1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Liam Moore

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Henrik 07, Nov 14, 2017.

Discuss Liam Moore in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Iv watched him quite a few times now, he is a very good player and is a threat in the air, scored 3-4 goals this year and could of had more, he is a modern centre back, still has areas he could improve in but with Rodgers in charge we all know that he could reach his potential. 5 mil is a big amount of money for us, but he is 24 so give it three years at us and we could shift him on for at least treble that. I would take a punt.

2. ReadingFan

Reading fan here, thought I’d give an insight into Liam Moore.

Liam Moore is widely regarded as one of Reading’s best centre back in years. He is quick, strong, confident on the ball and remains to be a very important player in Stam’s side. Bid that £5m and we’ll laugh at you, he won’t go that cheaply unless he forces a move. We are also rich, we were taken over in May so there’s no financial pressure to sell him, he also has 3 1/2 years left on his deal.

European football may tempt him as he won’t ever be a world class centre back, but he could easily get first team football for a premier league side, where that would boost his hopes of playing for his country. As 50/50 as you can get.

3. Mince.Charming

I stay next door to his gran in tarfside flats and got chating to her the other day .she was saying he has his heart set on a move to us. Supposidly supported us as a kid and said he has a 5 million buy out clause which will be activated this summer if you don't get promoted..

4. Jeremie Frimpong

Out of interest, what would you consider to be a fair price for him?

We bought Virgil van Dijk for £3m, and he’d start for any, or almost any, team on the planet. (I appreciate that your club is relatively well-off and can therefore turn down offers that clubs in smaller countries can’t.)

There’s no way we’ll spend £5m+ on a run-of-the-mill player. There’re dozens of good centre-halves on the continent and elsewhere for less - considerably less in some cases. (Akanji at Basel or Benković at Dinamo Zagreb might even be available for around that price.)

The English market is ludicrous - particularly where English players are concerned (£30m for Michael Keane?) - so I’d rather we avoided it.

He might be a good player, and he might be worth £30m to a Premier League club that won’t entertain signing a player from an unfashionable side, but he is not worth that to Celtic.

Virgil van Dijk moved from Groningen to Celtic for £3m; he moved from Celtic to Southampton for £15m+; he could move from Southampton to Liverpool for £70m+. You have to wonder why Liverpool didn’t just pay Groningen £3m for him or Celtic £15m for him, when his ability to play at the very highest level was evident to anyone who saw him play, even then. I guess the simple answer is that they can afford to wait until a player reaches his peak; we can’t. If Moore is a well-regarded Championship player, it might be too late for us to close a deal that makes financial sense for both clubs.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    ChrisMoh, Tommy25 and CrSBhoy like this.
  5. ReadingFan

Take inflation into account and the length of his deal, I’d say around the £10m mark, which is totally out of your price range unless you make a high profile sale, as you say the English market is totally bonkers at this point. Reading used to have a similar approach to young players as you do, we brought Moore for £1m, Swift on a free transfer and George Evans on a free too, I’d say we could easily make £20m+ on them if we wanted to sell them but now our financial position means we can spend as much money as we want, so we can now afford to pay those inflated prices for championship players, represented by the fact we bought Sone Aluko for £7.5m in fees and signed championship rejects in Leandro Bacuna, Jon dadi Bodvarsson, Dave Edwards and Vito Mannone for a total of £9m. It’s scary to think how much first team regulars from those teams would cost.

I think Liam Moore isn’t yet premier league quality so I question whoever would genuinely spend around £10m on him but that’s just the way football’s gone. Unfortunately in the English game when you’re in the premier league you spend each season being too good to go down but being unable to compete with Liverpool etc who seem quite happy to bully the lesser sides into selling their players which I think is very wrong, when they buy those players ahead of trying to promote a youth player, it’s no wonder Chelsea have ruined so many careers. Michael Keane is bang average and I have no idea why Everton spent £30m on him, it’s no wonder you’re demanding high transfer fees for your star players yourself, especially considering Scottish football doesn’t generate near enough money to compete.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Did ye aye

Mince.Charming likes this.
  7. Ak1

Currently on sky for Reading vs Cardiff.

Doesn't look a £5m player to me. Paul McShane currently looking better alongside him tbh
    Hasn't won a single header, and is way off with his time of his jumps.

Might be better off signing the African defender who scored against us for Hibs yesterday??

8. Ak1

Tyler Blackett on bench for Reading.
    How * was he in hoops?

9. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Did realise Ex Celt Omar Bogle plays for cardiff

10. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Reading just bottled a 2-0 lead in the last 8 minutes of the game.

Aye i dont think this guys the answer.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Doesn't look anything special at all in my opinion..

Omar Bogle is hilariously bad and Callum Paterson was new levels of pishness..

12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Seems rated by Reading fans. Don’t know much about him myself.

14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Handed in a transfer request, looks like Brighton are interested wonder if he’s still on Rodgers radar.

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Looking for around £10m for him doubt it mate

16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Never saw that bit, * mental money.

17. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye crazy down there is Waghorn is going for £8m - moussa and Eddie must be worth £30m each!

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Got my hopes up when this was bumped.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  19. rickyroma25

I don't watch English football really so I've never laid eyes on him. I was hoping something would transpire with Papadopoulos at Hamburg, but if this guy's good enough, get him in. I just want this defence sorted.

20. rickyroma25

aww * is this old.