, if Slippy goes. I genuinely think he'd take it.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * up..

15. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Having now read the full article it seems obvious that he is still in total denial about what happened. As I posted on here whilst he was still manager, the first thing you must do to solve a problem is realise what the problem is. He genuinely doesn't appear to have a clue and his arrogance is turning away the few supporters who still thought fondly of him. It's a shame it had to come to this but he has nobody to blame but himself.

cat123 likes this.
  16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Well he’s a Hun legend now anyway.

greengrocer likes this.
  17. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Should have kept your mouth shut ya *.

18. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    despite the * season i still considered him a celtic legend for all he's done at the club, after today that is no longer the case, he is an utter * that refuses to take responsibility for his poor decisions all year. * him.

19. Sgt Neppers*

Reads like a plea to his pal Pete and Dermot, I'm ready for a 3rd stint. Ffs.

Terrible interview at a terrible time. Kicking the club and its fans at a time we're very vulnerable. A vulnerability that he had a massive part in. All the while he's touting himself for jobs and blaming everyone else bar himself. The delusion and arrogance are real here, not an overreaction from the fans.

Disgusting to see him talk about us like that. Thought over time I'd maybe simmer down on my feeling for him, but nah. Can't forgive that interview. :*:

Mr Shelby and greengrocer like this.
  20. James Gold Member Gold Member

Seen a few of the KTF brigade on twitter agreeing with him. Stockholm Syndrome CSC

Sgt Neppers* likes this.