1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    10/10 photoshop skills :56:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2018
  2. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I tried my best :brendy:

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He's done, and it's baffling that after a half decent performance from gamboa against Rosenborg that Lustig is thrown straight back in by Rodgers.

Persisting with him will cost us big time.

CalgaryBhoy and McManus4 like this.
  4. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I think it is shocking some of the derogatory names being labelled on Lustig, he has been a great servant to the club and has grown into the club ethos.It's ok to be critical of his performances but for the love of jeez can we do it with a degree of respect. I think it must be difficult for any player to recognise that he is no longer able to maintain his performance levels or to admit it to himself, hence he believes he will get back what is lacking. The manager however should see it and take the appropriate steps, but as long as the manager selects him, then the problem will continue to manifest itself, but for the love of * lay off the insulting names.

5. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I used to get slaughtered for it, but I think the tide has turned on this one. The majority of the fans can see he’s our weak link and want him gone.
    Rodgers should swallow his pride and play Gamboa fs. He’s a far better option, especially in this system.

6. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Brendans fault. It was obvious he needed phased out last year. Anyone that was able to recognise it was respectful in saying it. But yeah that time has passed and he needs * out altogether not phased out at this point

Sno'sLeftFoot likes this.
  7. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Been a great servant just unfortunately passed his best by date. Unfortunately it looks like he is set for a sharp decline too. I don't think this time last year stig would have let that cross make the box

bagforlife likes this.
  8. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

He was a major reason why we conceded three against AEK over the two legs.

Let two crosses come in the box for two of them and lost his man for the 2nd goal in Athens although Hendry should have done better before hand and won the header initially.

Need better there now. Doesn’t offer an attacking outlet and has been a liability in defence for quite a while now as well.

Gamboa has to be first choice for me.

Ralston hasn’t impressed me at all. I know he is young but he is nowhere near where Tierney was when he first came in the side and doesn’t look like he the ability or potential to make it here imo.

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  9. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Time is up.

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Seems to be Rodgers favourite but hopefully and surely he’s realised he is a massive weak link. It’s bad enough having a weak centre back pairing like Jozo and Hendry then having to rely on them to cover over and help Lustig continually only makes matters worse.

Love him but as I’ve been saying since Rodgers came in he doesn’t suit our style or the way we set up, we need a pacey right back like Gamboa.

11. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I don't want him gone he still has a part to play but he can't 50 games a season anymore.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Over two years ago he was getting roasted by Hayes at Pittodrie..

BR recognised this brought in pacey Gamboa and then doesn't play him enough. Five windows to get a decent RB in.. it's a must in the remainder of this window..

13. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It’s embarrasing for a club of our level to not have replaced him by now.

There’s genuinely guys at junior level that would roast him for pace and movement.

For a big guy he’s always getting beat in the air and is very poor positionally at the back post. Something you’d hope he’d get better at with age.

I said almost two years ago that it would be unfair on him to continue to play him at right back at the highest level, and that it would damage his standing within the support.

Well that’s definiely happened and it’s the manager and the board’s fault as much as Lustig’s.

rkid likes this.
  14. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sadly, despite loving the guy, I think we should be replacing him as a starter. Lack of pace gets exposed regularly and I would say teams are targeting our right side due to this. Look at the goals we have lost. That said, I can’t for the life of me work out why, for their second goal the other night, he had his hands up looking at the ref while the ball was dropping in behind. Absolute * hour.

bagforlife and Hammy89 like this.
  15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    To be fair we have only one strong link in defence - Tierney. I'd look to phase out or sell the rest, except Ajer. Ajer has a future here and Tierney is one of the first names on the team sheet. The rest are bench warmers at best. We need a new right back and two new centre backs.

16. M 67

I’d agree with this. If we’re going with 3 at the back, we’ll need 2 new first team CBs and 1 back up. Wouldn’t keep anyone but Ajer as a starter and Hendry as back up.

Not as easy task but surely there must be decent defenders in Scandinavia or the Italian lower leagues?

17. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    We need a new right back, any new right back. I literally cannot think of any way that lustig could be worse than he currently is. We could pick pretty much any right back that our scouts are aware of and there's almost a 100% chance that they'd be an upgrade on him

18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think he is a top quality player but he does not fit the system. I have only seen 2 of the 3 AEK goals and he was certainly partly at fault for both of those. However is part of a very good defensive Swedish team, which is why I still rate him. I think he would be very good in a defensive team but he is not for us right now except as squad player.

bagforlife and trackebhoy like this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Save it for Sunday.

[​IMG]

20. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Guess we will just ignore he was the worst player on the park for the 3rd time this season in europe. If you can't perform against a lithunian team what chance has he got against the likes of bayern,psg etc.. But he is a top quality player :43: My * we were going to buy Piccini