1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Still not sure about this lingo 'game time' 'match fit' etc.

Griff can do things after eating a tea cake no other players can imagine. What is happening right now we literally don't know. What we do know is he can do things overweight and maybe doesn't fit into this ideal of a chest hugging football shirt. We have to remember this.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s your ignorance and unwillingness to accept that footballers are humans with problems too. You are one of these * that think because they have money, they have no right to be affected by anything.

This isn’t speculation, Leigh and the club have been open about his mental health struggles. There doesn’t come a point where you go “right enough now you’ve got to sort yourself out or you’ll not play again”. Who gives a *, if Leigh never plays another game of football, but is mentally in a better place, then I’m over the * moon for him.

This isn’t Kris Commons who was just a fat *. There’s obviously something more to this. You’ve been speculating based on what you’ve read in the papers, you and them don’t have a clue. For all we know Leigh’s apparent lack of “fitness” is his mental health. We don’t know. We don’t know what’s happened during lockdown. The players were on a strict regime, so if he’s not followed that I think it would be obvious. No amount of time on an exercise bike is going to have you match fit after 3 months.

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Commons was excellent

The_Bhoy likes this.
  4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Yer teams deed, beat it.

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Need to weigh up the pros and cons.

Griffiths shouldnt have returned as out of shape as he has (if reports are to be believed) but on the same hand when fit he is a 20+ goal a season striker and we have paid more for players like Klimala, Balde, Bayo etc who have given us so little in contrast.

Damien Duff even stated he is one of the best finishers he has seen which is a huge compliment.

Theres no guarantee a replacement will give as much as Griffiths does and if theres one person who can get the best out of him its NL.

On his day he is the second best striker in Scotland. I wouldnt sell.

seanm, The_Bhoy and Lilac Wine like this.
  6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I love the pro and the con dilemma, cause Griff is both for any defence.

7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Now he's a *

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Tbf, Edouard will be starting anyway, and it’s Hamilton. Wouldn’t be much of an issue bringing him on as a sub.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Refusing to acknowledge that brown and McGregor are more versatile than Griffiths positional wise and the formation majority last two seasons and under Brendans tenure we went with one upfront ..... deliberately ignoring those facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty McFly likes this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    For Griff there should be every incentive to get himself fit to compete with Klimala and Bayo for that second striker position.

I would've thought the club would've given the players a fitness regime to follow over the lockdown ?

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'd go back about 5/6 pages and start reading from there as this was discussed once or twice.

Having read it myself I'd not expect to get much more details on it but might save you some time.

Spring Time and JML67 like this.
  12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    They did , he just obviously slipped some degree behind

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

degrees as well, no wonder he went lite on the fitness regime.

14. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    What a lot of rubbish about being versatile. If Griff had been fit, playing well and available , mental health issue aside, he would have forced the manager into the 352 earlier than February this year. If you can't see he's wasted over 2 seasons of his career due to his issues then I give in. It's all about his age, experience and his ability. At his age 29 he should be at the peak of fitness , ability and experience. He should be a vital 1st team player not wasting it training with the youth players etc. As I have said plenty times I like the guy as a player but it makes me mad, as did others that wasted talent over the years, that he's not applying himself to the level required

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  15. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    From what I've read each player had a nutrinal and fitness program sent to them. The also had the GPS system to do the fitness stats to the Fitness team. They didnt just get left to it. Put it like this they will have known he wasn't doing the work and people are missing this. Pretty sure Callum McGregor spoke about this along with Ryan Christie. All the clubs use these GPS bibs they wear for the stats etc

16. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Scott Smith= Super Leigh Griffiths CSC??

littlekennie likes this.
  17. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Firstly I'm not a * as you politely like to say, so go and take a run up my shiter. Secondly I don't think because they earn big money the don't get affected by mental health issues. I have managed a colleague with issues a few years back so don't give me that * utter * you won't meet a more understanding person for those type of things . You don't even have a clue who I am and what I did for a living. As for speculating, maybe go onto Instagram and have a go at say Chris Sutton who's had more or less the same opinion as I have . As a matter of fact he said that in his day his team mates would be raging, so take what you like from that. Another thing EVERYBODY eventually becomes either a liability or distraction. Guys like Watt, training was deplorable, and Stokes, well he's was just mental full stop, were cut lose. Was it because of on field ability, no, because they were causing either too much hassle or not doing their job properly. You seem very desperate to find another reason for him being left behind whereas I have commented, as others have, I am disappointed that a senior pro at the club going for 10 in a row and a massive season has came back unfit and unable to go on pre season tour and valuable game time

ddub11 likes this.
  18. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cant even spell so you've no chance ffs

19. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Anyone that wants rid of a guaranteed goalscorer needs their heads felt. Lennys had a word with him, ask anyone, Lenny is a man manager, motivational, and been through a * of a lot of *. He won't just * dump him and sell him. Lenny will sort him out. He's going nowhere. Loan to Hibs ffs

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Whichever way you slice it turning up unfit after the extended break is a poor show for an professional footballer.