1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon: Will he speak up?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by KevvyBhoy, Aug 27, 2014.

Discuss Neil Lennon: Will he speak up? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KevvyBhoy

Tonights result was utter * – we all know that. In my view, the performance by the players that took part and the manager are ultimately irrelevant because it's clear that Ronny Deila hasn't been backed by the * up-top that control the purse-strings. However I'd like to discuss Neil Lennon.

Neil Lennon decided at the end of last season that he was calling it quits. I think there are many reasons behind this: boredom and wanting a new challenge, achieved everything he could here, having to put up with * off the field...etc. However I also think he left because he was told how things were going to run this season to come. Samaras was offloaded and hinted at the fact that the board were responsible for him not being offered a renewed contract.

How much do you think that Neil Lennon was informed that this year we'd be spending next to nothing and bringing in mostly loans but looking to maximise profit; hence acting as the catalyst for him leaving? Was he told he'd have next to no money to work with? If this is the case, will he speak up in the face of the 2 hours of * the fans and the manager had to endure tonight from mediocre players after not being afforded any permanent signings or (on the face of it) efforts to strengthen the squad to improve our prospects of qualification?

I just wonder if the board's pennypinching has been a deciding factor in Neil Lennon deciding to leave and if he'd have had any idea that Ronny would be taking over a poisoned chalice. That's what it is now, a poisoned chalice. No money being spent, top assets leaving, no adequate replacements being signed. The spine of this team has been ripped apart piece by piece. Will Neil Lennon tell the media that this was an inevitability?

2. Bethol McG 1916

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boolavouge
    In a simple answer no he won't

3. Millerntor

Would like him to speak up and explain Balde, Pukki, Boerrigter from last season and exactly how many millions we have wasted away on these wasters.

4. James Gold Member Gold Member

Too little too late should of spoke up when he was manager

5. Wicker Bhoy

Yup, him spunking millions on * forwards has cost us big time, nearly £8m gone on them three

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Least of our problems right now.

7. KevvyBhoy

I agree – I actually think he's culpible for a lot of wasted money over the years either by bringing in * signings or by not giving new signings game time then moving them towards the exit.

However, I'd like him to say whether or not he knew of the board's plan this season. If there really was no intent to spend any money then it's no surprise that he bolted out the door.

8. GodBlessJinky

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    As a Celtic supporter and no longer a Celtic employee he should be the first person standing outside the stadium giving the board stick. We would all be there with yae Neil!

9. Markybhoy

It's not even up for debate that Neil Lennon left the club because of how the finances were being handled. Anyone who still doesn't see that obviously just doesn't want to see it.

To answer your question though, I don't think we'll hear much from Neil Lennon. He certainly won't come out and be critical of the club or anyone at it.

The players - He won't criticise them because he signed most of them.
    Ronny Deila - He won't criticise Deila because criticising a fellow manager just isn't the done thing.
    The board - He won't criticise them because they gave him his first job in football management.

I suspect Neil Lennon has spent many hours within the bowels of Parkhead arguing with the board over money and he'll have spent many more grumbling to his wife about how those discussions went. He will have tried to get the board to spend but obviously, in the end, he couldn't manage it. I suspect he just wants to move on with his life and his career now and I don't blame him for that. He will still care as a supporter of the club but he's not going to come out and do a hatchet job on many of those he left behind.

10. divybc

What an embarrassing bunch of signings.

No offence to them, but yea, they're *.

11. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If I'm being completely honest I really don't care what Lennon comes out and says.
    We the fans can read between the lines well enough to know that Neil wasn't getting the backing of the board he would have liked in regards to transfers, whether he comes out and confirms what we already know is another matter.

What I will find far more interesting is if Peter Lawwell comes out any time soon and addresses the fans for this shambles ... not holding my breath though

12. KevvyBhoy

He will; 100%.

But it'll be along the lines of:
    CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT 27/08/14
    Celtic Football Club would like to issue their apologies for the disappointing result last night and the lack of transfer activity; and we, as fellow Celtic supporters [translation: connecting with the fans], fully understand your frustrations. We have spoken with the manager [translation: deflecting blame] and are assured that he is taking this great club in the direction that it should be heading towards and always knew that this would be a period of transition [translation: just circumstances; *]. The board, manager and our backroom staff are making every effort to identify promising talent and enhance the squad, but as you know [translation: telling "me" directly both to act as if on my level and as if I know already] these hard financial times mean that the club has a strict business model to adhere to and we have been very unfortunate with a number of transfer targets [translation: aww shucks, just our luck, eh?]. We thank you for your patience [translation: not thanking, rather just telling us to be patient] and continued support, which is vital to our future success [translation: buy season books] and we know that you will be as vocal as ever for Ronny and the Bhoys [translation: nice bit of patronising slang, talking on our level] as he takes us forward in an exciting Scottish and Europa League campaign [translation: a wee reminder to get your tickets booked].

Peter Lawwell,

Chief Biscuit Tin Security Guard,

Celtic Football Club.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    He already alluded to the facts after the Legia game only to get slaughtered by many on here. Do people want him to do so again so as to make him a scapegoat for last nights result.The hatred by many for NL on here will make the SMSM proud. They have now put the uppity * in his place and he will become as unwelcome at CP as he is in the rest of the grounds in Scotland.

Neil Lennon will soon have to vie with Mo Jo as the most hated ex Celtic player.

14. Hydrobhoy

Was working on a guys house who's close friends with Lenny and he said lenny left because lawwell promised him £15m the season before he left to blast on any players he wanted and lenny said if he didn't get it for the new season he'd be off because the penny pinching was destroying the club. They then had showdown talks and lawwell said the 15m won't be happening so Lenny said his goodbyes.

15. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Some of the lazy abuse being slung at Lennon is laughable, he did brilliantly in his time and the team was heading in the right direction until the skids were put on spending and Lawells version of austerity despite the bonanza that Lennon gave him through Champions League sucess, all this while in the background Huns of the very worst kind were sending him bombs.

He made some awful signings, I can add a few to the list given but that's part and parcel of management, even Alex Ferguson signed heaps of * in his time but like Lenny should be judged on his achievements.

Thee are a lot of angry folk about looking to blame everyone and his dog, the board must share the blame for most of it, let's be honest they were also the same folk that gave us Mowbray which in effect ended the regular capacity SPL crowds era stone dead.

16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Why does Lennon need to speak out? He should have done it last season.

He spoke after the Legia game and like a other poster said he got slated for it.

We all know Lennon left because of the budget and the board told him what was ahead for this season, so he left.

And we got the cheapest option in with Ronny who is going to be greatful for the chance to manager celtic and do what he is told.

17. Darnok

Yer dad's dug said wit?

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

19. saltire78

nobody's bashing Lenny for what he did as a coach as a whole, but he has to be accountable for things he did wrong too. hated at the club? ffs, if that's ever true then we should close and padlock the doors and call it a night. but his squad rotation and some of the people 'he signed' weren't up to scratch. still love the big lump, but that's just how I see it

20. saltire78

:56::56::56: