1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lewis Morgan

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jan 5, 2018.

Discuss Lewis Morgan in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He wasn't making any runs in behind, maybe the service wasn't there but he didn't seem to give that option.
    Even Aberdeen played in behind them in the second half, that's what we should've been doing .
    Whether that was Morgan's fault or the ball players but probably a bit of both

2. david100825

He’s not a centre forward so cutting him slack. Does need to work on being able to hold the ball better when it’s in to feet, though.

Rydo1888* and Dan Breen like this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He was never going to challenge Helander or Goldson in the air. He is used to running at players, not playing with his back to goal on his own. We simply not sustain possession in their half for long enough to get player up to support him. It was a thankless task.

Mickmac likes this.
  4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    They 2 donkeys must have been boned up when they saw Morgan was our striker. Just so unfair on the lad to be asked to lead the line. Hope he plays on right wing mid week.

freederry20 likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not a striker so not going to be too harsh on him, but the performances of Elyounoussi and Forrest didn’t help him at all, even given his own shortcomings.

Rydo1888* and Mickmac like this.
  6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He wasn’t up to anything on Sunday and we all kinda knew that when we saw the team lines.

Not gonna slate him as he’s not a striker and couldn’t even get in the team for about 20 games prior to Rennes.

I think he can be a decent player but don’t think he ever will make it here. Hopefully proves me wrong.

7. Cringer67

He should refuse to play striker for the good of his career. He ain’t one in million years and all Its doing is turning the entire support against the poor lad. I do blame Lennon for this. We can never write anyone off after what happened to Christie and Ajer on loan so he should be loaned out at a club where he can play In His natural position, flourish , hopefully progress and then we can take it from there

8. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I got the fear when i saw the team and so it panned out!! These * just swallowed him up and it kept coming back at us!! There was no out ball and that coupled with an clearly unfit Ely they swamped us. Due to that it's hard for me to criticise any of our mid to forward guys. It was Lenny's shout and i'm not blaming Morgan at all. He'd done ok recently but this was a completely different kind of beast, literally!! They won't get so lucky again, i'm sure of it. The difference with Eddy even with 10 men was quite stark tbh!!

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The same happened when he played Mickey Johnston up front at Ibrox. As great as the win was, what worries me is that its the third time in recent seasons when we havnt managed to turn up vs them.
    I also looked at our midfield of Brown and McGregor and felt that we were being badly overpowered.

The only reason NL could have for starting Morgan ahead of Griffiths was LMs recent form, but even at that he didnt look comfortable up front vs Ross County and it was never going ti work against a team who can have a go at us and pin us in for periods.

i dont want to see us going into games devoid of options in attack. The situation shouldnt have been allowed to go on this long at a club like ours.

10. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If ever a Celtic player refuses to play in any position, he should be fired, publicly outed and told to get to *. It’s not the Lewis Morgan show.

He did well in a couple of games, but I don’t think he’ll ever be good enough to be a regular here - certainly not as a striker.

Whoflungdung and Liam Scales like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That was BR that started Mikey upfront at Ibrox

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    yeah mate and it was a similar situation and a similar type of player. It now reinforces that we need a striker who offers a focal point and some kind of physical presence when playing them.

But Lennon was also culpable when we put in a terrible celtic performance at Ibrox too.

13. Cringer67

A fair comment, i was being dramatic but my point still stands. I'm also not sure where all these ''he did well in a couple of games'' are coming from. I must have been watching different games. Even the game he scored against Rennes in, he did absolutely nothing the whole game apart from that nice finish. In the other games, especially on Sunday, he was effectively as good as a man down. Throwing him in as striker over this period, when we are after 9IAR is bordering on gross negligence. No one can deny we have been lucky so far but it has to stop now. Can you imagine the carnage that would have ensued had we dropped points to hamilton and lost the cup to the huns? Could we really complain when we had Lewis Morgan leading the line?

14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Aye with league in the bag!! Now I'm not saying any game against them is meaningless but from a silverware point of view it was.
    People also can't throw up that * using Mikey either because it was not Lenny's mistake to learn from and it was also a different player.

I love our manager. He's been up against it from some quarters from day 1, after securing the treble and now after securing the first cup of the season. He's not perfect a la Cluj in CL and Sunday but he's been not far from it!! We got caught out by Cluj and dodged one on Sunday. I think it's the tone of people's criticism that riles me not the criticism itself as it's pretty thinly veiled from some people.

Ps- and I think we'll destroy them in 2 weeks with more fit players back which was the obvious cause of Sunday.

Mickmac and tarboltontim like this.
  15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    so the cup wasnt in the bag on Sunday, so why did we completely fail to turn up again?

The mikey Johnston situation is directly comparable, albeit under different managers, and the outcome was almost exactly the same. The point is we shouldnt be going into these games so ill prepared or so poorly set out in the tactical sense.
    Isolated, cut out, out muscled, unable to get the service, couldnt get running at them facing goal. He is a natural wide player, best with the ball at his feet and running at players. Not in a month of sundays are either a realistic option at centre forward in a big game.
    you are trying to make out like Lennons loss doesnt count because the league was won. We still played to win and fell badly short so the critique stands.

Iv supported Lennon also and I can see what he brings to a team and how he makes them hard to beat. Check my old posts if you dont believe me. But that doesnt mean he is exempt from criticism and that he can get it wrong tactically. My opinion is on a case by case basis.

16. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    What we really need are strikers who stay fit. We've got 3 for 1 position. If we get more how do we keep them all happy when fit.

Dan Breen and jocksteinupper like this.
  17. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Listen, you've got some valid points mate but some not so imo.

I don't think it was comparable for various reasons some of which i've stated. Calmac against Cluj and the December game against them i would agree with. Not so much Sunday and the dead rubber (it there ever is one) against them when Mikey played up top.

And, for the record, it's absolutely your right to question it and give critique. I did myself after Cluj as i wasn't happy then at all.

And as we both know this is down to personnel. In other words it become glaringly obvious we need at least one other striker in January regardless of the Griff situation. We just can't take the risk. Some were saying before the end of the last window but it's vital now. At that stage we weren't sure of the Griff situation and what Bayo was bringing. He may have pushed for one at the time but got told we had 3 when in reality one wasn't even bought by him and the other was still coming off long term ill.

What's become clear is priorities have changed.

18. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    that's a good point actually!!

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Feel like you are stating the obvious and not really grasping the bigger point here.
    Strikers who cant stay fit and are unreliable, need to be moved on. Bayo hasnt looked like ever cementing a place in the team and again, Griffiths has now missed a season and a half of football.
    We are in a title race and we are in the next round of the europa league. We need to get real.

20. Seosamh Máirtín

We also need to prepare for the eventuality that Eddie will leave sometime next year, be it in January or the summer. It is inevitable. Griffiths and Bayo can settle. They've not earned the right to command a place. 2 new strikers in for me...

Morgan needs loaned/sold