1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sounds like he will start on Thursday against Lille. It is so great to have Griffiths back and with each game hopefully getting sharper and stronger.

Metrobhoy and TheHappyLoss like this.
  2. wulliebad

start and taken off at half time or brought on at 70 mins because we are losing.

3. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Need to get this guy back fully match fit. Think he’ll be massive for us this season. Don’t think there’s anyone more deadly in front of goal and who the knows league better In Scotland. Always a chance of a goal when he’s on the park even when it’s not looking likely. Was absolutely slaughtered about being overweight after lock down, looking back it was probably a bit harsh on him but he has got himself back in shape.

Sgt Neppers* and Metrobhoy like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Leigh always plays as if he has a point to prove and will always give 100%. Other players should try to do likewise instead of going through the motions.

6. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Can’t wait for stability and a solid first team, as Griffiths looks like he’s getting back to his best, a fit, in form Griff is fantastic for the team.

7. TheHappyLoss

He can come out with all the it’s the team that matters and he’s here if needed sound bytes he likes but he must be fuming he’s not getting a start.

Mickmac likes this.
  8. h0tsh0t87

I said it for months now lennon doesn’t fancy Griffiths and once again he has shown it tonight . Every game Griffiths has played in he has made the difference yet can’t get off the bench ?

9. Paradise88

With Edouard back, and ajeti being Lenny's golden child I don't think we will see him start again.

10. h0tsh0t87

St Johnstone He came on and gave us a spark and won us the match. -

ac Milan he wasn’t great to be honest but offered a lot more than ajeti ? Yet was hooked at half time

Aberdeen ajeti didn’t offer much at all and at times forgot he was even on the pitch . Griffiths again came on and made a difference .

then Today once again on the bench and ajeti gets the nod and doesn’t get on .

those chances were moi took the wrong decision twice at the end of the game Griffiths would have at least had a shot on target or made the right run to make the space

Paradise88 likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He (or even Klimala) was the sub to make in the context of the game tonight.

Lenny definitely one eye on Sunday and starting Eddy IMO.

Smithy likes this.
  12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lenny keeping him fresh for sheep, chill

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Leigh Griffiths insists Celtics stars are driven to keep rewriting history.

The Parkhead side head for Hampden on Sunday aiming to extend an astonishing domestic run of cup success.

Having set new landmarks with 11 straight trophies and also winning a Treble Treble, Neil Lennon’s troops go into the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen looking to win a 35th consecutive cup-tie and stay on course to set a new benchmark.

Twelve successive trophies and a quadruple Treble also go on the line against the Dons and Griffiths is adamant the squad is determined not to let their chance slip to make another mark on the annals of Scottish football.

The frontman also declared Celtic are paying no mind to pundits criticising their start to the season.

He said: “Of course, the desire does increase. We’ve won three straight Trebles, now we want to make it four.

We’re going for our own history. If it’s never been done, then that’s another incentive to make sure we go and get the job done.

If you look at guys like James Forrest and Scott Brown, they’ve got something like 19 and 21 winners medals although these guys have been here a lot longer than I have.

Whether we’re going for our eighth, ninth, tenth trophy on the bounce, or it’s boys who are going for their first, we want everybody to be a part of it and to be successful.

“We know every year the challenge gets harder and Aberdeen will make things really difficult for us on Sunday.

“We’ll need to turn up with the right attitude, make sure that everybody’s on point and that, by the end, we’re in another Final.”

Celtic head for the National Stadium on a winless run of four games, but there were a host of positives in the midweek 2-2 Europa League draw with Lille.

Neil Lennon’s troops have been heavily criticised at times in the past fortnight, but Griffiths insists it cuts no ice inside the dressing room.

He said: “Listen, we don’t take any notice of what pundits or ex-players want to say about us.

“They just want to stay in jobs, they want to give their 50 pence worth. But we don’t listen to them.

We know what we’ve got, we know the squad and backroom staff we’ve got.

“We’re all fighting for the same cause, so anybody wants to disrupt us, well they can try and try and try. It’s not going to affect us.

“We’re a great squad and a tight knit group. Everybody plays for the badge, everybody’s fighting for the same cause.

“It would be very good for us to get a final. Ex-players and pundits who want to have a pop at us can say what they want and claim that we’re in a crisis.

“Every club in the world will go through a difficult time at some stage.

“It happens. But, we’re only two points off what we were last season, so to call that a crisis? Last season we ended up winning the league by 13 points.

So I wouldn’t call this a crisis. We had a couple of bad results, no doubt. But we’re hoping to turn things around and what better way to start than by getting to a Cup final on Sunday.”

Griffiths, meanwhile, insists his focus is only on Celtic and not regaining his Scotland spot.

Steve Clarke’s side have their win-or-bust showdown against Serbia on Thursday week, but the striker has made it clear he’s got a job to do at Parkhead before even thinking about international recall.

Griffiths said: “To be honest, the Scotland game is the furthest thing from my mind right now. I want to be back in Celtic’s starting eleven before I start thinking about pulling on a Scotland jersey.

I want to be fit, I want to be in the goals. If I get selected for it, then brilliant. If not, then the boys will get my best wishes for the game and, hopefully, they can go on and do the country proud and get us to the Euros.

“But first and foremost, my club football is priority and I want to be training well and making sure I’m playing well here.”

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  14. wulliebad

lenny didn't look happy with him at the end.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Should have told that * Clarke to go * himself.
    Will never forgive Clarke for standing beside pie man Boyd, live on TV, like a mute statue, while that pie man slagged off Griff.
    I was screaming at the TV, "FFS, stand up for your players"

honda likes this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Could you picture any other manager in football taking that and not sticking up for their player?
    Especially from a sack if * like Boyd. Wound me up bigtime.

honda likes this.
  18. h0tsh0t87

St Johnstone Griffiths came on and won us the game .

Aberdeen came on and sparked some life into us .

tonight scored and acted like he gave a * yet will no doubt be back on the bench .

and what is Sutton all about - yes Griffiths scored but he can’t be bothered to get himself fit sums up the attitude of the dressing room ? All season he has been having digs at Griffiths

BADGERBHOY likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Griff isn't a great player. He's a good player and an excellent finisher..

All that said but since coming back in, this is a guy who keeps showing the other's up just by his energy and tempo..

That shouldn't be the case from a guy off the bench who has been a joke during lockdown..

20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Sutton having a huge rant about griff looking overweight and out of condition! He looked alright to me