1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitoring of Social media

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Tim-Time 1888, Feb 22, 2015.

Discuss Monitoring of Social media in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    So its the Governments/security services fault that their children have run away ffs. The security services are then blamed for not monitoring the social media accounts, now while that may be true (possibly), Maybe the parents could have also done something, As for this * Aamer Anwar claiming it as well, no doubt next week he will be championing the civil liberties of someone/something, when it suits him that is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31572816

UK security services 'failed' over Syria girls

One of the schoolgirls sent a message to 'jihadi bride' Aqsa Mahmood on social media last Sunday, as Keith Doyle reports

The family of a Glasgow woman who may have encouraged three London girls to join Islamic State say officials "failed" to stop them leaving the UK.

Aqsa Mahmood, 20, who went to Syria to be a "jihadi bride" in 2013, reportedly had online contact with one of the girls who flew to Turkey last week.

It is feared that Kadiza Sultana, 16, and Shamima Begum and Amira Abase, 15, may try to join extremists in Syria.

Scotland Yard said it would not discuss matters of surveillance and security.

'Evil distortion'
    In a statement, Ms Mahmood's family said it was "full of horror and anger" that she "may have had a role to play" in recruiting the girls for Islamic State (IS).

"However, the security services have serious questions to answer," the family added.

"Aqsa's social media has been monitored since she disappeared over a year ago, yet despite alleged contact between the girls and Aqsa, they failed to stop them from leaving the UK to Turkey, a staging post for Syria."

Lawyer for 'jihadi bride' family: "You would expect the authorities to knock on the door and say your child might need help"
    The statement said despite UK government "rhetoric" about IS, authorities had not taken "basic steps to stop children leaving" to join the militants.

Addressing Ms Mahmood, who moved from Glasgow to Syria to marry an IS fighter, the family added: "You are a disgrace to your family and the people of Scotland, your actions are a perverted and evil distortion of Islam."

Their lawyer Aamer Anwar told BBC Breakfast that they wanted to know how the girls could have been allowed to travel to Turkey alone.

He added: "They are deeply distressed and angry. They are thinking: 'How many other families is this happening to?'"

Aqsa Mahmood
    Aqsa Mahmood has been in Syria for more than a year
    Kadiza, Shamima and Amira, who all attended Bethnal Green Academy in east London, flew from Gatwick to Turkey after telling their parents they were going out for the day.

Police said they had been interviewed after another girl from their school went to Syria in December, but nothing had indicated they were at risk.

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford says Ms Mahmood uses a Twitter account to encourage British women to join her in Syria, and that last Sunday Shamima sent her a message via Twitter.

He said it was not clear whether the London girls - all "star GCSE pupils" - had yet crossed from Turkey into Syria.

The schoolgirls' families have all made public pleas for them to return home.

Shamima's family said: "Syria is a dangerous place and we don't want you to go there. Get in touch with the police and they will help to bring you home.

"We understand that you have strong feelings and want to help those you believe are suffering in Syria.

"You can help from home, you don't have to put yourself in danger. Please don't cross the border."

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
    Daniel Sandford reports on the appeals from relatives for the girls to come home
    Kadiza's family said: "In your absence, we, as a family, are feeling completely distressed and cannot make sense of why you left home.

"Due to the speculation that you may be travelling towards Syria, we are extremely worried about your safety."

And Amira's family said: "You are strong, smart, beautiful and we are hoping you will make the right decision. We miss you more that you can imagine."

Prime Minister David Cameron said the situation was "deeply concerning" and UK authorities would do "everything we can to help these girls".

'Religious aspect'
    Sara Khan from Inspire, an organisation which works to counter extremism and gender inequality, said 50 to 60 other young women are thought to have left the UK to join IS extremists.

"I don't think we can underplay the religious aspect to it," she told BBC Breakfast.

She added that many see it as a "religious obligation" - whereas in reality, they were "being exploited" and "groomed".

Ms Khan said relatives, especially mothers, could help prevent others leaving in a similar way by "recognising early signs and differences" in their children's behaviour and by challenging extremism.

Jonathan Russell of counter-extremism think tank the Quilliam Foundation, also said "front-line workers", including teachers and university lecturers, needed to play more of a role in spotting when people were developing "potentially dangerous views".

He said while it was likely there would be an inquiry into what more could have been done, the focus should be on "radicalisation and the motivations of these young girls".

2. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I dont want to jump in here to say something along the lines of 'brainwashing' and religion.........but lets be honest, this is a classic example of how people are forced into religion by the parents, and then it goes wrong, as in this case.

Obviously in the vast majority of cases, people just happily adhere to what they were taught, to the detriment of no one.......but if this doesnt get alarm bells ringing in the heads of some people, then there isnt much else i can say!

I do try and avoid religious debate in here these days, (unless provoked)but sometimes it needs to be said.There is being sensitive to the sensitivities of others, and there is sweeping the * under the carpet!

3. Keano88

They should have been monitoring Ms Mamoods twitter.

Since she is known for recruiting young girls.

4. iando

One of the girls who's away was following terrorists on Twitter. At 15 her family could have and should have monitored her usage.

5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If one is under age how the * did they get out the country :rolleyes:

6. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Kids over the age of 12 can fly on their own

7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Thats it then, they have gone!

I almost feel as though they are dead now, and yet i suppose in reality they may actually believe they are fulfilling their purpose in life!

Im not sure what i hope for them now, other than to be ok.

8. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...l-who-fled-to-join-isis-wants-to-return-to-uk
    One of the girls (now 19) wants to come home now as she is 9 month pregnant. She has already lost two children.

Shamima Begum: Ex-Bethnal Green schoolgirl who joined IS 'wants to come home'

“But when I saw my first severed head in a bin it didn’t faze me at all. It was from a captured fighter seized on the battlefield, an enemy of Islam.” - When she saw her first severed head...

She added: “But I just want to come home to have my child. That’s all I want right now. I’ll do anything required just to be able to come home and live quietly with my child.”
    How the * do you deal with this?

9. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    She's made her bed now she has to lie in it.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    No way should she be allowed back in the country.

Marty McFly, Dazza, Marie and 4 others like this.
  11. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Don't know much of the details but it seems she was around 15. A child making a rash decision should be given a chance. If she hit another child with a brick and killed her in anger at that age she would be out free again at this stage of her life

ChrisMoh, StPauli1916 and clonbhoy like this.
  12. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There's a difference between making a rash decison and joining a terrorist organisation. The only reason she wants to come back is because ISIS are losing. She has expressed no regrets on leaving to join ISIS, * her. Letting her back sets a horrible precedence.

13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It's a weird one as she is still a British citizen but has committed a crime (going over there) and was so young so could be seen as a victim. I wouldn't want her living near me or any of my family though, feel as though she'd be too far gone. Know what else is mental about it? she actually isn't sorry and isnt even pretending to be. She is disappointed the caliphate didnt work out and that maybe she could have done more.

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Simple the answer is No.

You could always step forward and offer her a home.

Marie likes this.
  16. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You think she would atleast try and pretend she regretted it if she is that desperate to come back. Just shows how brain dead she is.

Marie likes this.
  17. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The lack of shame is so strange. To not even pretend is just nuts. Apparently she won't be helped back;

Ben Wallace, the UK's security minister, declined to comment on Begum's individual case but said on Thursday that anyone in her position could be questioned, investigated and prosecuted for terrorist offenses if she returned home.

He also made clear that the government would not send troops into the region to rescue her. "I'm not putting at risk British people's lives to go and look for terrorists or former terrorists in a failed state," Wallace told the BBC's "Today" radio program on Thursday.

Jeannie960, Raoul Duke and Marie like this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Her age cannot be used as an excuse, her and her pals knew exactly what they were doing, this is the age of social media, they had all the information and still went ahead and joined a sub-human group of monsters with no regard for human life.

There was no cause or ideology, just brutality and murder.

Letting her back would be a kick in the teeth especially to the families that have lost loved ones at the hands of isis.

KRS-1888 and Marie like this.
  19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    If she was my child I would.

Also it might have escaped your notice but I'm not british nor do I live in britain

20. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Not old enough to vote. Not old enough to drink. Not old enough to marry. Old enough to make a decision that effects the rest of her life.

ChrisMoh, StPauli1916 and clonbhoy like this.