1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Welcome Liam . Havn'nt seen much of him hope he is good enough to challenge for a first team spot

2. Maestro 08

He or Montgomery will be first pick shortly. There's only so long Taylor can hold out for.

Artorias and martin_d like this.
  3. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just saw a YouTube clip of him doing an ex teammate, who allegedly shagged his bird, belter

Crilly and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Montgomery certainly looks a good prospect from what I have seen so far this season.

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Any of the Irish bhoys who have seen him, think he's ready to be first choice LB for us?

Usually good Irish talent is picked up earlier/younger..

How ready is he?

6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ready enough to be given a run of games, him and Monty will totally bomb out Taylor and Boli.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That was a concern I had initially as well JC, that he's got to 22/23 and not been snapped up by a club down south.

But turns out he was still at uni and playing for his uni club the season before last.

Realistically he's had one season at shamrock rovers and it seemingly has been impressive.

A late bloomer in some aspects, because he's been at the uni club through his late teens and early 20s.

Willing to give the lad a fair chance, just hope the clubs done the right scouting to know he is ready for first team football at left back at this club.
    Otherwise they've * it by not reinforcing that position

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Dublin Celt and JC Anton like this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    His height and pace will be most welcome at left back..

Had more interceptions than anyone in Scotland, albeit a lower level but still good..

Looks ok up the other end as well from the few clips I've seen..

Rydo1888*, JC Anton and Dan Breen like this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, mate..

Obviously got his head screwed on by finishing Uni etc..

Hope he can hit the ground running..

The bonus is Montgomery looks decent so far too.

Peej likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Liam Scales is delighted to have joined Celtic as the last-day flurry of action saw the young Irishman joined by the latest trio of Celts, Giorgos Giakoumakis from VVV-Venlo, Jota from Benfica and Cameron Carter-Vickers from Spurs to cap off a busy and fruitful transfer window for the club.

And after taking in the working conditions at Lennoxtown, he still can’t quite believe it’s all happening:

The 23-year-old said: “It’s the stuff of dreams for any Irish boy – it’s Celtic. It’s a top club and as a kid if you’re growing up in Ireland, and someone asked you as a 12 or 13-year-old, ‘Who do want to play for?’ it’s always been Celtic and whatever club you support.

“Obviously there’s the Irish connection and I have friends and family who are Celtic supporters so it’s a really proud moment.

“I played for my local team, Arklow Town up until I was about 16 and I moved to UCD where I developed. I was there for three years under Collie O’Neill, he was great for me and then I moved on to Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght

“I suppose I just kicked on and I won a league there with Rovers. It was an unbelievable 18 months for me as I developed an awful lot there and here I am.

“It’s been unbelievable so far – the facilities, the training ground, the people, it’s great and it’s great to be here finally and I’m just looking forward to getting to work and getting going now.

“Obviously there’s a new manager and loads of new players brought in so it’s a great time for Celtic and I’m just delighted to be a part of it. I can’t wait to kick on and try to get into the team – it’s a big season.”

He added: “Over the years I’ve played in plenty of positions. I suppose when I was younger I was a left-sided midfielder and I kind of dropped back. At UCD I played mainly as a centre-back and I played a bit of left-back there as well, and in my first season at Shamrock Rovers I played centre-back. But with injuries to players this season I was put out left and I did quite well.

“So I suppose I’m a versatile left-sided defender and I can play anywhere between the three positions – centre-back, left wing-back, left-back – as long as I’m playing, I’m happy.”

Scales will be even happier playing the style of football that Ange Postecoglou has introduced and he can’t wait to get started.

The Irishman said: “It’s high-intensity and they have a lot of possession with the full-backs coming inside to midfield. It’ll take some time to get used to the system but I’m already working on it now and I’ve been watching the games.

“It’s similar in a way to Shamrock Rovers as it’s a possession-based team, so I know I have the experience to go and fit right in.

'It’s a massive step up, I know that myself and I know I’m going to have to be on it to make that step, but I’m more than ready. I’m really happy to be here and to be able to show that I can do it at this level.'

“I know it’s a massive club with a massive fanbase, and a massive fanbase back home in Ireland so I just want to do my family proud, and do well.”

And back home in Ireland there a few people Scales would like to thank for getting him this far. He said: “Collie at UCD helped me a lot, he put a lot of faith in me as a young player. I played a lot there, I played a lot of senior games which a lot of young lads don’t really get the chance to do.

“So that helped me an awful lot, and obviously Stephen Bradley the manager at Shamrock Rovers, as well as Glenn Cronin and Stephen McPhail, they all helped me an awful lot to develop me as player and a person as well, so I owe them an awful lot.”

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    tarboltontim likes this.
  11. GavCFC1

Know it really means heehaw….but surprised he’s number 5, thought that would’ve been Carter-Vickers.

LB as 5 makes me as uneasy as Jullien at 2.

12. GavCFC1

Liam Scales is delighted to have joined Celtic as the last-day flurry of action saw the young Irishman joined by the latest trio of Celts, Giorgos Giakoumakis from VVV-Venlo, Jota from Benfica and Cameron Carter-Vickers from Spurs to cap off a busy and fruitful transfer window for the club.

And after taking in the working conditions at Lennoxtown, he still can’t quite believe it’s all happening:

The 23-year-old said: “It’s the stuff of dreams for any Irish boy – it’s Celtic. It’s a top club and as a kid if you’re growing up in Ireland, and someone asked you as a 12 or 13-year-old, ‘Who do want to play for?’ it’s always been Celtic and whatever club you support.

“Obviously there’s the Irish connection and I have friends and family who are Celtic supporters so it’s a really proud moment.

“I played for my local team, Arklow Town up until I was about 16 and I moved to UCD where I developed. I was there for three years under Collie O’Neill, he was great for me and then I moved on to Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght

“I suppose I just kicked on and I won a league there with Rovers. It was an unbelievable 18 months for me as I developed an awful lot there and here I am.

“It’s been unbelievable so far – the facilities, the training ground, the people, it’s great and it’s great to be here finally and I’m just looking forward to getting to work and getting going now.

“Obviously there’s a new manager and loads of new players brought in so it’s a great time for Celtic and I’m just delighted to be a part of it. I can’t wait to kick on and try to get into the team – it’s a big season.”

He added: “Over the years I’ve played in plenty of positions. I suppose when I was younger I was a left-sided midfielder and I kind of dropped back. At UCD I played mainly as a centre-back and I played a bit of left-back there as well, and in my first season at Shamrock Rovers I played centre-back. But with injuries to players this season I was put out left and I did quite well.

“So I suppose I’m a versatile left-sided defender and I can play anywhere between the three positions – centre-back, left wing-back, left-back – as long as I’m playing, I’m happy.”

Scales will be even happier playing the style of football that Ange Postecoglou has introduced and he can’t wait to get started.

The Irishman said: “It’s high-intensity and they have a lot of possession with the full-backs coming inside to midfield. It’ll take some time to get used to the system but I’m already working on it now and I’ve been watching the games.

“It’s similar in a way to Shamrock Rovers as it’s a possession-based team, so I know I have the experience to go and fit right in.

'It’s a massive step up, I know that myself and I know I’m going to have to be on it to make that step, but I’m more than ready. I’m really happy to be here and to be able to show that I can do it at this level.'

“I know it’s a massive club with a massive fanbase, and a massive fanbase back home in Ireland so I just want to do my family proud, and do well.”

And back home in Ireland there a few people Scales would like to thank for getting him this far. He said: “Collie at UCD helped me a lot, he put a lot of faith in me as a young player. I played a lot there, I played a lot of senior games which a lot of young lads don’t really get the chance to do.

“So that helped me an awful lot, and obviously Stephen Bradley the manager at Shamrock Rovers, as well as Glenn Cronin and Stephen McPhail, they all helped me an awful lot to develop me as player and a person as well, so I owe them an awful lot.”

13. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    A loan signing shouldn’t be getting number 5. It wouldn’t feel right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Hoping to be surprised by him, very little fanfare around his signing but the Irish lads that watch LOI regularly all seem to think he’ll be a player for us.

Artorias, Dan Breen and eire4 like this.
  15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We probably have the worst player numbers about lol

Striker number 8, centre-half number 2, left-back number 5 plus we have allsorts of * with high numbers from the youth team, even our #1 is our 3rd choice keeper.

Slaw likes this.
  16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I am in your boat on this one. I hope to be surprised but I am not expecting anything other then a squad player.

martin_d likes this.
  17. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Jersey numbers unorthodox af just now: Kyogo no.8 still weirds me out.

18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Finally got that left sided centre back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Has anyone ever won the signed top or know anyone that has? I think it's a Celtic pr stunt entered about 40 of the * never met anyone that's won one lol

20. JamesM09

It's like the paradise windfall, it's always Aiden/Connor/Declan from Cumbernauld.

Always.

Noskeil likes this.