1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Love island 2019

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Jax Teller, Jun 3, 2019.

Discuss Love island 2019 in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Never mind cancelling Love Island. It’s * social media and the little cretins that dedicate their sad lives to berating anyone as soon as they make a mistake.

Slaw likes this.
  2. Onefootwonder

Love Island is gutter TV. People watch to see people suffer, then run to social media and slate them, that then fills the trashy tabloid papers that they support. It's all a big cycle.

You can't support shows like this and then pretend you have people's welfare as your main concern. All the threads about Love Island, including here, berate the contestants for their behaviour, their hardships, and even their appearance. That's an intrinsic part of the make up of the show.

I briefly watched the show, but for example the guy the big teeth went viral just for his teeth. Everyone was openly mocking him and the insults were harsh. It's just bullying.

I do agree that social media is toxic. It amazes me the way people behave on social media and especially on the sites that all their family and friends know who they are. That's modern life though. It's the normal way to behave these days.

A lot of people have used these shows and social media to become rich and successful. Part of being in this circuit is always going to mean you are under intense scrutiny. In some ways you have to expect what is going to happen. It shouldn't be a surprise.

What Caroline was facing trial for is much worse than a mistake. It doesn't sound as if it was a one off attack on a guy either.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Love Island isn’t the problem, things like Big Brother were far more intrusive into people’s lives yet no one hung themselves coming out of that.

The issue these days is the direct lines of communication to celebrities and the lack of filter that society now has.

Telling someone to go die from your maws back bedroom on the Internet, when that same person would fold like a deckchair when faced with the person in real life is a major, major, issue which has to have greater repercussions than it currently does.

MacEwan and Marty McFly like this.
  4. Onefootwonder

Big Brother started off well. It was a bunch of normal people doing normal stuff. They had no idea what was going to come of it.

It then turned into a show where people were desperate for fame. Rather than picking normal people they picked people who were desperate for fame and also a few people they knew would pull negative attention. Rather than being a dozen people doing normal stuff it became a game show.

Love Island picks out people desperate for fame and fortune. They pick people based on their appearance. I gather that most are picked due to their social media followings too? Half the time the "random" people they pick often know each other in advance.

Not that I watch the show very often, but what is very clear is a of the people on Love Island have issues. It's cringeworthy, but that's why people watch. That's the drama when you see people getting all upset at being rejected or fighting over a partner.

The fact these shows have to offer counselling and support to people who appear tells all you need to know. Don't create the problems that you are then forced to try and fix. Don't use mentally unstable people for public ridicule and then think some counselling solves the problem. It doesn't.

Like everything else in life if people like something they'll make excuses for it. It's always ok if you are the bully, or it's someone else you don't like getting the abuse. It only becomes meaningful when it's the opposite.

Love Island is gutter TV. It's everything that is bad about modern life played out on TV, social media and tabloid papers. They all go hand in hand.

Spring Time, Officer Doofy and Twisty like this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Love Island is 1 of many pieces of gutter telly. Alongside X Factor and every other ‘reality tv’ show.

They aren’t to blame, it’s a societal problem not the problem of 1 telly programme.

The media have much, much, more blood on their hands. Particularly as related to Caroline Flack.

6. Onefootwonder

The TV show is putting them in front of millions to be mocked, embarrass themselves and create drama for the watcher.

We all know what they are doing, so you can't set up the predictable and then be surprised when the public react in a predictable way.

What did the media really do? I've read the same comment a few times and I've asked what they did that overstepped the mark. Nobody has said yet.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You’ve got be having a laugh? Why are you attempting to lay blame if you don’t know the full story then?

She has clearly killed herself because she’s being vilified publicly by the gutter press for a personal issue with her boyfriend that was going to Trial. Not only did she leave Love Island on good and mutual terms, it’s her best pal that took over from her - with her blessing.

The fact the papers spent their Saturday night deleting their sewer pieces on her tells you all you need to know.

8. Onefootwonder

How was she vilified?

I've asked the same question a few times and nobody comes up with an answer.

Personal issue with her boyfriend? Do you not think that is heavily trivialising the accusations?

Given the level of accusations I think she got a far easier time than any guy would.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How can it be heavily trivialising the accusations? It’s literally a personal issue with her boyfriend?

She was painted as a psycho abuser, which may or may not be true, but innocent until proven guilty clearly doesn’t exist anymore.

What do you want? Examples?

10. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Google caroline flack ex boyfriend and you will see all the tabloids slating her.not just the sun i counted at least ten different slating her .

PaulM1888 likes this.
  11. Onefootwonder

Since when was accusations of attempted murder, her boyfriend's own accusation, a personal matter?

The police have footage of her conduct over the phone call for reporting attempted murder, at the flat and at the station throwing tables and having to be restrained.

The boyfriend changed his story and wanted to withdraw the accusations. Why do you think the police are refusing to drop this case?

She has non disclosure against an ex boyfriend that she is also suspected of assaulting.

Yes I was asking for examples of what is classified as vilified. I think given the level of accusations facing her she has been given a light time, but of course I could be missing something?

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The press had an agenda to make her out to be this jilted nutcase.

The publication of the "blood soaked bedsheets" on front pages, they took pride in selling it as a scene like a horror movie. Digging up her past and picking a fault at every relationship she ever had, or tried to have. Publishing that an ex feared he would die if he hadn't got out of their relationship.

All the time whilst she was up on a charge and their was a live criminal investigation. Hardly innocent until proven guilty. The 'victim' also stating he didn't want to press charges numerous times.

She has had to put up with it all her career. Granted, dating a 17 year old Harry Styles didn't help, it gave ammunition for the press to portray her as a predatory cougar of a woman. Then anything she ever did after this was scrutinised. To say the media haven't vilified her is definitely naive at best.

packybhoy, Montero, cfcturbo and 5 others like this.
  13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Do you think it’s only Love Island contestants that are victims of this bullying?

It’s everywhere and happening to anyone, all over the internet and throughout the media.

Love Island is gutter TV but it is a far bigger issue than that. Solely blaming Love Island is naive.

Mistake or not, she’s taken her own life and she’s been pushed to that point. She didn’t deserve that.

PaulM1888 and TheHappyLoss like this.
  14. Onefootwonder

It isn't solely responsible, but it is a significant show. ITV have been asked to drop the show, but they won't when it's a big money spinner. The promise of additional support for the contestants still defeats the root of the problem.

You can't say it's ok for Love Island to be shown only because it's not solely at fault. Putting out drivel like that on a main TV channel is indeed normalising mocking and bullying.

I still think half of the show is intentionally setup to stir up * and story lines. It makes the headlines.

Equally tabloid papers won't stop reporting about social media celebrities when that's what people buy their newspaper or click on their website for.

We are all slating what people say on social media. This website is social media and you'll find plenty of abusive and degrading comments in this thread.

There is no disputing it's sad that she's taken her life.

15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Can’t help but think that some sleazy TV exec was sticking lines up his nose last night and toasting her death for bringing higher viewing figures to ITV. It’s the selfish absorbing society we live in and mental health seems like a good sound bite to highlight but what is actually being done to help people. * all literally. I will say I have been pretty lucky on that side but someone was watching over me because most people fall through the net. Society has to change at ground level and I feel most for people in early teens up to about their early 30s. That is the section that is obsessed with likes and pictures of a lifestyle they don’t or won’t ever own. Smoke and mirrors and MP’s treat it like a hot potato because they can’t afford a solution.

16. Onefootwonder

A few years back magazines, TV programmes super model scene, clothing brands and catalogues, newspapers just about everyone came under attack for being irresponsible for promoting that every woman was really thin and beautiful. Nobody was normal.

They were campaigned against that they were just sexualising women and demeaning them all too often. They widely criticized for over glamorous pictures, air brushing or editing pictures to make the women look even better. All this was blamed on putting massive strain on young influencable girls leading to all sort of behavioural issues and illnesses trying to aspire to unobtainable levels.

Years later we are 10x worse than this and it's all hidden behind reality TV and managed social media accounts.

What's painted as reality is the most fake thing ever. All the influencers are paid and staged to have glamous lives. Everything they do is managed to sell and influence people.

Things like Love Island picks a bunch of people so removed from reality it's not true. There are no longer just airbrushed photos, they are walking surgically enhanced parodies.

It's not just their looks, it's the way they behave. That's not normal either. Half the situations are all set up, I'm sure a lot behave in a certain way in hope it grabs attention and many are just desperately insecure people desperate for fame.

The sad fact is people aspire to be these insecure, desperate, surgical enhanced fake reality stars. They have become role models. It really is sad reflection of modern life.

People feel like failures when they can't manage to live up to the people that influence them.
    These reality shows and fake managed social media accounts are a huge source for many of the modern problems.

What young people are being taught it real is as fake as *.

The whole toxic atmosphere it breeds is harmful too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Twisty likes this.