1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    No chance, Lenny's team was built around Hoopers ability to drop deep and pick up the ball, hold it in and bring others into play.

2. murphy88

It certainly doesn't hurt to be a more intelligent footballer, or have a better all round game does it? He is also a far more clinical striker than Griffiths. Griffiths probably has a better work rate, but it's not as if Hooper was a lazy player. He could also bring others into play far better than Griffiths. If Griffiths left tomorrow, I think we could replace him relatively easy. Hooper has been gone for a few year now, and we still haven't found a suitable replacement.

3. Sonny7

Thats Deila's team:smiley-laughing002:

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I know he has some strike but how often does he try and let fly when the angle is never on and the defender is right in front of the ball, only for it to cannon straight off one of the big diddies who've seen it coming a mile off..

5. Sonny7

See a don't think Hooper was as good as you think he was, so a think we have replaced him comfortably in Griffiths. A wouldn't want Hooper back as I've stated in the Hooper thread many times. Simply because there not much difference between him and Thumb. And a want better than both..

Someone once stated on here Hooper is as good a striker Celtic are going to get. * me a hope to * that ain't true:56:

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Deila's team doesn't have that. If there was no Hooper in Lenny's then we didn't have it then either. It's why once he left the team got built around Commons instead.

7. Sonny7

Need a * mate will reply in great thought when I'm done:50:

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    :56:

I'll have the ambulance on stand by mate.

9. murphy88

We haven't replaced Hooper. With the market we shop in, we will do well to get a striker better than Hooper in my opinion. I would love to have someone as good as him with us just now, because we lack a striker of his quality.

10. Dion Telfer

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Anyone that says Leigh is in the same bracket as a 2010-2012 Hooper hasn't a baldy. Cut the revisionism.

11. z1c0

Hooper was immense there should be no debate about how good he was, for us he was our best striker since Larsson he was incredibly underrated.

Griffiths well, he missed a fair few good chances yesterday and if this was Cifcti he would be getting slaughtered. I was inclined to starting Griffiths before yesterdays game however Cifcti really does feel like the right choice and I'd go with him.

12. Sonny7

Sutton and Hartson were here when Larsson was here but also after him. So no, Hooper was the best striker since Larsson as he's not better than them two.

Overall Hoopers time was better than Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink at Celtic, but was any Hoopers seasons better than big Vinegar * first season? I'd imagine that's debatable for some.

And let's not forget how outstanding Scott McDonald was for us. Many would say he was better. Big game player that lad, some great memorable crucial goals.

13. z1c0

Hooper done much more for us than Sutton and Hartson did after Larsson left.

Comparing Hooper to Scott Mcdonald says it all really... Hooper's streets ahead of Mcdonald technically, the best compliment you could possibly give to Mcdonald is he's a poor man's Gary Hooper.

Hooper was a very gifted player who was so much more than a poacher, his ability to hold the pall up and bring others into play was crucial to us, it says a lot when we still haven't came close to replacing him.

You just have to look at how well other players like Stokes, Forrest and Commons played when Hooper was in the team, he was our key player in terms of linking the play and that shouldn't got unnoticed.

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I Always forget we only got 2 and a half seasons out of Skippy.

15. Sonny7

Take your tongue out Hoopers * pipe for fs lad:smiley-laughing002:

Comparing Hooper and McDonald is fairly reasonable as both were great strikers for the club and great goalscorers in the league and Europe. McDonald could hold the ball up as well you know. He was solid and stalkier than Hooper.

So does that mean you'd take Hooper over Hartson and Sutton? Jeez, says it all really:56:

16. Sonny7

A know it's crazy seemed like more. He done some much for us and gave us so many great memories in such a short time.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

* me I only realised now. Could have sworn he was here maybe 4 years.

18. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Whats griffs stats? All game except friendlys?

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He done well today, never got many chances, really only 2 attempts I mind him having but off the ball he had Inverness all over the place at the back and put severe pressure on them causing them to panic and crumble, Johansen, Armstrong and Brown also played a part in that.

He should start V Malmo.

20. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I agree. He has done the business for us all year. It would be an insult to not start him in this game imo