1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. john2061

Before stein arrived at the club the directors picked the side and the way things are going at the club it won't be long before they are doing it again as we have seen they are buying players without the manager's knowledge .

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    The 10 minutes he had on the pitch for us he showed real determination, speed and a bit of skill. What to * do some posters expect from a highly rated player who had a few decent clubs watching him and hasn’t been given any further time because our manager thinks he needs to get up to speed. * doom mongers in here too often. :48: (* talking emoji)

3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

scouts watch loads of players doesnt mean the players make it in football, we have been * at left back this season and this guy was talked of so highly was fit and playing for his club in european games had a preseason but cant get into our side whilst we have been pish at left back, its odd ! no wonder people are speculating hes not good enough

im just as baffled by bolingoli being frozen out again, is that anges decision ? the players decision ? or the clubs decision that he isnt to be picked ?

anges looking like an unsupported manager to me

mayo likes this.
  4. JamesM09

I reckon when Lennon was here there was pressure to play certain players to put them in the shop window.

IIRC he said something along the lines that he had a video call with Desmond and Lawwell twice a week and they would give him ‘advice’.

You could see how easy it would be to suggest if, for example, Ntcham was sold they could get a few players in and if Ntcham played, he might be sold a bit quicker.

Just subtle pressures and suggestions to shop window certain players..

5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Bolingoli was frozen out and all of a sudden was put straight back in the team ahead of Ralston after being 3rd choice. After Ralston was given rave reviews for his start. From what I see Ange is still rotating the squad and anybody who wants to put the boot into Scales is being short sighted, impatient, lacking faith in the manager and unreasonable. The lad has been here two minutes ffs.

Hammy89, Sean Daleer and JC Anton like this.
  6. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

yeah maybe i and others are some or all of those things but we have struggled at times and we sign liam late august, give him some minutes against raith on 23 sept and then never see him again at a time when the first team squad is under huge pressure and players are getting played too much, i guess liam is just not up to the standard yet even if the standard is low or he isnt as good as monty at playing anges system

7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Postecoglu said he needed time. The Raith game was irrelevant to the subsequent games. Raith was just too easy an opportunity to get his debut out of the way. When he went from UCD to rovers he took time to establish himself from that jump before he became their best player. Two extremes here really I e don't disregard him but don't expect a frimpong type near immediate break through either. Celtic and senior international football both very new to the guy. I fancy him to make his international debut on Tuesday.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

thailandceltic likes this.
  8. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    This 100%.. The vast majority writing him off have probably never even seen the lad play..

It might work out it might not but * * let's see him play for Celtic first before the obituaries are written..

9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Didn't make squad for tonight. Better off being in lennoxtown the last week

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Look at Kyogo’s cameo against Hearts :56:

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    My original concern was that this was simply a DD signing with people high up at Celtic making player signings that make no sense and have no place in doing so.
    DD has a hand in both clubs, Irish connection, a weird age that he hadn't been snapped up by an English club by 22, seemed all to "lazy" for my liking.

I then read up on the lad a bit more about the lad and corrected myself. His age isn't an issue when you realise he was doing his studies the last few years and only really had 18months of "breaking" out in the Irish league. So maybe we had used the DD link to snap up a player that truly had just slipped through the usual English clubs scouting, the ones who would normally have signed up an Irish player at 18 if they had anything going for them.

He than takes the number 5 shirt, which makes you think the manager and "coaches" have some faith in his ability and perhaps the manager did have a say/an eye for the lad.

But now? * knows, I am back to the original thought. How the * has Boli made a surprise inclusion a few times now ahead of Scales getting any meaningful game time? The lads been off with Ireland already, would signal he is at least fit enough to be considered for game time, yet he isn't seeing any.

I am back to assuming this is another lazy board signing and for me, unless he suddenly gets a run of games and surprises us all, it's going to be another positon (LB) that badly needs sorted, again.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

In all seriousness, it's becoming a little bit ridiculous now. He's been here nearly two months and all he's played is about 20/30 minutes against a Championship team.

I get that he needs to adapt etc, but if he's still not deemed ready to get any minutes against a rotten Motherwell side when we're 2 up and cruising, it's a bit of a concern.

mayo and Peej like this.
  13. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

There's also the point that Scales himself said he's considers himself a CB first - as confirmed his interview after signing. We all thought he was a LB only for him to tell us he's a CB that can play at LB (I'm sure he said that last season was the first he played there).

Could be we're making up our minds what we want from him? It's odd either way.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, seems weird he isn't getting much of a sniff. We excuse all of what I said above, is this then just another signing that isn't remotely ready to play? How often do we see that happen with the club as well (if we pretend the other concerns aren't real at all).

"I suppose I love playing centre-back and that's probably my most natural position.

"But after being thrown out left wing-back at Shamrock Rovers for injuries, and I've played there for Ireland Under-21s and at club level, I think I can do both equally as well.

"I'm more naturally a centre-half but I've adapted to do both."

Yeah would seem to be naturally a CB, but he isn't shy to say he can play equally well at both. Either way, Boli has jumped ahead of him and he isn't getting a sniff in at CB at all. Starfelt is slowly not being a bombscare, at the same time Julien is slowly coming back to first team training. Add in CCV and Welsh - Scales would have no chance and I can't see why we would have signed him as a CB at the same time as CCV was being brought in.

Screams of a Board signing. Which we all know happens.
    Guess I am just letting my frustration out again, on unfortunately another Celtic signing that a Celtic manager doesn't look to have wanted.

Fontaine likes this.
  15. JamesM09

He's just unfortunate to arrive at the club while we have the likes of Bolingoli and Starfelt in his positions. Any other time in our history he walks into the team.

mayo and Twisty like this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    And they say sarcasm can't be felt within text! :56:

JamesM09 likes this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Think he has been unlucky in so far as being trice hauled away needlessly by ROI.
    And now it looks like Boli is going to be given a run to try and revive his Celtic career.
    Just cannot ever see him getting a run at center half, especially with big CJ coming back and Welsh also ahead of him.
    Maybe a loan to a half decent SPL side may well be best for him.

18. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Why did we sign a lb when the manager already fancies 3 in that position over him.

19. oh bhoy

shamrock rovers needed some money what else could desmond do

RockhardBoss likes this.
  20. RockhardBoss

martin_d likes this.