1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    I can guarantee you this. At no point have I said I want him away. I already posted that a 1 goal every 2 games striker is priceless. Leigh has been through a tough time, mental health affects far too many people, but if he's struggling then fair enough but he needs to be replaced because, and this sounds harsh but, we need to carry on regardless. We can't just say we will wait on Leigh sorting himself out. That happened in December 2018 under Rodgers and Leigh only really seemed right in January 2020 over 13 months or so. I have already said if anything happens to Eddie, and pre season is a time for hamstring, calf muscles injuries, we would be in * Street. Can you honestly say we could get 10 in a row with 2 untried strikers.

2. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    No, that's the way you choose to slice it.

My head has definitely not been in the game at work since lockdown, but I don't think that should undo all the good work I've done hitherto.

He's had well-documented mental health problems, which have doubtless only been exacerbated by lockdown.

These are unprecedented times and we'd all be better served by being a little bit more compassionate towards each other.

Seán Mac D, celtic#1, JML67 and 7 others like this.
  3. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    In the same post you just said " at no point have I ever wan him away" then said he needs to be replaced?? You're all over the place

Spring Time likes this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You keep repeating yourself and cementing the point I made about your ignorance.

Unlike in here, I can’t have a back and forth interaction with Chris Sutton, so I won’t be messaging him.

5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Groundhog Day.

Rydo1888*, JML67, MacEwan and 6 others like this.
  6. seanm

unless griff has a niggling injury he should have been close to match fitness. if no injury then somethings wrong. celtic would have been helping griff more through this lockdown too. could be a few things. but the wee man gives 100% and on his day is as good as anyone imo.HH

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think we may have started the season with two up front, if Griff had come back looking sharp at least, given how good they seemed to combine up top last season.

I honesty don’t expect to see him for most of August which is less than ideal. For me, although he can be a useful impact sub, he plays his best football when he’s getting a run in the team. Pre-season would’ve been ideal for that but reckon he’ll find it tough getting those opportunities again if we start the season as we all hope we do.

Scott smyth and cidermaster like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Your clown mate you choose to pull statistics from the following seasons since he got his 40 goals in a season okay and im saying Brendan Rodgers refused to play 2 upfront everyone knows it and you are sitting comparing him to two different players who are more versatile in a positional sense and had more chance of starts because their was more starting berths in the central midfield at the time the season under lennon he gets his pass as he had mental health issues. becoming tiresome now can all see exactly what the * you are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEwan, Marty McFly and Sean Daleer like this.
  9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You're wasting your time mate. This is just a merry-go-round now and we are getting nowhere.

We're dealing with posts that say "mental health issue aside", which turns out to be a smokescreen, of course, as the very next sentence reads "he's wasted over 2 seasons of his career due to his issues"

littlekennie and MacEwan like this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

After a good think, I hope this latest paper abuse, fans turning on him (me included) will fire him up with that * you attitude and he will smash goals in. Some people just need something extra to push them. If hes not showing anything by christmas then I'll stick to my first comment of replacement time.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT BROWN has challenged Leigh Griffiths to graft his way back into the Celtic squad.

Griff has been bombed out of Neil Lennon’s group after returning from lockdown out of shape.

He’s training on his own at Lennoxtown, while his team-mates are here in France for three friendlies.

But skipper Broony insists Griffiths can get his Hoops career going again.

He said: “Everyone that’s here has worked extremely hard on their fitness and Leigh needs to make sure he does that as well.

“We all know how good he is and how good a left foot he has.

It’s up to him to get up to speed as quickly as he can. You saw him last season. He came back and we changed to 3-5-2.

“I think it really helped Leigh playing alongside Odsonne Edouard as well.

Odsonne is in prime position right now, but you never know what could happen down the line, and if we play that style again.

tarboltontim likes this.
  12. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Tbh mate If any teams star striker gets injured it’s a major blow, it depends a lot on the 2 untried strikers, whether and how they step up to the plate or not- not really had a chance yet- a can remember when Griff was the main man and he got injured just before the first sevco game of the 16/17 season, dembele went straight in he had scored a penalty v Astana and one against Alloa in the league cup but I’ll be honest didn’t know much about him and thought he looked a bit cumbersome On what I’d seen ,

best thing that ever happened scored the perfect hat trick and absolutely destroyed the Huns and became a fans favourite, you say you listen to Lennon and he’s saying klimala looking good so hopefully he can step up this season when needed- agree though bringing in Guys like Lewis Morgan as a striker, Lennon did so many things wisely last season but playing Lewis Morgan wasn’t one of them

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Clearest comments from Broony there that he’s not pulling his weight, for whatever reason.

Be a massive shame if a stellar Celtic career were to fizzle out now, he needs to get up to speed as soon as he possibly can.

Scott smyth, Maestro 08 and The_Bhoy like this.
  14. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yes mate I realise that if your main striker goes out it's a problem. But it's the thought Leigh knows his importance and what this season means but came back unfit enough to go away to the tournament. It just means that all his hard work around January has gone to waste

15. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The only clown is yourself being kidded by a player. Rodgers has been away 18 months nearly and Griffiths only became fit, mentally or otherwise in January this year. I posted stars on 2 key players in the team, because I was implying that Leigh is the of the same importance, to show what's required from a KEY player. Not playing half the games available is no good to the team nor the player himself. He's 29 years old now and he's at the supposed peak as a player yet he's hardly played half the games since his 40 goal season. Some players peak early 20s then disappear, some a bit later but Leighs peak years seem a long time ago. You can use any excuse for him u want but even today Brown seemed to infer that he's not pulling his weight. And if it was a mental issue I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned something to that thing

16. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    So a former pro more or less says the same thing about Leigh but you still insist alls good with him. Aye OK batter on. Brown has came out and also questioned the player today so can we just accept that he's came back in poor PHYSICAL condition and stop trying to make up excuses for the player

17. Ryanmcg84

There is not a chance in * that the noises coming from the club and the captain would be coming out if there was even the slightest hint that any of this was due to mental health. He's always been a * trainer. Every manager he's played under here has had a problem with his attitude to training

King of Kings likes this.
  18. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    What a lot of *. I said I don't want rid of him because he's a very good player. But he can't be trusted to do what it takes to be a 1st choice pick so we need to get get someone that will. Why is that so hard to understand.

19. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I already said that I appreciate that some players aren't the best at training. But preseason is, and most professionals will tell you, is where you need to do the hard yards to stand you in a good place. Not only is that going to hold him back, but if any of Bayo or Klimayla play we'll he could find his place in the team disappearing. And at his age sitting on the bench will be of no good at all

20. Ryanmcg84

And its a certainty that of Klimala does take the opportunity Griffiths has given him the petter lip will be out and there will be yet more attention seeking posts on Instagram.

Scott smyth likes this.