1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

He lost all backing. He has lost the backing of those that favoured his appointment and defended him right up till the November period (I had been one them too). Once he has lost the backing of those that favoured his appointment and backed him till he could be backed no more, I don't see why he is still here? Who is he here for now?

2. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I actually don’t think the reason he’s still here is financial, at least on the boards side.

He’s likely to be on what £15-20k per week maximum? With a 12 month rolling contract you’re looking at a full payoff of around £1m. Even by our standards, that’s not a lot of money. We * away that kind of money regularly on very speculative punts.

For me, I kind of see it the same way as an investor buying a stock. They’ve done the due diligence and paid up, they’ve watched the stock struggle back in October and decided that it can recover strongly, they’ve now watched the stock capitulate entirely, to the point they’re down massively on their original investment. They’re now stuck with the realisation that they’ve * up, badly, and that the optimal time to sell was months ago, even if it meant selling at what was then only a small loss.

They’re now stuck in an entirely unsalvageable situation. Their only real option is to sell, and try and slowly recoup those losses by investing elsewhere, but it’s likely to be a long road, and realising that loss is a bitter pill to swallow.

4. JamesM09

It will be far less than £1m IMO. The rolling contract doesn’t mean there’s always 12 months left, it just means it’s a 1 year contract, which now has about 5 months left.

Either way, I’m 99% sure this isn’t financial. I think they’re scrambling to find another candidate they can control that will also appease the fans. I doubt one exists.

There’s plenty of potentially great managers out there, but none that will work with Peter Lawwell. We need to get rid of Lawwell.

The Phoenix and seamus1967 like this.
  5. murphy88

Celtic man my *. What Rodgers did was shocking but at least he left us in a good position in terms of the league and cup, and with a good squad of players. He was rightly slaughtered by every supporter though for what he done. However, what Lennon is doing is worse. He is ruining this club and not bothering his * on bit. Arrogant and full of his own self importance.

Garrymac1888 and The Phoenix like this.
  6. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The Donald Trump of football managers, how shameful and pathetic this has all become.

Sgt Neppers* and JamesM09 like this.
  7. DonnyCelt

If he's still here by the end of this evening I will be absolutely disgusted.

celticdaft238, ede and Graeme1888 like this.
  8. Liam Fraser

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    I hate this *. I'll be bitter towards this * for the rest of my life. I'm not watching another Celtic game until he is gone. He's no * legend. He's a * who had thrown away 9 years of work down the drain and has been allowed to by an incompetent board who don't want to be proved there wrong by appointing him. Instead of looking to progress as a club after Rodgers we have regressed at an concerning rate. Get rid of this * joker.

ede and The Phoenix like this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    My understanding would be the rolling contract means he always has 12 months until expiry, rather than it renewing each summer for an extra 12 months.

Either way though, the £1m estimate is likely to be on the higher side. Given his situation before arriving here, he simply didn’t have the managerial reputation to command a £20k per week wage. He may well be on closer to half that.

Garrymac1888 and seamus1967 like this.
  10. JamesM09

I agree, but it goes deeper than that though.

Lennon doesn’t know anyone in football. No decent assistant or coach would work with him.

Last time he brought in his drinking buddy Gary Parker and he had to be removed. So did Alan Thompson. That’s the standard Lennon brings. Compare that to Rodgers and Chris Davies.

It’s not that Lennon should’ve had his own picks, it’s that he shouldn’t have been hired in the first place.

It’s cost us the 10 and millions of pounds just to show Lennon is an unprofessional and poor manager. He won’t work a big job again.

11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Covid saved slippys job last year and it's saving Lennon's now.

Slippy had one * cheek out the door before covid struck, and like it or not, Sevco have benefited playing wise from empty stadiums. No ravenous slathering Huns on their backs.

Lennon, has similarly been spared (so far). There would have been mass demos at every game, banners denouncing the board and Lawell, and wide spread anarchy. We NEVER would have got to 20 * points behind sevco.

The board have a ready made excuse for any eventuality, including pulling the trigger on Lennon. Can't get a new manager.... covid. Can't sack Lenny... covid. Can't listen to your concerns fully... covid.

Any demos have and will be met by a media * storm of "crazy, spolied, non distancing Celtic "ultras" flout covid restrictions, putting people in danger"... of course which our beloved board will concur, and indeed condemn.

The fact that PL hilariously pulled the Covid Card out of his hole during his "apology", tells us all we need to know.

The trigger won't be pulled on Lennon until the very last moment... Ie. loss of Europa League OR season ticket renewal time.

Make no mistake... this isn't about protecting Neil Lennon, this is about bank balances. This board have time and again proved how utterly reactionary they are.
    How many times have we sat during transfer windows with NO news... waiting on the board signing off until Euro status was decided, it at least until we shifted a player for a significant sum.

They're about as proactive as a corpse.

Lennon will have to * on Pete's driveway to get a reprimand at this point.

12. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    As you said earlier, it's peanuts in today's game for us.

All this stuff I'm reading on here and on twitter about him waiting for a big pay-out just doesn't hold up.

No one has given any figure for this big pay out or any reason for one.

JamesM09 likes this.
  13. oh bhoy

* knows what terms and conditions is in his contract ,he could of asked for anything after thoes clowns announced he had the job before anything was agreed

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  14. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Stopped reading at ‘slippy’ tbh

15. JamesM09

I guess I’m not 100% sure either but I think it typically means it’s a 1 year contract that automatically renews in June. They just use the word rolling because the terms can easily be kept the same and it sounds better than saying “1 year contract, because we know you’re a * manager”.

Put it this way, that’s the contract that would make most sense for him to have. Constantly having a year left wouldn’t make much sense. There’s no need for us to give him a contract like that.

Either way, I agree with what you’re saying. :50:

16. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If this is true why would he dedicate the final to these same people?

He dedicated the final to both Lawwell & Desmond & ignored the fans

17. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He was obviously * licking in order to keep his job. And it wasn’t even the first time

18. JamesM09

Exactly fs. He also defended Lawwell over Dubai and defended them again last night.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  19. celtic warrior

Lennon is done, I mentioned few months back that I thought I'd always love him but not anymore.

No one, is bigger than celtic, he thinks he is, so he can * off.

Sgt Neppers* and TheWolf like this.
  20. JamesM09

I’m glad to see many of those that backed Lennon far too long are coming round now.

Don’t stop there. Direct an equal amount of anger towards Lawwell. He simply must be removed or all this is for nothing.

You doubted the warnings about Lennon, don’t do the same with Lawwell.

Get him to *, this summer, and we can permanently upgrade this club to where it should be.

johnboy19, Crilly, ede and 2 others like this.