1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mulgrew as CB

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jaslam67, Feb 1, 2011.

Discuss Mulgrew as CB in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. seville2003

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Nicholas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all

CM for centre back ? Defo. I think he's been the unsung hero for the last few weeks. He has slipped into centre half as easilly as big Sutty used to and with considerable success. Paul Elliot, Mick McArthy and Alan Stubbs to name a few struggled for at least a year and went onto to be not to terrible centre halves for us. CM has picked up the gaunlet and been fecking brill IMO. Ok he aint facing Messi or Drogba every week but he sure links up with Danny pretty well. For SPL level he doing feckin great. Hx2

2. fairenough

Mulgrew

Mulgrew has played for;
    Dundee United on loan--They wanted to sign him up permanently.
    Recalled to Celtic Strachan row, was let go.
    Wolverhampton-- Two ankle injuries never got chance loaned to (Southend.)
    Southend on loan- They wanted to sign him up permanently.
    Aberdeen two seasons. They wanted to extend his contract. Refused new contract.
    Celtic return, signed by Lennon and continuing to progress.
    Played central midfield for Scotland under 21's two years under Maurice Malpas
    Next stop Scotland call up.
    Quote Tommy Burns to Mike McCarthy Wolves ''Mulgrew is a diamond in the rough '
    I believe we haven't seen the best of this kid yet.
    :celt_2:

3. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    I think I was harsh on Mulgrew. I've watched our recent games over again and apart from a shaky performance in the 2-2 Old Firm, he has been solid defensively.

The defensive side to his game has been questioned at left-back and rightly so, I think he's doing well at centre back because he can concentrate on defending without worrying too much about attacking. It turns out the defensive side of his game is surprisingly good.

He has shown fantastic character and I want him to succeed at Celtic just as much as the next man, I hope Mulgrew can continue to impress because he's a good Celtic man and his performances lately have merited him keeping his place at CB.

4. Heisenberg

He's by far better than Majstorovic, him and Rogne would be a class act.

5. seville2003

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Nicholas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all
    :bbpd:
    Good on ye Tab. Good character to revisit your position. End of the day we aint all right and we aint all wrong but we all want whats best for the tic. Well done mate.

"THE THUNDER IS BACK"

6. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Lets not get carried away. I've watched the match twice since Sunday and Mulgrew is still suspect in the air, if you look at the OF match again, there are at least 4 occasions where Mulgrew doesnt deal with the ball in the air properly and puts his teammates under serious pressure. Against better opposition we would have been punished for that, no doubt about it.

Majstorovic tends to challenge most of the long balls in the air when possible and Mulgrew tends to move into a sweeper position to clear if he doesnt win the aerial challenge. Mulgrew needs to improve in the air.

7. jiko

Lenny praised him after the game for showing composure and wanting to play the ball out of defence all the time rather than hoof it.. Him and Maj compliment each other well and with only 12 league games remaining for us , it's vital neither picks up an injury.. Could well be Charlie's long term position..

8. Markybhoy

The partnership of Majstorovic - Mulgrew works well on a few levels.

Majstorovic is right footed - Mulgrew is left footed. This gives us balance at the back.
    Majstorovic is a no nonsense defender - Mulgrew is a ball playing centre-back. Again, good balance.
    Majstorovic likes to attack the ball - Mulgrew prefers to read the game. More good balance.

So in all these respects this is a good partnership.

Talking purely about Charlie Mulgrew though, I still think his tackling looks weak at times and that his positional sense is not all it could be. I am really delighted, and slightly surprised, with how well Charlie Mulgrew has done over the last few weeks. However, I don't think we should be kidding ourselves on that we have unearthed a top quality centre-back in Charlie Mulgrew because we haven't.

9. seville2003

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Nicholas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all
    Spot on.