1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Dana confirmed that Khabib v Tony is set for April.

Nasser likes this.
  2. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Makes Conor look like a * if he’d rather get stripped than defend the belt, Dana said he wants to comeback in September which is ridiculous, guarantee he’ll come back lookin to fight Nate.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Think everyone is aware Conor’s biggest driver is his bank balance at this point.

He doesn’t look like a * in the slightest.

4. GavCFC1

Would rather he just didn’t come back at this stage

5. Keano88

If all goes to plan it's all set for Khabib vs McGregor in Russia then..

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Doesn’t look like a * but it affects his chances of being in the conversation for the best of all time.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

First time ever I’m backing Cormier. Can’t take to that Volkan at all.

8. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Don't get the obsession with McGregor fighting in Russia, seems alien to me that the biggest draw in combat sports would be down to travel to * Russia to fight a contender in his back yard.

I get that Russia is, or potentially is, a huge market for the UFC, but surely McGregor would want Dublin (If it's to be held in Europe) over a 30k Russian stadium?

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It would be an amazing story though. Khabib is an animal who nobody knows how to beat. Conor is the biggest star in the UFC. For him to go to Russia as the underdog and beat the unbeatable Khabib would be historic.
    Rocky type *. I’d be all over it, they could market the * out of it.

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Good Bellator card this weekend Sonnen -Rampage, Lima - Rory McDonald, Aaron Pico and Michael Chandler fighting too.

11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Poirier v Gaethje announced.

Gaethje is just fighting guys who love a scrap. Definitely not complaining!

12. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

McGregor is not going into that fight as the underdog, nor will the UFC be marketing it that way. No chance is the champ, and poster boy, being marketed as an underdog in his own weight devision.

Khabib may very well have the beating of McGregor, has the tools to maul anyone in that division. After seeing McGregor-Mendes, Khabib would worry me if I was a McGregor fan. On that I'd agree.

It's gotten to the stage that McGregor doesn't need "Rocky type *", an underdog type promo or a jaunt to * Russia! McGregor should be looking to line his own pockets, sell out the Aviva, Croke Park, even Wembley before a 30k stadium in Russia.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He can do that anytime though, he will sell out whoever he fights. The Khabib fight in Russia is huge. It all depends on Khabib v Ferguson. If Khabib dominates again then of course Conor is the underdog.

If the UFC is wise they’d market the fight that way. Not market him as a huge underdog, but just the question of how is he going to beat him and the challenge of going to Khabibs back yard to face this undeafeated monster.

That’s the fight to make. Khabib in Ireland doesn’t have the same bite. Diaz 3 there would be interesting.

14. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

McGregor's last MMA fight was just as dominant, against the at the time undisputed champ. There's no way the UFC market McGregor as the underdog in his own division, the division in which he holds the strap.

Doesn't need the bite, why would McGregor want more "bite"? He's the champ and the poster boy of the sport, McGregor doesn't need Russia to sell PPV's.

That's my point, I don't disagree on your point about it sounding compelling. He could sell out stadiums in Dublin, train at home, stay at home and reward his insanely loyal fans who travel to see him. Of course that can all still happen down the line, but he probably doesn't have many fights left.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

As one of his biggest fans I personally think that ship has sailed.

He’ll be remembered as a pioneer, never a GOAT.

MacEwan likes this.
  16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t really think you can call it his division when he’s fought there once and he’s not going to be the champion come September if the reports are true.

Going to Russia to beat an undefeated fighter to get his belt back is huge. It’s not about Conor selling PPV’s because the guy could fight anyone and sell a fight, Khabib needs the help and it’s win win for the UFC. If they market it as a huge challenge for McGregor a loss won’t hurt that much and he could fight Diaz in Ireland. They’d also get into the Russian market and Khabib becomes a huge star.

17. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

It's now his division, he ain't going back down.

It only makes sense for me if he's stripped, otherwise I don't see the sense in him defending his belt in Russia.

18. Nasser

Conor would be mad to go to Russia to fight Khabib, Conor is the champion, going to the lions den to fight one of the most dominate fighters the UFC has seen for a while would be a huge risk.

I can't wait for Ngannou v Stipe, part of me thinks Ngannou stops Stipe early but Ngannou is untested against someone as good as Stipe and could come unstuck. I was going to have a big bet on Ngannou but now I'm not going anywhere near that fight it's just too hard to call.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He will be stripped if Dana has a set of balls.

Keano88 likes this.
  20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

People are saying Stipes wrestling will be the game changer but there’s also people saying that Ngannou has improved his wrestling a lot, along with the brute strength he has it’s going to be tough for Stipe to take him down. I’m a huge Stipe fan, I like Ngannou too but I want a Stipe win. Although my prediction? Monsterous uppercut KO as Stipe goes to take him down or grapple.

Nasser likes this.