1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The Maestro
    This just puts the tin lid on this shambles of a season. Resigns/fired once it’s too * late to rescue the season.

Only way this makes sense is if we get a new manager in now to assess the squad for next season. Instead I fear Kennedy gets the gig full time if he manages to put a run together.

2. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

That you Dermot?

Hadn’t the stones or brains to sack him, then piping up in the resignation statement to tell fans ‘Neil is a Celtic legend both as a player and manager.’

We’ll make up our own mind Dermot thanks. This is his legacy now. Let’s not re-write this season or NL’s actions, ever.

Moore likes this.
  3. seanm

Season ticket time thats the only reason they sacked him.* need our tory board removed too or whats the point.HH

seamus1967 likes this.
  4. Moore Moorsum1888 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE & Grace
    YASSSSS!

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic Football Club today announced that Neil Lennon has resigned from his position as football manager with immediate effect.

Neil has served the club with distinction as both player and manager, delivering numerous successes, most recently completing the Domestic Treble in December. In his second period as Celtic manager, he has achieved five trophy successes, to add to his three League titles and two Scottish Cup victories in his first period as manager.

Current assistant manager, John Kennedy, will take interim charge of the team.

Neil Lennon said: “We have experienced a difficult season due to so many factors and, of course, it is very frustrating and disappointing that we have not been able to hit the same heights as we did previously.

“I have worked as hard as ever to try and turn things around, but unfortunately we have not managed to get the kind of run going that we have needed.

"I have always given my best to the Club and have been proud to deliver silverware to the Celtic supporters. The Club will always be part of me. I will always be a Celtic supporter myself and I will always want the best for Celtic.

“I would like to thank so many people at the Club who have given me so much and I would also like to thank my family for their love and support. I wish the Celtic supporters, players, staff and directors nothing but success for the future.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell added: “I would like to pay tribute to Neil for all he has done for the Club in his second spell, delivering our eighth and ninth successive league titles, the Quadruple Treble and winning the last five available domestic trophies.

“Neil has always been and will always be a true Celtic man and someone I will always hold in the highest regard.

“I have watched Neil fight many battles over many years, on and off the field, with a courage and tenacity few could match. Even this season, he has fought so hard and worked tirelessly to turn things around.

“While this season has not progressed as we would have liked, it cannot diminish the character or integrity of a man who has given the Club so much.

“Personally, it is a sad day for me to see Neil leave the Club. Neil is a man of quality and decency, he is someone who will always be part of the fabric of Celtic and someone who will always be welcomed at Celtic Park.

“On behalf of everyone at the club, and personally, I would like to thank Neil for his work as our manager and I wish him and his family good health and continued success in everything they do.”

Celtic’s principal shareholder Dermot Desmond commented: “Neil is a Celtic legend both as a player and manager. He has given so much to the Club, and with his success over the last number of years – including winning a Treble in his own right – he will be very difficult to replace.

“We thank Neil sincerely for all he has done for the club and we wish him every success going forward.”

6. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Relief , its over at last !

76mark likes this.
  7. 76mark

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Elliot
    Fav Celtic Song:
    HH
    Nah m8... he’s ruined all that...he had the choice to leave when clearly he knew he was inept & incapable.... he chose to carry on due to his own stubborn attitude... we are where we are, because if him. It’s football & it’s been on his watch, as sutch, he’s fallen on his sword.

RiquelmeGhirl likes this.
  8. MickMac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We've never actually seen a team with Kennedy in charge. He's had experience under a few managers now and must have some ideas of his own. Not saying I'd want him long term but will be interesting to see if anything changes.

9. SuperZidane

I think many of us share that fear to be honest.

76mark likes this.
  10. seanm

But he did.HH

76mark likes this.
  11. Paradise88

Why sack him after losing one game after, what 4 wins?

Surely the string of bad results previous, and being punted out the cup by minnows should have been enough.

The board were reluctant and they have failed to deliver. What other manager would have been given so many chances?

76mark and DonnyCelt like this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Left before the prospect of welcoming Sevco to Celtic Park as champions, or crowning them there, imo

Valhalla, mayo, TheWolf and 2 others like this.
  13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

He wasn’t sacked.

14. Martybhoy53

Maybe he held out for an extra £50 that he was due in March and the board decided to pay him upfront.

Venomspawn82 likes this.
  15. Paradise88

Oh that's strange, he was talking about being here next season, last week

littlekennie likes this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    6 months too late.

76mark likes this.
  17. Paradise88

If he wasn't sacked he'd come out with his own statement saying why he couldn't deliver this season

18. Pearse67*

Ran us into the ground, walked before the huns lift the league at parkhead.

*!

76mark and mayo like this.
  19. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Ding Dong the witch is gone

Board shouldve resigned him months ago , sad way to end his long time with the club but he's ruined the reputation he had with us imo

20. celticdawg

Honestly can never recall not having a bit of sympathy whenever our manager has been canned over the years....until now , both him and the board have been nothing short of a disgrace this last 6 months , thats their legacy as far as im concerned , not easy to say given how desperate i was for lenny to succeed !! Love to think we might get some forward planning for a change but wont hold my breath !!

76mark and NakamuraTastic like this.