1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Glad this beast has been released, giving him an extension was a horrendous idea

2. leeso-ardoyne

That's one of them comments like the fella that learnt to walk on water, your the one standing shouting at him "aye it's because ya can't swim ya daft *" lol. Aye but......... Hahaha

3. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Place is full of these types.

Happy to defend clatty no use * and despicable no moral behaviours.

littlekennie likes this.
  4. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Probably more a waddle than a run tbh

Boruc17 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC chiefs feared Leigh Griffiths would be an unwanted distraction if he returned to Parkhead.

It’s understood that’s the reason the Hoops board struck a financial deal for the remaining five months of the striker’s contract.

Official confirmation of Griffiths’ exit from Celtic is expected within days, while he could yet stay at loan club Dundee for the rest of the season.

The ex-Scotland hero was always leaving Celtic in the summer after 123 goals in eight years and 14 trophies following a £900,000 move from Wolves in January, 2014.

SunSport revealed on January 4 that Dens Park boss James McPake was under pressure from club chiefs Tim Keyes and John Nelms to justify keeping the wayward 31-year-old for the second half of his season-long loan.

Griffiths has scored just two goals in 14 appearances.

A break clause in the deal allowed the Dark Blues to send him back to Celtic Park.

That then sparked Parkhead directors into looking for a compromise to avoid the player returning to Lennoxtown.

Ange Postecoglou had made it clear Griffiths wasn’t part of his plans.

Now the former Livingston and Hibs frontman, in a second spell at Dundee, is set to bank a pay-off to become a free agent.

Griffiths will likely agree reduced terms with McPake to see out the current campaign.

6. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Imagine the career he'd be having if he wasn't intent on * it away. Could be starting for us tomorrow and gearing up for the World Cup, instead he cannae get a seat on Dundee's bench. What a * waste.

7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think he'll get one more move to another SPFL team, where he'll * up again, then finally waste away in the lower leagues.

Had a lifeline handed to him by Lennon during the 2019/2020 season, and he repays that by showing up woefully unfit and ruining our plans for the qualifiers.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Given the * that get contracts in this league he likely will get a deal but on the fraction of what he is earning. I can easily see lots of clubs not wanting the hassle though.

9. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Wouldn't surprise me if he went to the huns

littlekennie likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

They're not stupid enough to take him. Plus, he'd get nowhere near their matchday squad.

scuzzy likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Kelty Hearts my prediction.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    LOL..

He literally wouldn't even get a game for the likes of Thistle in the championship..

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Good shout. Sort of level he's at now.

14. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Officer Doofy and @McChiellini..

LOL I know but I was just thinking how desparate the huns would be for a goal scorer and he might just pull his weight coz personally I think he loves the worship.
    That was all

15. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Reckon that mutant ned at Livi might consider him.

Although the most likely outcome from that is Martindale doing another stint in Barlinnie for chibbing Leigh when he doesn't pay his debts.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DUNDEE manager James McPake is determined to keep a hold of Leigh Griffiths for the remainder of the season.

The 31-year-old striker's Celtic contract is set to be cancelled early and once his loan at Dens Park expires at the end of the month, the former Scotland internationalist will be a free agent.

Parkhead chiefs informed Griffiths of the decision to tear up his deal last week and McPake is keen on retaining the centre-forward until the end of the campaign - outlining his belief that Griffiths has turned a corner of late.

Leigh has trained over the past few days and has been working hard, he's in the squad," McPake said.

"When players like Leigh Griffiths pop up, you're always interested, our focus as a club is on [Tuedsay's game] at Livingston.

"The situation is what it is, I can't speak on behalf of Celtic, hopefully he goes and has a positive impact in our team.

"He's showing a desire to kick-start his career of late with that free-kick away to Aberdeen and scored in a bounce game last week against Forfar.

"That goal against Aberdeen is something Leigh has done all his career, he's a player that loves scoring goals and enjoying his football.

"When you get Griffiths scoring goals then you're getting a good player and we need to add more goals into him in the second half of the season."

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was he no talking about trying to get rid of him the other day:56:

littlekennie and Keano88 like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic star Kris Commons believes his former teammate Leigh Griffiths could still be an asset to top-flight teams if he “applies himself.”

The one-time Scotland international’s days at Celtic are over after being released by the Parkhead club with six months left on his contract.

Commons played with Griffiths between 2014 and 2016 and he admits there is something clearly up with his attitude.

Writing in the Daily Mail, Commons said: “In Leigh Griffiths’ case, you’re now looking at every person he’s worked under over the past seven or so years stating that he’s not behaved like a professional. I’m sorry, but they can’t all be wrong.

We’ve had Ronny Deila, Neil Lennon, Brendan Rodgers and Steve Clarke saying it. Now Ange Postecoglou and James McPake are reading off the same script.

"Leigh is 31 now. I was about his age when I had my best season in football and won Player of the Year. Instead, he is damaged goods.

“Listen you’ve got to have huge sympathy for anyone who has endured the kind of mental health issues he’s had. He went through *.

“But you can’t use that as an excuse for all the fitness problems and injuries he’s suffered for so long. It points to something else behind the scenes as to why it’s not happening for him as a professional footballer.”

Griffiths has scored 123 goals for The Hoops but, prior to his loan to Dundee, had not started for the Premiership club since a 2-1 home loss to St Mirren in January last year.

He also wrote his name into the internationalhistory books with two free-kicks against England in a 2-2 draw in 2017.

His best goalscoring season for Celtic came in the 2015-16 season under Ronny Deila when he racked up 40 goals in 51 appearances.

Commons added: “The fall from grace from him scoring those two goals for Scotland against England to where he is now is just remarkable.

“It’s not down to bad form and not scoring. It’s purely down to a lack of application Monday to Friday.

“He now can’t get into a team. And, on the rare occasion he is, he’s just not scoring goals.

“I shared a dressing room with him and I was close with him – but not to the extent that I knew everything he was up to the minute he left Lennoxtown.

“He was the sort of guy who’d walk onto a training ground without any warm-up and start blasting balls into the net. He loved scoring goals. And as long as he was doing that in a game, it was hard to pick fault.”

Despite his criticisms, Commons still believes Griffiths can offer something.

He pointed to former Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon as the perfect example for Griffiths to follow.

He said: “What’s beyond argument is that he has achieved a lot in football. He’s in the top 20 of Celtic’s all-time goalscorers. He’s won loads of trophies. He scored those two iconic free- kicks for his country.

“He was quick, his movement was good, he was exceptional in the air for quite a small guy. He was physical, was lethal on free kicks, he could finish and he knew how to roll his sleeves up. He also had supreme confidence in his own ability.

“But it could have amounted to so much more. He should be in the peak of his career. Yet it feels like he’s had more lives than a cat and they’ve now run out.

“No matter what anyone says, I don’t feel it’s too late for him to still do something, even if that’s not going to be at Celtic or Dundee.

Look at Craig Gordon – two years out of the game and considering a career in punditry. Since then he’s won an unbeaten treble at Celtic, been outstanding for Hearts for two seasons and could play in a World Cup just before his 40th birthday.

“Leigh could still have three years at the top level if he applies himself. The problem is that it’s no longer just about his talent. Managers now feel that they can’t rely on him.”

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Maestro 08

Taking lessons in conduct from Kris Commons. Wasn't exactly a model pro himself.

Anyway glad he's gone, I suspect he wanted out as much as we wanted him out. No doubt didn't want to come back here and face the music. When's the motivational, I'll prove everyone wrong videos due. Just do your talking on the pitch.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member