1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Lyon V Celtic, Sat 18th July Premiere sports 19:45

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marie, Jul 17, 2020.

Discuss Lyon V Celtic, Sat 18th July Premiere sports 19:45 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

Lyon put out there top team and even playing within themselves looked a good few levels above most of the team who started tonight.

Boli was shambolic to say the least which didn’t help Welsh playing left CB but he didn’t have a clue where he was meant to be most of the time. Biton and El Hamed got dragged all over the place to try and cover which left gaping holes.

Soro for every good bit of play it was followed by carelessly giving the ball away through poor passing. Robertson for me was pretty invisible as was Ntcham for long spells of the half. Both had some nice touches but didn’t get close to getting a grip of the game.

On the wings Dembele clearly has talent but doesn’t do enough for me, it might be lack of service but for large parts of the game he is not involved in the play. Granted Cornet he was up against looked a good player. Henderson is not a left winger but out of all of the younger boys impressed me the most, he was brave, tried to get on the ball.

Upfront I thought Klimala done fine, he took the ball in well and tried to find team mates which didn’t always come off but he showed good strength to take it in. I don’t think the formation suits him as he got very little support from the wings or midfield and was often isolated chasing scraps. I would like to see him play with a partner upfront.

I think baring El Hamed and Klimala there is not many others I would be keen to be reliant on from the team that started the game. Some look some way from first team ready with Celtic. Granted it is preseason friendlies and if it were one or two instead of most of a team you may see a better showing from some of them.

On a more positive note I thought Moi looked good when the first team came on, glad to have him back. I would be keen to see some more reinforcements coming into the team to compete with those in the team from the last 30 mins.

I think we look a bit lightweight at times and could do with a bit more of a physical presence through out the team.

2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Honestly thought if we'd went in 1-0 at HT we'd have done well. There reserves done a shift and done well to calm the storm after going a goal behind so early.

The 2nd goal was frustrating though because they'd done well to take the sting out their game until then, and to lose such an easy goal right before half time shows a huge weakness in their concentration.

It was a different game once the first team came on and I'm glad we got the goal against them. Overall the tournament was a mismatch of reserves vs first team but I thought we showed our quality and our hard work during quarantine and it was a good run out for the lads.

If the scumbags think that they are a good team because of a couple of good results against their reserves then even better. Can't wait until the start of the season.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. CarmunnockBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    seamus1967 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This thread is hilarious.

So many losing their * over our reserves losing an away friendly to some of the best talent on the continent playing at full strength with more minutes under their belt.

Anyone would think this was an overreaction because Lyons reserves got beaten by the mighty sevco.

Bottom line is, Lyon used this fixture as a dress rehearsal for their CL fixture, and once our first string came on, we did more than ok.

We've got a great, winning side with tonnes of experience with summer additions still to be made.

Folks need to calm the * down.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If you stick a load of reserves together against a champions league side its never going to go great but it's the practice those guys need. When you stick a couple of those players in with Jamesy, Broony, Eddy, Jullien etc then you will see that they probably can do a job for us.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Only saw the highlights but as good an option as bitton is to have, goin into the start of such an important season with bitton playin regularly at CB worries me. We really need a seasoned CB in.
    Agree with boli comment. Utter liability. Again with him bitton and young welsh at the back, is concerning. I know it was a preseason and it’s more or less a run out but if Lenny is considering that as a back line, surely the performance speaks for itself.
    Moi took his goal lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    OK.