1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think people are more than entitled to write their opinion , voice their strongly held opinion etc. Banners are fine if they are in good taste (i.e not "* Neil Lennon"). The majority of us wanted him to leave. Just my opinion that the social media avatars and constant bombardment of Celtic's social media comments with that pic were herd bullying tactics. Nobody would like that done to someone in their own family or themselves...so why do it to others.

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, '* Neil Lennon' is an idiotic banner.

The reason for the bombardment was that the fans were being ignored. There's not a chance that he would have stayed in the job til February if fans were at the stadium.

I can understand how it wouldn't be nice to see but at least be humble enough to accept that's how supporters feel without antagonising them with talk of a summer rebuild while we were 15+ points behind in the League.

Lennon wasn't exactly reserved with his own comments about Deila at the tail end of his tenure (and that was nowhere near the car crash we've seen this year)

Peej and Chieftain like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’m convinced he would have been gone after the Prague game if the Green Brigade hadn’t just demanded it. Lawwell digs his heels in on that type of behaviour.

4. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think he was in denial by the end / he knew that he had * things up so bad that he knew this was possibly his last job in football so was waiting for the pay-out. As someone else said, the board dug their heels in after the fans protest and that meant he stayed long after he should.
    It's mostly the boards fault for not putting him out of his misery, it was painful long before the end. I just think that as Lennon had mental health issues, some fans let themselves down with the herd mentality pile ons.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Which is a shambles if a CEO at Celtic is taking decisions to spite people/fans.

The only thing that should have came into consideration was, i's he still the right man to do the job?'

martin_d, Hammy89 and Liam Scales like this.
  6. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Their thinking would have been: "we can't give in to the fans any time they have a protest, we can't be seen to give them power over the running of the club." A power play by keeping him on, awful decision

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Which would have some credence if the fans who protested were the only ones holding that opinion.

They weren't. The vast majority of fans felt exactly the same, although maybe not venting it in the same way.

If @\o/ thinking is correct, it isn't a slight on the GB, it's testament to the horrendous job the board.have done this season.

Doogs. and Liam Scales like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, it was directed as a criticism of Pedro’s ego. It’s bit us in the * afew times, his * measuring contest with Rod Petrie making us lose out on McGinn’s another.

Peej likes this.
  9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

We must be the only fan base in world football who have ever wanted a manager sacked before. Or you would think that by the way some folk go on. Football fans have a right to have an opinion on a manager and if they don’t think he’s capable of the job anymore they are well in their right to say it. Throwing out personal insults is too far and that’s goes without saying.

NL has suffered some horrendous abuse since he signed with Celtic from Rangers fans and many other fans from Scottish clubs. He’s been physically attacked, had bombs and bullets sent to him and the media have played a part in it too, always claiming he brought it on himself. Now because the majority of Celtic fans wanted him sacked or to step down its all down to that he’s drunk and looking not in great nick.

If it turns out he’s not in a good place I hope he gets the help he needs. Hes maybe just out on the * and had too many like we all have done, many times. We don’t know the ins and out of it all so hard to know what’s going on really. Hope the guy filming it got a slap.

10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He’s defended him cos he’s a good bloke is ally

11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Lenny shouldn't be anywhere near football in any capacity until he is mentally and physically in a good place, feeling fit and healthy.

It's clear he's been having a tough time, the Board are cowards, they hid behind Lenny, allowed him to make an * of himself without any consideration for his health or wellbeing.

12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    A sad video to see when he seemingly rests his head on his pals chest and softly tells him to get off him after. Hope lennys okay.
    Totally disagree with the anger towards fans calling him out during the season. I didn’t post any ‘harmful’ personal attacks about the man but I don’t think anyone who did is in the wrong. The BOARD are to blame for all of this. Lenny obviously thought he was good enough to get through “the bad spell” (which he wasn’t) and the fans have every right to question and show their passion when things are going wrong. We weren’t in the stadium to do so; so how else could we show it?

winners/competitive people never give up and I think ultimately that was what killed Lennys relationship with Celtic at present.

13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Someone’s been a victim of the auld “iPhone on a selfie stick under the cubicle door”.

Chieftain likes this.
  14. kingpenman1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It’s heartbreaking that this guy was put in charge of millions of pounds worth of elite athletes

The Phoenix and martin_d like this.
  15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

That Marvin Bartley Open Goal interview is interesting regarding Lennon. Worth watching.

Such a polarising style, it’s just not suited anymore.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  16. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

It's heartbreaking that a Celtic fan would refer to him as "this guy". "This guy" spent 7 years as a player with us And 6 years in total as a Celtic manager. "This guy" lifted 21 cups in his Celtic career. "This guy" started the 9 in a row and finished it.

Neil Lennon has many flaws and was found wanting, I think we all accept that. What I don't think we have to accept is our own belittling his achievements and show such a lack of respect.

If a Celtic man shares nearly 20 years with us and contributes his part to 21 titles he deserves far more than this.

merthyn, Dazza, Double Dutch and 4 others like this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    And lost the 10 at no better an opportunity ever to win it?

The Phoenix and Free the Adblock like this.
  18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ever managed anything in your life? Did you always succeed in what you intended?

19. celtic warrior

I can slag off the employee Neil Lennon, but the man as a human, an individual is always a hero to me.

No footballer in the game since 2000 would ever survive what he's had to endure for the entirety of his career. None of them.

Mystic Penguin and stubhoy07 like this.
  20. Ak1

For all the criticism surrounding NL this season, I think the inevitability of it all is the saddest element.

It was obvious Lennon would struggle long term to replace Rodgers, that they were improving and that potentially Lennon’s reputation and health could deteriorate as a result.

I believe most the anger directed towards him was because of this.

Lawell against ‘most’ the fans wishes, acted emotionally and unprofessionally by appointing him in the showers and has since been to proud to admit his incompetence.

Actions always have consequences, and unfortunately the ones with most to lose don’t always realise.

Fingers crossed this is a temporary blip from Lennon, and he finds some happiness post Celtic fc.

Taz and stubhoy07 like this.