1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Messi v Ronaldo

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Marty McFly, Dec 12, 2017.

Discuss Messi v Ronaldo in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ORIGINALS

They aren't in the GOAT debate because they aren't as good as Ronaldo or Messi so I'm not quite sure why you're bringing them up. The fact that you think Messi losing in the final of the WC is somehow more impressive than Ronaldo actually winning a tournament with his country is weird. The fact that you are going out of your way to not give Ronaldo any credit captaining his country to victory is weird as well.

2. ORIGINALS

Nobody remembers the losers. It's true. Every participant is there to WIN. anything less is a failure.

3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Johan Cruyff, Lev Yashin, George Best, Frenc Puskás to name but a few

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Again, you are making stuff up. Quote where I’ve said Messi being a runner up in the World Cup with Argentina is better than Ronaldo winning the Euros with Portugal?

5. ORIGINALS

Ronaldo has won something at international level and Messi hasn't. People let their hatred of him cloud their judgement and that shows in this thread as people are trying to deny him one of the greatest successes of his career, "oh but he hardly played in the final", "oh but he didn't score against Poland", "His teammates won it for him". I understand why people don't like him and are jealous of him but come on.

6. ORIGINALS

Oops mistake

7. ORIGINALS

I misread your post, you didn't say that.

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

On an individual level, which is what we're talking about now, Messi was more impressive in the 2014 World Cup than Ronaldo was in the 2016 Euros.

Messi - 4 goals - scored in every group game in 2014...the winning goal against Bosnia, a last minute winner against Iran and 2 goals in a 3-2 win over Nigeria. 4 MOTM awards and was voted the best player of the tournament.

Ronaldo - 3 goals - scored two against Hungary in a 3-3 draw in the group and one against Wales in a 2-0 win in the SF. 2 MOTM awards. He also went off very early in the final so he did nothing to win them that game.

Yes Ronaldo came out with a trophy and Messi didn't, however it's clear as day that Messi had a greater influence on the 2014 WC than Ronaldo did in the 2016 Euros.

The IRA likes this.
  9. Barry Robson

I don't have any hatred for Ronaldo or playing down his euros success. You stated that Messi has never played well at international tournaments which was false and it's fact that the Portugal team stood up without the main man to win the final. Not once did I say it's not a great achievement. Maybe your Hatred of Messi is clouding your judgement of him ever playing well for Argeninta

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Noone takes it away from him that hes won an international tournament. Just people arent naive to believe that he even remotely did it on his own

11. ORIGINALS

Well seeing as it's a team game I don't think anybody would say that. People admit he won the tournament, and even though he was the captain, want to pretend that he didn't make any contribution at all. There's this sort of weird, petty hatred for him all over the internet and i just find it bizarre.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No it doesn’t.

13. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Of course it does, the CL is the pinnacle.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, it doesn’t. How a player performs over the course of an entire season trumps a good goal return in one competition. Messi consistently performed better than Ronaldo, that’s just a fact.

Gabriel likes this.
  15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Tbf itnwas a season of 2 halfs. Messi was far ahead of Ronaldo forst half of last season. Ronaldo had a sublime 2nd half

Liam Scales and Clint Eastwood like this.
  16. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

17. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Messi vs Ronaldo isn’t a comparison but tbh I still don’t think Leo is the GOAT above Maradonna.

Can be seen as a cliche but take Messi out the Barca team, where since age 13 everything has been set up solely for him, I genuinely don’t think he’s as successful. Moreso put Messi in an average national team and bog standard Serie A team does he single handedly drag them to unprecedented success??

Plus Messi is a fine tuned athlete, given the best support and medicine to help him perform since childhood whilst Diego was a fat coke head getting kicked rotten every match.

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Napoli weren't bog standard though, people always say that. They paid a World record fee for Maradona and had a very good team, also signed the Brazil striker Careca who I think was top scorer at the 1986 World Cup.

Was more of a 2004? Chelsea - former weeish team buying great players than a Leicester team with Maradona in it.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  19. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't know the era well at all tbh, but how good were the rest of the Napoli team? Could they have won the title without Maradona because I'm sure I read that was their first ever title?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Maradona scored 10 goals in the 86/87 season. There is some amount of revisionism about that time. Aye he’s one of the greatest but he didn’t ‘single handedly’ do anything.

Vialli scored more for the 6th place team in Sampdoria.