1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

My Band/Music "Mark Rooney and No Hot Ashes"

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Rooneybhoy, Oct 23, 2010.

Discuss My Band/Music "Mark Rooney and No Hot Ashes" in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rooneybhoy

Hey,

Just a few links to my band's music, we're doing really well at the moment, supported Mark Morriss of the Bluetones on Aug 6th, playing a gig with Mike Joyce of The Smiths in November, and just signed a record deal with Angry Badger Records....

Some feedback would be awesome!

Mark Rooney | Facebook

Mark Rooney on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

YouTube - markrooneyandband's Channel

Thanks muchly

P.S Here's our latest review of our album:

Mark Rooney And The Band - Welcome To Concrete Being slightly geographically challenged as they are, Mark Rooney And The Band find themselves spread between Southampton, Lincoln and Glasgow, band practice must be a nightmare. Over coming the obvious location issues they have still managed to produce a well rounded debut, 11 tracks of inner city indie. The Libertines influence is immediate, both vocally and lyrically but this is quickly joined by a myriad of other British indie touchstones. First track (and album title) ‘Welcome To Concrete’ wears its Barat/Doherty influence proudly. Running down the same well worn gritty city streets and rubbing shoulders with the same drug dealers and multitude of shady characters, but it does have a flair of its own and lyrical flourishes such as “how do you survive weighing 165 in the city where the skinny kids die” is a line Alex Turner would be proud of. In fact this is one of the most promising things about the album, the comparisons to Arctic Monkeys, Libertines et al are not derogatory as lyrically the album holds its own alongside these indie heavyweights, no track sounds like a carbon copy and there are many great turns of phrase throughout the CD. ‘Death’s The Best’ channels Oasis rock and is followed by the made for radio ‘Losing My Mind’ with the simple strummed acoustic building to a suitably catchy chorus, showcasing Mark’s strong vocals. ‘Jaxon’s House’ sounds like the kind of tune that will get the crowd going, cut loose live I imagine this will soundtrack many manly hugs after one too many sherbets. This is a debut full of promise, solid if not always spectacular tunes but never less than enjoyable and this certainly a band I will want to see live as I feel many of the tracks on offer will really shine on the stage. Angry Badger Jules

Another wee review thingy:

Delivering a very real brand of social commentary, inspired by the streets of Glasgow he knows so well, Mark Rooney (And Band) take the everyman lyrical storytelling of Springsteen or The Libertines and create a series of indie tales for the 21st Century. Whilst Mark may be the central figure and songwriter the contribution of the band ensures that all his talent is not wasted. A tight, well oiled ensemble, perfectly at ease with one another and providing the foundations for the songs to grow. With Edd on lead, Chris on bass, Ryan on drums and Darren providing some depth on acoustic guitar, Mark has the perfect backing for his songs.
    Taking influences from the likes of The Libertines and The Clash through to Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan, the Mark Rooney sound is a subtle blend of many ingredients. Never relying too heavily on any one source, the elements combine and are joined by Mark's very own distinctive style to create a unique whole.Live is where the magic really happens, the songs come alive and Mark cuts a charismatic figure on stage. Having already supported Mark Morriss to rave reviews and with new shows coming up throughout the later part of 2010, I know that he will be converting more people to the Mark Rooney sound!

2. Xavier Woods

Fav Celtic Player:
    Erik Sviatchenko
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Angry Badger Records:56:

3. jiko

I only watched the "just dance" video so probably hard to gauge from one song..
    Sounds good and is the style of music I could sit and listen to no bother...

I can't listen to any new music without thinking of similaritiies to other bands and your voice reminds me a lot of the singer from Reef (when you sing the loud parts) which is a good thing IMO..

youtube videos on your facebook are down for me but these youtube videos are working

[youtube]wn4ii0XiSEk[/youtube]
    [youtube]brkhu3bDOtE[/youtube]