1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lubo Moravcik

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by dbhoy72, Feb 7, 2016.

Discuss Lubo Moravcik in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT was 20 years ago today, on November 7, 1998 that the legendary Lubomir Moravcik first donned the Hoops on the day that Jock Brown resigned as General Manager of the club.

It was the departing General Manager who was involved in the appointment of Dr Jozef Venglos as manager and, of course, it was Dr Jo who pulled the masterstroke of signing his fellow Slovak – the 33-year-old midfielder who was something of an unknown quantity.

His capture by the club was greeted with ridicule in the press, because of his age and the fact that the reported fee was £300,000 – while ignoring the fact that Colin Hendry, born the same year as Moravcik, had recently signed for Rangers for £4million.

Lubo’s debut, on November 7 that year against Dundee at Celtic Park had a few people wondering if they would be eating their words as he pulled the strings in a commanding 6-1 win over the Dens Park side.

There then followed a defeat to St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park, but the acid test came in the next game when Celtic would meet their Ibrox counterparts at Paradise.

Masterclass Part II unfolded as Lubo reigned supreme and scored twice in a magnificent 5-1 win over Rangers – the magical Moravcik would turn out to be just as much of a capture for the club as Henrik Larsson, who also scored twice in that derby.

Looking back at his debut on the 20th anniversary of the event, Lubo told Celtic TV today: “I remember it was quite an easy game because we won 6-1. I didn’t score but assisted a few goals and, for me, it was quite an easy game because we played well - but I remember much more about the second game because we lost it.”

He added: When I first signed, I asked how many people come to each league game and was told that it was full all the time. That was unbelievable and I couldn’t wait to play in front of such a fantastic crowd. I was very pleased to spend three-and-a-half years at Celtic Park and it was easy to play in front of that big support.”

It very soon became clear that Lubo was something very special and, some people, did indeed, have to eat their words.

However, the Slovak didn’t feel he had a point to prove, all he said was: “They didn’t realise that I had a very successful career in France and they didn’t know what I was able to do.”

We all know now what Lubo was able to do and to many of a whole generation of Celtic fans he was simply the best player they had ever seen wearing the Hoops, and even 20 years later he is still held in high regard.

Lubo said: “It’s unbelievable and crazy, but still a pleasure and it has all gone by so fast. It was nice to come back for the charity games and I’m very pleased to go back to Glasgow and Celtic Park. It’s always a big moment for me.”

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The IRA likes this.
  7. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Like Messi only better.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Messi spends time watching Lubo.

Xatraps likes this.
  9. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I didn't know that tbf

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Confirmed it in an interview.

Just type Messi Lubo.

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Messi wanted the. No. 25 at Barca, but they didn't want to burden him with that number.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT was on this day 54 years ago on June 22, 1965 that Lubomir Moravcik was born in the Slovakian town of Nitra.

Following starring for his hometown team, the midfielder played for Saint-Etienne and Bastia in France, MSV Duisburg in Germany and both the Czechoslovakian and Slovakian national teams before donning the Hoops

However, Moravcik’s arrival at Celtic was met with indifference by the Scottish press. One columnist was moved to describe the transfer as “laughable” and label him as nothing more than one of Dr Jozef Venglos’ “pals”.

Yet after 90 mercurial minutes in his debut match against Dundee, which Celtic won 6-1, everyone realised that Celtic had a special talent on their hands. He was outstanding, with his sublime cross for Henrik Larsson’s hat-trick goal the highlight of the match.

Costing just £300,000 from Duisburg, Moravcik immediately looked like the steal of the decade.

He had been a Celtic player for less than a month by the time Rangers arrived at Celtic Park for the first Glasgow derby of the 1998/99 season. It’s a game that can make or break even seasoned professionals, but Lubo was born for this stage.

Some 11 minutes had elapsed when he stepped on to Larsson’s dummy and whipped an unerring left-foot finish into the bottom corner from 18 yards. Just four minutes into the second half, Lubo was at it again – powering home a bullet header to give Celtic a 2-0 lead. A Larsson double and a solitary Mark Burchill strike rounded off the famous 5-1 victory.

He maintained his love affair with the Glasgow derby in what is now known simply as the 6-2 game and it needs no real introduction. It was the first Glasgow derby of Martin O’Neill’s reign and Celtic gave a signal of their intent in the Demolition Derby.

Lubo was at the heart of it all. It was from his corner that Chris Sutton fired Celtic ahead, before Stiliyan Petrov met another expert Lubo delivery to make it 2-0. With Rangers all over the place, Lubo sold Barry Ferguson a dummy and cut the ball back to Paul Lambert for a stunning third. Larsson’s double and Sutton’s late goal sealed the win.

It carried on as Celtic travelled over the Clyde as champions in April 2001. Neil Lennon’s pass was cushioned into Lubo’s path by Larsson and the Slovakian curled his shot beyond Stefan Klos. Yet he wasn’t finished. Running on to Shaun Maloney’s flick, Lubo ghosted past his marker and again found the corner. Larsson’s 50th goal of the season made it a dream afternoon for Celtic.

To single out these games, though, is a travesty as the skills of one of the greatest players to ever play for Celtic were a constant sight at grounds across Scotland and beyond. Lubo would trot over to take a corner and a band of Celtic fans would extend their arms and bow at the midfield genius. It was inspired by the ‘We’re Not Worthy’ sketch from Wayne’s World and this type of adulation meant a lot to Moravick, who always made sure he applauded the Hoops fans who idolised him.

The little magician scored 35 goals in his 129 games with 16 of those goals coming from his left foot, 16 from his right and three were headers and, in reference to trapping the ball with his backside against Hearts, the great man himself once said: “Football is not really about trapping the ball with your *, though, it's about scoring goals and winning the game.”

Few did that better than Lubo Moravcik.

Many Happy Returns, Lubo.

14. themouth1888

Feel sorry for the younger generation who didn't grow up with likes of Morvacik and Larsson etc....

15. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    My first Celtic game 4th of December 1999 I was actually quite old for it being my first game at 14 years of age but my da didn't like football.

Anyway it was against hibs. Viduka scored, Moravcik got 2 and Weighorst scored a chip. I remember it clearly. Moravcik was unbelievable that day. Loved the man ever since and even before really.

Happy birthday Lubo.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Happy birthday Lubo!

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A genuine Gift from *.

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    2FG.................:ynwacelti

19. MyNameIsMartin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    I remember that game at Parkhead (6-1, I think Eric Annand scored for the dee). During training I had seen Lubomir warming up and asked my Da "Is that that 34-year old we just signed? Why the * are we signing people who are virtually retired?!"

I've said it before, I'll say it again - Henrik is and always will be the king of kings. But this guy is the greatest footballer I have ever seen in a Celtic jersey.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    dbhoy72 likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Can't argue with that statement..

An absolute genius who I'm glad I got to appreciate..

MyNameIsMartin likes this.