1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mulgrew as CB

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jaslam67, Feb 1, 2011.

Discuss Mulgrew as CB in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Charlie Maldini

2. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mark McGhee was right!!

I think he should be a 1st choice CB until he * up then and only then should anyone else be considered to come back in.

3. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's been outstanding in my opinion. I said before (may have been this thread) that his composure and distribution out of defence has been second to none. I was screaming for a signing in the January window, but big Charlie has came in and did a brilliant job. I'd certainly keep him at cb for the remainder.

4. andycfc94

Keep him as CB because he has been outstanding, but never let him play LB again because he was terrible there :50:

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    If it aint broke don't try to fix it, Mulgrew has grasped the opportunity with both hands :50:

6. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Branislav Ivanovic

7. paddysarmy

If it aint broke dont fix it. I think he has been excellent at CB and would keave him be even if Big Tam is fit

8. odonno

The big mans been awesome, really thought he had screwed his chance before aswel now look at him! keep them coming charlie

9. emmetf

awryte lads who did this on his wiki page :icon_mrgreen:

10. joemc

this should be used as a lesson of point to our players ,grab that chance when it comes ,like wee forrest ,and now charlie ,its important that he keeps his position now in the team and we like lennon show faith in him and we might just have the player our defence has been crying out for ,i can only see him get even better and it is even better when he is one of our own who got lost and found his way back .well done big man

11. burgerboy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I Just Can't Get Enough
    Mulgrew is playing the best football he has ever played in CB. like everyone is saying if it aint broke don't fix it

12. gunt

Yep so far at CH Charlie has risen to each challenge and done well. It still feels bizarre that noone noticed what a good LCB a very tall guy like that is. Seems to have been misadvised somewhere in his youth, probably actually with us about 6 or 7 years ago.

13. Celtic_Mel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I've got a feeling you could be right there! He's certainly been fantastic up to now and anyway and he deserves all the credit he's getting I just really hope we're wrong and he doesn't muck up in the next few games!

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was a victim of circumstance really, there was no such thing as a 'left back' under O'Neill but he was played in the left wing back role more often than he was at left centre half.

He filled out massively within the space of about 6 months as well and it was quite late on. For all he is a dumpling it looks as though McGhee was right about him when he said he is every inch a centre half.

15. timthebhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think he is far better at CH than LB. I said when he was first going to cover at CH that he played his best football for Aberdeen in that position.

The fact that he can take the ball out of defence and spot a pass is a * send. It makes you feel so much more comfortable than when Maj and Rogne play together. Two good CH's but they are traditional CH's and not the best with the ball at their feet. Mulgrew is also a big tall bhoy and won more than his fair share against jelavic. He seems to be fitting more and more into the position with every game that goes by. He will have a bad game at one point and I hope that he doesnt get dropped straight away as both Rogne and Maj have had a few shockers.

It feels good when you have been proved right. Funny though that I always forget bout the times when I am wrong!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  16. Col

17. Murph-E

I love the guy. Such an inspirational story: came through the youth, let go being told he's not good enough to make the team. Makes a name for himself elsewhere, comes back, and is pretty much immediately once again told he's not good enough. Gets one more chance in a crucial game of the season, rises magnificently to the challenge in a position that he hasn't played in the whole season. Then after that, he's put in yet another different position- and rises to the challenge even more so than before. Magnificent Charlie, keep it going!

18. Markybhoy

Charlie Mulgrew Threads Merged.

19. Tommybhoy1994

Fav Celtic Player:
    gary hooper.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    IJCGE.
    neil lennon more or less stated that CB will be mulgrew's permenant position in his BBC interview post-match yesterday. :50:

20. Celtic Yank

Charlie Puyol