1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ok.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye those quotes don't really make sense.

If it's nothing to do with fitness, then starting with Lewis Morgan over a fit Griffiths is madness.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  3. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Surely it's a mental thing with him if his fitness wasn't the reason?

Lenny did say he'll get game time in the next few weeks, so let's hope Griff can get his sharpness back because on his game he's as good as anyone.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Should be first name on the team sheet for Thursday night. Perfect opportunity to get 90 minutes in his legs against decent opposition.

eire4, Rydo1888*, stew37 and 3 others like this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The fitness thing doesn't make sense when we're starting Mo who could barely move and bringing on Eddy who was miles off being fit and can't really remember him sprinting..

Morcombe likes this.
  6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Makes sense to me.

Morgan had started the last few games, has been sharp and a lot of energy, obviously not a natural 9 but has played a lot more football than Leigh of late, I can't imagine it was an easy decision.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Absolutely bang on.

8. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The thinking would have been. Eddie able to play from the start Griffiths would have been on the bench with the option to come on. With Eddie only able to play a bit part in the game & Griffith not ready to play a chunk of the game against them. Morgan got the nod with Eddie on the bench so Griffith lost out. Lennon has already said Griffith will play a part against Cluj.

Dan Breen and CookieMonster like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Mate all of us knew they'd deal with Morgan easily when we saw it was him leading the line. Isn't quick. Isn't big. Isn't strong and most importantly....is never a striker..

I hope that's the very last of that wee experiment..

Tim-Time 1888, CH4 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  10. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    If Edouard isnt fit then Griffiths has to be starting from now on, Morgan does not scare defenders, he cant hold the ball up well, he cant win high balls and set up other players, he is no good as a striker.
    The opposition defenders have nothing to worry about when he's up front and treat us like we have 10 men on the park.
    either get Griffiths on the field or replace him in January. and Bayo too for that matter, if we're not using Griffiths then we need two strikers cause Bayo's not gonna be good enough either by the looks of it.

11. StevieBhoooy!

So do I ..., but I’m not confident that it is...

Dan Breen likes this.
  12. Maestro 08

Lennon is contradicting himself a wee bit there for me. Reading between the lines I don't think it's as cut and dried as he's making out. I think there's more to it.

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Totally agree perfect game to get him back into the starting lineup and get his match sharpness up to speed. Thought he did well when he came on against Hamilton in midweek. Just needs game time hopefully and Thursday is the perfect time for that.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    either get Griffiths on the field or replace him in January. and Bayo too for that matter, if we're not using Griffiths then we need two strikers cause Bayo's not gonna be good enough either by the looks of it.[/QUOTE]
    Would like to see Bayo get a chance, liked what little have seen of him-was good against Diets and Partick in the cup.

15. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Bayo ... that's one quick judgement you made there!
    You haven't seen enough of him yet to make that call.

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bayo is recovering from injury.

17. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I dont agree with anyone shouting to punt Griffiths in January if he doesnt hurry up and get fit. Its almost 100% guaranteed that it would come back to bite us in the *. He is a natural goal scorer and we just need to bide our time and he'll be back. I think its quite clear to everyone that the problem is more mental rather than physical. But we owe it to him to give him a bit more time.

As far as the striker situation goes. We do need at least 3 top notch strikers fit and able to play in order to compete in Europe and smash this 9 in a row domestically.

Lawell will have to go out in January and sign another top class striker from a big club like he did when he brought in Edouard to battle for places with Griffiths and Dembelle. Another one of those is needed. One that will step into Edouard's shoes cause I think everyone knows he'll go in the summer. We need a player of that quality ready in the squad to fill his shoes exactly like we needed Eddy to fill Dembelle's shoes if you know what I mean

18. Cerand Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott McDonald
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Way
    What`s your thoughts on the big Australian Livingston player who gave Jullien a torrid time recently ? A big physical striker in the mould of Eddie, and would come reasonably priced.

hiphopaddict likes this.
  19. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

The guy had a good game against us...definitely. But we need to be looking more up market than that if we're talking about realistically competing in Europe. If your top 3 strikers consists of someone you've picked up from Livingston and then we need to resort to the guy in a big game then the fans will start asking questions.

Lawell will just do his usual I think. Pick up a good young striker from Man City or PSG (One of the big clubs with a massive squad). Then bring him here with a view to selling him on for profit in 2/3 years time. Its not a policy that I particularly like I have to say. But it certainly keeps the club ticking over well financially.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  20. cammy07

In what sense is he in the mould of edouard? One is a supremely talented French U21 regular, the other is a clogger who has more joy out of kicking opponents than he does anything else.

He'd be reasonably priced for a reason, that being cause he's utter muck who wouldn't even get on the bench for the reserves.

packybhoy likes this.