1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Murdo MacLeod

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Sep 19, 2022.

Discuss Murdo MacLeod in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Great player and what a part he played in winning the league with Wim.

Thoughts with him and his family.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No good at all..

Hopefully pulls through :shamrock:

4. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    * bless Murdo, let's pray he pulls through, great guy and top Celtic man, played a crucial role in stopping the 10 alongside Wim

5. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

All good with Murdo

6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    When it comes to stuff like this, rumours are rotten. Posting about peoples health to get likes and appear itk. Sad *.

dbhoy72 and littlekennie like this.
  7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    What a great wee player Murdo was.

8. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Great to hear that.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

9. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    We love you Murdo.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I love Murdo, and have steadfastly ignored anything annoying he’s done purely because when we stopped the Ten I went to Celtic Park and he was going tonto Celebrating in one of the top windows of the main stand, and ye could hear him screaming yasss over the massive amount of * outside.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic legend Murdo MacLeod is looking forward to Christmas more than ever this year, after spending 103 days in hospital due to complications after a heart operation.

The 64-year-old former footballer had a heart valve replaced in 2010 and was due to have the same again in September.

But things took a turn for the worse second time around.

“One night I was looking for a breath and ended up the next morning in the hospital – then 103 days later I was still there,” he told STV News.

Wife Mhairi, who has been by Murdo’s side since they were just 16, said: “It wasn’t just the heart valve. There were other things going on as well, with his kidneys in particular.”

That resulted in Murdo being placed on a ventilator and dialysis, unconscious for much of the time, which Mhairi believes was a blessing.

“At one point, they (medical staff) said they couldn’t do anymore for him. My daughter Mhairi said: ‘We hear you but we’re not listening to you!’”

They were determined that Murdo, whose nickname on the pitch was ‘the rhino’ would pull through and he began to do just that

You start moving and you start getting up and you start pushing on and you start talking to your family and that’s a great feeling,” he said.

When Murdo was well enough to have visitors, there was a revolving door of family, friends, former teammates and famous faces keen to come wish him well.

Among them was fellow ex Celtic players Danny McGrain and Frank McGarvey, who is living with pancreatic cancer.

Murdo was particularly touched by McGarvey’s visit and has since repaid the favour by visiting Frank and saying his friend ‘is fighting on’.

Murdo also had a smile on his face when he recalled the moment actor Sanjeev Kohli came to see him. A special moment given Still Game is his favourite show.

“Sanjeev walked in – it was great. Everybody getting their picture taken with him and all that.”

While Murdo feels he missed out on many moments during his 103 day stint in hospital, technology allowed him to watch his daughter Marina graduate with her second degree.

The proud dad of three daughters said: “Obviously, we couldn’t get there. I wasn’t allowed out the hospital, but we watched it online and it was fantastic.”

Having got home just a few weeks ago, arriving back at his house in style in his daughter’s new soft-top mini, Murdo is looking forward to a very special Christmas with his extended family.

“There will be over 30 of us having dinner out. It’s very emotional with Santa Claus being about.”

Mhairi agreed, saying: “it’s absolutely wonderful, having him home.”

And Murdo is looking forward to a certain special occasion kick starting the New Year; the Old Firm match on January 2.

He added: “I love it. It takes me back. It’s a game you want to play in…as long as you win the game.”

Murdo hopes 2023 is the year he regains his strength and fitness and can get back on the golf course, while Mhairi is already planning a break for the pair in sunnier climes.

They certainly deserve it.

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    All the best Murdo. :shamrock:

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    What a shot from outside the box Murdo had, his rocket in 4-2 10 men won the league epitomised his shooting or maybe that’s my green tinted specs remembering