1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

And start listening to you instead, eh? :smiley-laughing002:

That's all part of the game though. You're not going in there to make friends.

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I know what you mean, but there's a basic level of respect I would expect a 'non-fighter' to show a 'real-fighter' before they step into the cage. I think his opponent called it spot on when he said he was still acting, and was about to get found it.

He isn't going in to make friends, but you're better showing respect to the guy before the first bell than after it, if at all. It all just seems a bit cheesy, basically the equivalent of me stepping in to the UFC, refusing to shake hands with my opponent and then going on about kids following their dreams etc after being mauled :smiley-laughing002:

In any even I hope the UFC move on from this type of thing.

3. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I do too, but it may well have brought on board a whole new set of fans. There must be many wrestling fans (Punk fans)who still hadnt given MMA much of a viewing. To see him dismantled in such a fashion must surely have opened their eyes to MMA a little.

Even in here i have noticed more and more wrestling fans become involved in this thread. (Granted not necessarily due to this fight.)

4. Nasser

They may well get younger fans but UFC has always done well from getting fans from WWE when Shamrock returned to WWE after fighting in UFC he was cheered to the rafters. It's nothing new, Dana has always known that he could tap into that WWE market where Boxing can't. One of the reasons UFC is huge in America is the wrestling aspect, Americans love wrestling from fantasy WWE to actual wrestling in schools. The Japanese did the same with PRIDE and so on they added the drama element of Japanese wrestling to MMA from entrances to building up characters.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He had strep throat and told the UFC that, Dana convinced him to fight.

6. Dáibhí

Thing is, we've seen guys do it lots of times before, the same as we've seen guy get blown out in a fight plenty of times before as well.

It's all being scrutinised because of who he is if we're honest.

7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Rockhold had staph against Weidman, McGregor had a * ACL vs Mendes. Point being the vast majority of fighters will have some considerable ailment stepping into the octagon following a tough camp. Northcutt would have been well within his rights to pull out but he's a big boy now and makes his own decisions and has to live by those decisions. I'm sure Barbarena wasn't 100% either.

Sorry but you can't claim he's a beast when he has recently lost to a fighter as technically limited as Barbarena.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Dana White took the blame for it, his words not mine.

I'm claiming he's a beast because I've seen his striking. There aren't many (if any at all) 20 year old members in the Black Belt HOF. Definitely not with a 5-0 record racked up in 4 months of MMA.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Like I said, what's he's done so far is inpressive but he has a long way to go. Dana took the blame for his golden boy's loss? You don't say. In all seriousness, that means nothing to me whether Dana took the blame or not. That decision and its consequences all come down to Sage.

10. ynwa1987

CM Punk probably felt a embarrassed although he definitely shouldn't have.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you think his 'Golden Boy' is a guy scraping onto main cards you are miles wide of the mark in the first instance.

In the second your logic that someone who suffered 1 loss isn't a killer is also well off.

Time will tell what he becomes, I've seen enough to know he's a superb fighter who's only going 1 way.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

If you think a 20 year old kid who was 2-1 in the UFC (with one of those wins against Cody Pfister ffs) and gets onto the main card of UFC 200 against a complete nobody ISN'T Dana's Golden Boy you're well wide of the mark.

When did I say he's not a killer. Sage Northcutt could murder 99.9+% of the population in unarmed combat, you're getting no arguments from me there.

Time will tell what he becomes, true. I haven't disagreed with you on that. His potential has no ceiling. Right now though his hands aren't good, his timing is off and his ground game leaves a lot to be desired.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I understand your obsession with McGregor because I share it.

But I don't understand your obsession with Northcutt, he's been poor since he's came in.

14. ynwa1987

What kind of impact would Mcgregor have made in the UFC at 19 though?

Im not really a fan but Sage has crazy potential . People forget how young he is and say he is over rated, but if you compare him to other 19/20 year olds in MMA you would have to say he is one of the better ones.

15. Dáibhí

The circumstances are completely different though, aren't they? Northcutt could end up doing * all for any number of reasons despite his undoubted potential.

A few losses and his confidence may go, he may make some money and lose the nut a bit, or his weird & mental old man may interfere too much in his career.

Speaking of him, anyone think he's one of those mental American sports parents you see sometimes? Why the * does Sage have Firas Zahabi and other Tristar coaches in his corner as well as his dad, who isn't a * coach?

Anyone read what Muay Thai champion Ilya Grad had to say about him? He was brought in to help Sage with his stand up and had this to say after their work together;

To top it all off his dad was busted in the 90's for being in possession of 25 kilos of cocaine and was apparently one of the "go-to guys" in Dallas for steroids.

Something isn't right with him, and I think he could end up * up his sons potential.

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Sage seems like a very sheltered kid or something. He's not all in it. His father seems like he could easily ruin his son's career yeah

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Any MMA fighter who gets the chance to spar with a genuine Nak Muay should take the chance. The sparring culture is so different from western boxing or MMA, and really drops all ego and focuses on teaching/learning. It's practically playful in comparison but a great way to learn.

His dad sounds like a *.

18. ynwa1987

I mean well yea thats why it is just potential at this stage but its still there. I never said he was a dead cert to make it, theres a ton of factors involved. Apparently he attending an Ivy league collage for engineering or something so he may decide he would rather earn a good living without getting punched in the face.

Yea Sage is a peculiar guy , almost as if someone has programmed a cyborg to act like the all American Christian athlete stereotype. The fact his dad was busted selling cocaine makes it even weirder. Maybe he has just turned his life around and doesnt want Sage to make the same mistakes and is over compensating for it.

And yea his dad sounds like a tool, could get in the way of Sages development, once he finished Collage he should probably move away and leave his dad behind. You cant compete at the top level when your head coach doesnt have a good martial arts background.

19. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Chael Sonnen back fighting with Bellator.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'm not obsessed with either of them :56:

I enjoy watching good fighters of which both of those are. Conor on a completely different level right enough.

Northcutt is a kid with a talent, that's it. We'll see where his journey goes, what I do know is he's done and shown far more than Mikey Gall has.