1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon: "fans let us down"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sween, Dec 16, 2011.

Discuss Neil Lennon: "fans let us down" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattMcG

Don't base an opinion on the title of a thread here. Besides, if it's more than one, then it is 'fans'. If you watch the video you'll see Lennon does say that 99.9% of the fans did nothing wrong.

2. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    why cant everyone seem to see the bigger picture doesnt matter what anyone believes. what lenny said was correct and as ive said before the club have to be seen to condem anything like this because thats taken into consideration when they look at it

3. paddyfrog

In my opinion Lenny made the remark about the spelling referring to the 0.1% of celtic supporters who let the club down. So in that instance I agree 100%. He was trying to portray them as small minded in every way. As for those who disagree with what he said, you either are part of that minority or you are abit thick! For so long we've laughed at the rangers supporters being shown for the ogres they are, now we've a minority amongst us who are allowing us to be tarred with the same brush!Whatever happened to "we are Celtic supporters faithful through and through"?? You've got my backing Neil! YNWA

4. cantgetenough07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    too many to choose a favourite, der all smashin!
    But neither lenny our the club is telling people to give up their principles, I too hold opinions that the club disagrees with, what they are asking for is not to bring it to the game. If its damaging our clubs rep then I'll keep my principles and opinions to myself unless asked, our even provoked by the other side. I live in wales, my closest of mates have heard some of the songs I listen too, most just cannot understand the message behind rebel songs. Although a few do, the point is most people are not open mined enough to hear two sides of a arguement if they been brought up with a particular belief. Thats why for me anyway, yes we have too tune down the rebel songs, and as for banners aimed at a very powerful footballing body - that does us no favours, nd wheats more, it will get us no where but in bother!

5. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Sometimes thats what happens with principles mate :50:

I do agree that the banner was daft, but as I've said before, not for the fact there was a banner, but for the fact the message could and should have been better than a childish "* UEFA" imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  6. Dopey63

I cannot believe that a Celtic fan would call, the Captain of Celtic who was the first British player to lift the European Cup (...he also won loads more trophies) a dinosaur!

How bizarre to call one of the greatest ever Celts a dinosaur (and I don't care in what context you were referring to). How disrespectful!:38:

7. Matt_20

It does seem to be the thread for slating legends doesn't it.

8. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

:redcard:

To that moron who called Billy McNeil a dinosaur.

9. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team

Principles have never gotten a single human being anywhere. Ever.

Sticking to principles is almost always exclusively used in conjunction with the phrase 'cutting your nose off to spite your face.'

This is exactly the problem. People have to grow up, move on and let go. It's pathetic, childish and does no-one any favours. It's appeal seems to have more foundation in it being contentious and less because of a real desire to honour the Republican Movement. The people intent on stirring seem more and more to be interested in their own self-worth, than the hopes and feelings of the rest of the supporters, or the Club itself.

What's worse, is these people know the press will have a field day with this and try to demonise our support. They know this, and yet, purposely attempt to encourage this by being more and more outrageous. If your trying to tell me they never thought in a million years they would get this reaction from the banners and the flares, then I have to agree with Lennon that they are of very low intelligence. But, I doubt this. I suspect they are quite intelligent and knew exactly what they where doing and what the possible fallout would be. Simple fact is, they didn't give a flying *. Fines go to the club, they get off and get mentioned in the papers. They'll be so proud of themselves at the next GB meeting. The GB will be proud of them too.

10. Cheese - Burger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larrssonnnnnn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    tbh I think it was an ill judged comment from lenny

basically I dont think he should be so disrespetful to fans even if he doesnt aghree with their banner

it wasnt very nice of lenny

edit but i dont think they should have put up that banner its just got the club into deep trouble and given our wonderfull fans a bad name

11. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Firstly - that first few lines is utter lies. Who are you to make a claim like that ffs :56:

Secondly - if you'd bothered reading the post my quote was in reply to you'd see it was in direct reply to something he said, not the whole singing songs/issue. I didn't claim the banner was right - on the contrary I've said at least three times in this thread I didn't agree with it.

The third bit in bold is the real problem here IMO - your opinion of "growing up", as you call it, appears to involve abandoning any principles you may or may not have and conforming to something even if you don't agree with it - call me crazy but I would not like to live my life like that.

I love Celtic, but to me Celtic is not the board, or even the manager, it is the fans - and as a fan I believe I have the right to criticise or disagree as much as I have to praise. Obviously that's just something we disagree on but, hey, I've got my opinions and you've got yours, I wouldn't attempt to change that. :50:

12. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    No, you got my opinion all wrong. As you said the 'third bit in bold' you had the real problem with. I suppose you did have a problem, as you inferred your own meaning onto it, rather than inferring from what was actually written. My opinion of "growing up" has nothing to do with abandoning principles. It's has everything to do with people throwing fireworks and writing swear words on banners. This is something a child does, therefore, they are acting like children, therefore they have to "grow up."

These are not the actions of a confident, mature and intelligent *. These are the actions of petulant children.

My first statement was not lies either. Perhaps I was using rhetoric, but not lies.

13. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Fair enough if I understood what you wrote wrongly, just looked like that's what you were inferring from the way its put :50:

Again - I agree the message on the banner was childish, but not the use of the banner itself. I, personally, didn't see a need to protest at all but I would never condemn anyone for employing that right. As for the flares, yes they should have known better but tbh that's a non-incident considering we were in Italy - where these things are virtually a fixture of the games.

Tell me this - do you think there would be such a fuss if we'd sang "* UEFA" rather than put a banner up stating it?

14. Artur Boruc #1

Lennon, Lawwell, Bankier, and now Billy McNeill.

15. croppyobhoy

They are all pandering to the media, * lickers, no one was hurt or abused, no sectatian chants or giving racial abuse, they are at least honest to their principles, not like the bent corrupt officials that rule our game at home or abroad, just take a look at what they did to the World Cup, fat cats in slime:38:

16. Scotty big Bhoy

Some people on here must be blind, to think that Lenny, Lawwell, Bankier and Billy McNeill have all got it wrong, and that they or the GB have got it right is just ludicrous. Each of L,L,B & BMcN have got Celtic FC interests at heart, yes thats Celtic FC the club we are all supposed to support. Can someone explain what the GB banners have done to promote the club we support ? All they have done is bring the wrong kind of publicity to our club, in addition to fines. Celtic FC fans have a great history and the GB seem * bent on their own self publicity to the detriment of Celtic's fine reputation. Ultras my *, bunch of clowns full of their own self importance more like

17. cantgetenough07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    too many to choose a favourite, der all smashin!
    Wo wo, whilst I don't agree with this banner melarkey and asking the fans to tuner it down a bit, saying the gb have done nothing for our club is completely ignorant and disrespectful to the effort they put into making celtic park one of loudest and most vibrant stadiums in europe, whilst the gb get us in trouble sometimes, wer also outer them a huge thank you for the many times they have created a positive and loud atmosphere!

Again I ask then to calm it to avoid getting our club in bother, but never turn your back on a section of our support who has also contributed in so many good ways too!

18. Skydiver

Sums things up correctly really.

They have. However, they have also now made a rod for their own backs.

I personally do not know why people cannot see Celtic and UEFA's argument? It's simple do not act in a certain manner and there will be no fines or infractions. It's not a moral argument here we should be having about the rights or wrongs (for now :50:) It's about stamping out this fatalistic attitude we seem to have adopted. Prompted by the 'Green Brigade's' support...........

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We have cut out the songs etc etc.

Infact the Green Brigade have done more than any orginisation in Scottish History to do that.

The banner '* UEFA' and the subsequent enquiry by UEFA is to be honest a joke. Very, very vain from UEFA if they think they are above reproach or criticism.

Is it in their by laws to not aim abuse at them?

20. NorfolkEnchants

Fair enough, i'm only aware of Lennon's comments which were on the first page. In my opinion people are reading too much into it all, even the comments you mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.