1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In Celtic terms he was.

He played against some of the best no.10s of the last few decades and kept them quiet.

Ronaldinho, Kaka, Gerrard and more.

He more often than not got the better of Ferguson as well in Old Firms.

Anyone that I've ever seen question his ability as a player rarely watched full Celtic games.

Ewang83 and Gabriel like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    As a player Lenny was a midfield spoiler and a vital part of the MON jigsaw, not a Hollywood player but he did an important job and was good at it.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That doesn't surprise me with @Aidan O’Shea to be fair :sgrat:

4. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    If he was so great why did much of the crowd boo him in the 1/2 final of the UEFA Cup vs Boavista in 2003?

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Quite a hyper-specific question but on recollection was it not that he was playing the ball back when it was 1-1 and supporters were on eggshells at the prospect of potentially missing out on taking a lead to Portugal? Although I'm sure he crossed in the ball for our equaliser that day.

Not sure how that's relevant to his overall ability as a player though.

He wasn't flashy by any stretch of the imagination but he did his job superbly in the engine room.

shaunm and Wee Baldy like this.
  6. davidhannah

It's certainly not inconceivable that Lennon will get an extension to his rolling contract next season, as one of Lawells final acts! We're in Feb. The January review is over. He's here to stay. It's not even a Deilla situation. There is not even a hint of change of direction. But there must be a contractual/gentleman's agreement with the new Rugby CEO that he be allowed to bring in his own man. Surely? This new Chairman will want to get off to a good start, it would be unthinkable were he not to sack Lennon.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Not a chance lenny will be here next season.

8. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Absolutely zero chance he is here next season, the board are absolute * riddys and need their heads checking along with a high number of fans thinking that Lennon was a good replacement after a world class Manager like Rodgers (Its about 8 steps down) and they've insanely underestimated the mood of the fans this season. That said i dont think they're stupid enough to keep him on because * me there will be a massive downtown in season ticket purchases & merchandise, plus as soon as we are back in and the first negative result happens under this clown the boos will be harrowing.

Any competent board would of have had plan A,B & C for this season, our boards full of * morons, our manager is a moron, they should of sacked him weeks ago but one thing is for sure he aint here come June.

9. BottleCapBandit

I hope you are right, don't know how much more of this horrible man I can take to be honest.

Account Deactivated likes this.
  10. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    He's a polarising figure, you're clearly a fan. To me and many others he was lightning slow, 1 footed, whiney, couldn't head the ball or beat a man and 95% of the passes he made were to the side or backwards. 2 goals in 300+ appearances even for a defensive midfielder says it all. One of his two goals was basically an OG as well. He was an average player doing the easiest outfield job

The Phoenix likes this.
  11. Mr. Slippyfist

* up weesacks.

Lennon was a tremendous servant and player.

12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

“Couldn’t beat a man”.

He’s a defensive mid hahahahaha.

Sydneysider likes this.
  13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t care how bad a manager he is, this new narrative that he’s a bad player is embarrassing.

I don’t even like the guy and I’m cringing at that.

There’s never been a debate that he’s a good player. As a defensive mid, which was his position, he was great. Now people are talking about his ability to go past a man and his goal tally to put the guy down. * me.

Ewang83 and Sydneysider like this.
  14. SuperZidane

That's exactly right.

Sydneysider likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * * :56:

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You know nothing about football if you think being a quality DM is easy.

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yeah, whatever we all feel about Lennon now I don't think anyone can question him or his contribution to Celtic during his playing days... probably stayed on a season too long kinda like whats happening now.. but as a player he was fantastic..

Sydneysider likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Judgment clouds over this season with some.

19. SuperZidane

I agree with that. I'd be amazed if that decision hasn't already been made (at least by Desmond and the new CEO) and I can only hope that action is been taken to bring in a new manager as early as possible.

I'm not in a panic to get someone in now - it could be someone who isn't free until June and/or whose compensation would be a lot less then.

There is a major rebuild job to be done here - I'd rather wait until June and get the right guy in than just grab for someone who is available now.

While Lennon is extremely annoying - I have some sympathy for him. Desmond seems quite happy to let him front up and take all the abuse.

The season is gone (is anyone really that bothered about the Scottish cup?) - why not have Lennon do the same as Deila and announce that he'll be moving on at the end of the season. That would at least stop the pressure/abuse on him.

However, speaking for myself, I won't be spending any money on the club, or renewing (were I a ST holder) until we at least know who the new manager will be. A statement that Lennon is moving on will not be at all sufficient.

The Prof likes this.
  20. Donegal

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larson
    This exactly. The comments I remember when watching Lennon were 'He's been at the burgers again', and the old favourite, 'Lennon's a lazy *'.

Side to side, back to the goal.

He was a very average player. Turned into a very * manager.

theweeman likes this.