1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Dublin Celt Gold Member Gold Member

Why do clubs not offer two-year rolling contracts to players, then?

Clubs would never again need to worry about players leaving on a free transfer or for a reduced fee if they had two years left on their contracts at the start of each day (unless, of course, the only compensation due to a club who owns the registration of a player on such a contract is the remainder of his salary; if so, why is this unique to the rolling contract as you understand it?).

Drakhan likes this.
  2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    You think. It's supposition as none of us know for sure.

3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    One word reason. AGENTS.

4. Dubliner1

Only reason I'm stating bleak future is why have we not paid Lennon off by now so we can move on. Is the purse strings at our club so tight??? Doesn't make any sense keeping him & his coaching team on any longer

thailandceltic likes this.
  5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just wondering. When was the last season that Celtic didnt finish with a trophy.
    Out of 2 european comps, out of league cup, lost league and sc may not go ahead.

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You just know this wee * will win the next 2 games to let these parasites win it at our ground.

markybhoy1976, 76mark and seanm like this.
  7. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    09/10

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why would a player or club sign it Sin the first place?

Managers and players contracts are different.

Players are traded in transfer fees, managers and coaches in compensation. Players get sold, loaned out, released. Managers get sacked, mutually consented, out on gardening leave etc.

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I realise nobody wants to hear ‘the future is bleak’ with regards to Celtic....but the future is likely to be bleak.

The discussion actually reminds me of the Lennon debate earlier in the season, where sacking him was a contentious point. People backed him, but based on a vague hope of him turning it around, as opposed to actual evidence that he was capable of turning it around.

We could hit it out the park with a great managerial appointment and at least half a dozen excellent signings. I hope we do. Based on recent evidence though....we probably won’t. Sadly I reckon we’re looking at at least a couple years of 2nd place finishes.

10. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    We played Arsenal in the playoff, hardly Ferencvaros.

Guess who lost the Cup to Ross County that year?

The Phoenix likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Mowbray season

12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Possibly this season

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Lennon would probably count last seasons SC:87:

thailandceltic, 76mark and Drakhan like this.
  14. McGuire Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Too early to say but if we get a DOF in and a proper coach, then it can all start looking a lot more rosy, very quickly..

We still have the financial advantage (quite considerably over them for now)
    Have sold Frimpong to ease pressure (they'll have to do the same with 2 or 3 in the summer you'd imagine)
    Don't they still owe millions to their player's who took wage cuts during the pandemic, forgetting all their other debts?

We need a fair few in, that much is obvious but I think an astute appointment, along with a DOF announced soon, and we can start identifying what's needed. I can see us playing the loan market for 2 or 3 quality player's in to ease the burden of the rebuild financially..

New keeper

New right back
    New centre half
    New centre half
    New left back

Soro
    McGregor
    Turnbull

Forrest
    New striker
    New left winger

That's 7 first team player's I think we need..

Edouard
    Christie
    Ajer
    Ntcham
    Barkas
    Bitton
    Rogic
    Broony

I can see at least those 7 leaving above, plus

Duffy
    Mo
    Laxalt
    Kenny

That is 50 mill and a * load off the wage bill also..

We're gonna need to box clever but if we can get some smart signings in, maybe 1 or 2 on frees/pre contracts, 2 or 3 loan's of a higher calibre and spend a decent bit on a striker, keeper and centre half....it can be done..

15. JamesM09

Mowbray/Lennon season.

Lennon took over he only had to beat Ross County and then Dundee United to win the cup. He lost to Ross County.

He’s always been a bottle merchant, but he’s excellent at pretending his failures didn’t happen.

Raoul Duke and Drakhan like this.
  16. The Dublin Celt Gold Member Gold Member

Why would clubs and players not take advantage of that contrivance in contract law, even if the specifics of the contracts offered to managers and players differ in other respects?

I have already noted why it would be extremely desirable to clubs. A player would have significantly greater job security, since he would, presumably, only find himself without a club if his current club paid him two years' salary to release him from his contract.

The fact that no club or player exploits such a contract is telling, in my opinion.

I think that it is safe to assume that a twelve-month rolling contract in football is just a twelve-month fixed-term contract to which another year is added if neither party exercises its right to stop the automatic extension.

The only difference between those scenarios is the nomenclature that people generally use; there is no difference between them from a legal perspective.

In both scenarios, a club agrees to terminate the contract of an employee in return for compensation, and, in both scenarios, the club is free to negotiate that compensation, unless there is a release clause.

But, again, if such a contrivance exists in contract law, why would it be limited to particular contracts? Clubs would still, presumably, be able to loan, sell and release players on such contracts. What would prohibit them from doing so?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:35 PM
  17. Gioventu Onwards to victory. Gold Member

Contacted JP re Lennons comments about things going on behind the scenes and if details of this will be released to the fans. JP’s asked the question to the club but hasn’t had any good response yet.

18. celtic warrior

And was that no by and large the same squad of players that got papped out by a huns team playing a division below us at time which lead to Ronnie leaving?

And also limping to the finish line to wrap up the league?

19. The Phoenix

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    In fairness we had the chance to win a trophy during the Mowbray season after the scum were knocked out of the Scottish cup.

But Ross County dumped us in the semis... I'm sure you can guess who the manager was:rolleyes:

20. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I really don’t understand what is happening here. Even Brendan Rodgers would have been sacked ages ago if he has such a bad season. Yet every week we are still watching this clueless and classless dimwit spewing his nonsensical excuses in his interviews