1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    That reminds me, I need to make a Spotify playlist of Scott Bain's favourite rap tunes.

TheWolf and Lewis Kerr like this.
  2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    The way I see it PL has overseen the wilful neglect of the club over the past few seasons. The board don't share the same ambition of the fans. We will never see 9 again never mind 10. This was the season that they had to show that they were with the fans and it's clear that they weren't on that journey with us. It was going to be a one off for sure and we would have bragging rights no matter what came after.

They can hide behind Covid and there will likely be some glee in thinking all the blame wont be laid at their door but it was there for us all to see before the lock downs etc. Selling the best and aiming low for a manager and replacements. I still say there was more to Rodgers walking away when he did at the time he did. Would any of you trust our board to keep their word? Difference between Rodgers and Lennon is, apart from BR being a better manager, Rodgers had somewhere to go. That's not changing the narrative that's just how it looks to me.

I have never been more sickened as a fan. For years we have suspected that the limit of their ambition is to keep up the OF idea and just do enough to punch above our weight in Europe. It keeps the fans spending money and is guaranteed income for the club year in and out. A few glamour games and no need to push the boat out just do enough to keep safe and turn a profit. Keep the old rivalry going with it's edge of sectarianism and bigotry. The world tunes in to feed of the very worst of it all waiting to see which player will punch who or how many red cards there's going to be. Yes that's where the bread and butter is and they want that back make no mistake. How else can you explain such wilful neglect? We are now actually worse off than Sevco. We have all the money but are worse off so how else would you explain that?

Anyone thinks that there is any brighter of a future is kidding themselves. We will never again be a force in Europe. We've attained a degree of respect for our European history but as time moves on that will fade. We are doing nothing to protect and progress with that reputation. We more often than not punched above our weight as it was. The football world seems to be about how much money a club has and we're minnows. We rely on a few savvy buys which we can't wait to sell on first chance we get. All the fans get out of it all is a chance to watch better teams beat us! Occasionally we surprise ourselves but the outcome is generally always the same.
    We need a complete rebuild just to compete with the leaders in this league and that will take time. New faces to go with some of the old. Trouble is I would be hard pressed to say who we should keep aside from Soro and Turnbull!
    The picture is looking very bleak.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don't like the way he left, nor want to ever really welcome him back.
    But I can actually start to believe there is more to the story.

Lawwell is a serious bad egg in our club, a very bad one.

Rodgers was ALWAYS leaving after that season, he had had enough and wasn't wasting another 2 years with Lawwell being who he is. I (no one) can blame any manager for wanting out of that sort of working relationship.
    But maybe, just maybe, he knew what he was doing at the time? He did leave us in a strong position, albeit not secured.
    Could he have been afforded the offer of Leicster and took it, knowing the good working relationship he would have and the structure to truly do what the guy loves most - developing talent - while also leaving Celtic in a realtively safe position to finish the season and still manage to try to stick two fingers to the board/Lawwell in a "I go when I want to, not when you think you are done with me" sort of moment?

It's not a mad notion - though I still hate the * for leaving how he did and he never did tell any of the players etc either.

4. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Rodgers wanted to keep improving the squad and invest more funds.

The boy Castange was one of the deals he wanted to be done but wasn't. Although according to the player Atalanta upped their asking price to £12m after agreeing on £8m.

And as we know, Rodgers did get him eventually. At the cost of £21m.

We keep getting told we are a club that needs to be in the Champions League. But that ambition is shackled with limitations.

Not a 2nd thought about spunking money on light shows. Meanwhile neglecting the actual path and process that gets you to the Champions League.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  5. Roskopicachu

Scott Brown might be better suited managing the team.

6. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Has he gone yet?
    Ah..bollocks.
    P.S. Rodgers was a * for walking out mid season. He then went and said Leicester was his dream club or some * like that. You just don't do that. Rodgers is also why he have NL. He could have said in Jan..I'll be offski in June...but nope he dumped us for a better looking bird at the party. Rodgers is part of the reason why we have NL. Hope he walks into a football in the face sometime lol

Morcombe likes this.
  7. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    It has been obvious, from pretty much the first round of games, we were going to need a new manager at some point this season, if the board are only now just thinking they better look at options then its a total dereliction of duty, getting rid of lennon shouldn't be the start of the process, it should be the end of it, sack him and bring in the guy who we have already done our due dillegence on and is sitting primed to go.

8. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    You know what , I am so * off with this * circus that I can’t even be bothered moaning about the situation.

9. JamesM09

I completely agree. It’s obvious the board have absolutely no plan and they should’ve had targets from the start of the season in case this happened.

For me Lawwell and the board are finished. That’s why I wouldn’t let them near the next appointment.

Get rid of Lawwell and get a new Director of Football in ASAP and let him appoint the manager.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah I wouldn't blame the club for not going to £12million, I think even Rodgers was understanding of our real limits in the transfer windows. But at £8million, as we have shown now, is a price we can pay and no doubt we may have dicked Atalanta off too much to get him for that. We've since spent that on two players who can't get a game - if only eh.

We are so badly ran it is unbelievable, rather spend 3million on "hidden gems" to make a big profit on and hope they are good enough to sneak us in to the CL. Rather than just buy a player capable of getting us to the CL and reap the rewards there, with a moderate to good return on the player.

NakamuraTastic and Twisty like this.
  11. murphy88

Even when it comes to a fee of roughly £3m, we still * about and try and save a few quid. The John McGinn saga was criminal, absolutely criminal. Squabbling over a few hundred thousand for a ready made replacement for Brown, something that should have been at the forefront of Lawwell's mind, it was certainly in Rodgers mind we know that. Another Lawwell * up.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  12. CountyDownFaithful

Lennon’s professional pride is gone. Hanging onto a job that is beyond your capabilities, knowing the damage it’s doing to the club and it’s supporters. It’s not a good look and won’t be forgotten.

I idolised the man and everything he stood for. But I can see right through him now. It won’t be good bye, it’ll be good riddance once he is eventually gone.

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    What beats me is he sees how BR is viewed by the support despite giving us more success than we have seen in decades. We were riding on the crest of a wave and the future looked so bright. When he walked we felt betrayed and turned on him. Lenny knows this. How does he think this is going to go for him? I suspect it wont end well. It will be sad if there comes a day his name means nothing to us and no one speaks of him in fond terms. I look at him today and I'm reminded of McCoists final days at Ibrox. Always on the defensive, angry and impotent. We took pleasure in all of that and now the boot is truly on the other foot.

14. Henke102

This talk of a restructure is a load of *, change a few job titles about and that is it no doubt

15. DonnyCelt

* is staying isn't he.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  16. Dubliner1

Lennon is going nowhere until end of season. That appears obvious now. People talking about signing new players and bringing in Howe. To me with Lennon staying now tells me we are up against it financially. Future is looking bleak with No CL money and with no crowds at the games.

17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Scott Brown isn't even intelligent enough to stay on the pitch for 10 minute against Livi, much less manage the team.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  18. Henke102

Video Celts article...

Celtic are preparing to install John Kennedy and Stephen McManus as Caretaker Managers next week with Neil Lennon stepping down after just short of two years in charge.

A number of suggestions and rumours have cropped up over the last couple of weeks but Video Celts understands that the club is ready to go for an in-house solution to buy the board some breathing space.

An announcement next week will tie in with the loose remit of the managerial review announced in December.

The club had hoped to go along with Lennon until the end of the season but Monday’s media conference and the follow up coverage has forced a change of plan.

Celtic refused to share the conference on their You Tube channel and are concerned that Lennon is now becoming too much of an issue in the media with worries over another outburst.

Kennedy has been part of the Celtic management team since 2014 when he stepped up from the u-20 side to join Ronny Deila and John Collins.

He has remained in the front line under Brendan Rodgers and Lennon and is set to be joined in the dug-out by McManus.

The former Celtic skipper was an Academy coach at Motherwell before switching to Celtic in January 2019. When Rodgers left for Leicester he stepped up to take Damien Duff’s role in the reserve side alongside Tommy McIntyre.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Please be true I’d rather McManus and Kennedy till end of season over Lennon they would give others like Welsh chances to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  20. jambo_cfc

My worry would kennedy would have a lennon interim type inmpact from after mowbray and would be offered the job !