1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m honestly not convinced this situation is all his fault.

2. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A few times in that match tonight my mind turned to Griffiths and thought he would have just slot in when Edouard was declared not fit and would no doubt have done a job as he in fairness always did...seems such a waste the fact he’s nowhere near the squad or playing and if there is genuinely good reason for this it’s time he was gone for good

3. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye details are thin on the ground and it’s all rumours, I will tell you what...when he came on in that friendly at Parkhead v Hibs he looked as sharp as I’ve seen him...I can only go on what I see, what other say however contradicts that so that’s why I’m in agreement something could well be happening that’s not straightforward and out in the open

4. h0tsh0t87

Griffiths has made mistakes sure but he can’t take any of the blame tonight .

last season when Griffiths had a good game Lennon would still find fault such as yeh he played well but could do better . If Griffiths had a bad game instantly dropped . Yet when lennons favourite players had a bad game he would defend them and they would still start games .

Look at that Hibs game did Griffiths look unfit or heavy no he looked sharp and wanting to make a impression. That game was 1-2 weeks after he was meant to be so unfit he couldn’t travel to France .

if he is being punished for his misses having a birthday parry that is crazy too - it’s not like he went to Spain to hook up with someone or to Greece with many other celebrities and had a party . He had a birthday party for his misses hardly crime of the century .

Lennon has always had a issue with Griffiths very similar issues he had with stokes at one point.

This also opens up another conspiracy - tierney had a chance to stay for 10 in a row but left , Forster said he loves it at Celtic and had a chance of first team football but choose not to stay for 10 in a row maybe lennons man management isn’t. As great as we think

Morcombe and freitassen like this.
  5. Maestro 08

Griff has let the support and club down big time imo, no matter how u shake it down he's been missing at a time of great need. Lennon annihilated him at the beginning of the season and I have enough confidence in Lenny that he would only be doing that if it was deserved. After that he played against Hibs and Lenny spoke well of him. Since then he's been totally missing. Strange and you can only read between the lines. As sad as it is Griff must be on his way out of this club sooner rather than later.

King of Kings, Crilly and RI Bhoy like this.
  6. h0tsh0t87

you trust Lennon enough ? Even after tonight ? Once again he plays his friends and silly line ups

He didn’t speak highly of him at all he gave him a compliment such as he did well and but he’s still a few weeks away from being ready .... the same thing he always says .

Griffith is a idiot at times yes but I can’t help but think his exile from the squad is more Lennon stamping authority.

freitassen likes this.
  7. Maestro 08

Yes of course I trust the coaching staff and their judgement on Griff's condition post lockdown. Lennon publicly voiced the issues the staff had in order to get Griff to wake up. Just because we lost a game today doesn't mean Lennon wasn't justified in repremanding Griff for being unprofessional. It was very much NOT about Lennon stamping his authority but more about not allowing Griff to get away with slacking which was backed up by the club captain. Unless of course u are now questioning the integrity of 2 Celtic legends.

King of Kings likes this.
  8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Are people serious when they say he can’t take any of the blame?

We were flying with the 3-5-2 system. He can back unfit enough for us to have to change that entire system and by Lennon’s own admission, bring in another striker to play alongside Edouard.

It’s a massive part of the reason we’ve been poor in the early stages of this season.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We had 3 un-injured strikers and guess how many he played? None. Guess what excuse was used? Not match fit. 1 of these is a boy who worked his * off big time to get strength to play during lockdown. Something smells fishy imo.

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Griffiths is injured though. He came back to pre-season in poor condition which was likely a contributing factor to that injury.

Ajeti was on holiday up until a couple of weeks ago.

Neither of these guys were serious contenders to start up front for me. Klimala is, but for whatever reason Lennon decided against that. I’m not suggesting that wasn’t a poor decision, I’m suggesting Griffiths absolutely did * us over by coming back unfit and subsequently getting injured.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not buying it. Hes probably picked up an injury after Lennon publicly blasting him for not being fit after being forced into lockdown so he then over compensated pushed himself too hard and got injured. So that could again be down to lennon. You can take any narrative you want and twist it anyway. Imo Lennon's poor tactics * us over 10x more than any player.

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Re-read the first part of that paragraph and then tell me I’m the one twisting the narrative here....

Griffiths is a notoriously poor trainer and has been for years. His fitness has been questioned by Deila, Rodgers and Lennon.

The narrative is simple and perfectly believable - he’s come back from lockdown out of shape, and as a result picked up a muscle injury. It’s extremely common for people attempting to take part in physical activity they aren’t prepared for.

And I would agree that Lennon’s tactics let us down. In terms of Griffiths though he’s done absolutely nothing wrong. The blame for us having a straight choice between starting Klimala up front alone or starting Christie lies at Griffs door unfortunately.

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Your post reads that this entire games fault was on an injured player who wasnt even on the bench. Aye ok pal.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Then you’re clearly misreading it.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Clearly.

16. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

A 30 year old professional football player and he spent his lockdown making tik tok videos instead of keeping fit. * disgrace.

McChiellini.. and King of Kings like this.
  17. h0tsh0t87

Fans have been saying since the incident after lockdown Griffiths should leave , Griffiths should go on loan etc . Yet these same fans are blaming him for tonight’s defeat . . .

people agreeing with Lennon and trusting his judgement and saying he right in what he says etc completely ignored last season when Griffiths was banging goals in and playing well Lennon would always follow it with a negative comment . If he had a bad game instantly dropped

Ntcham also has a bad game he would get dropped by Lennon instantly.

yet when brown , mcGregor, Christie , Forrest , Jullian had a bad game he would defend them in the press and they would start the next game .

his first time at Celtic similar things happened only playing his mates , over critical of Anthony stokes at the time .

At Hibs same thing throwing players under the bus players not wanting to play for him

18. TheHappyLoss

If he’d have played last night we would be through, hugely frustrating. He misses a lot of games now, if it’s injury, discipline or mental issues is kinda irrelevant, he’s not there when we need him

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I said at the time if he was ready for the season starting then it wouldn't be an issue, but he's clearly miles out of the picture just now, which is his own fault, thus he deserves the criticism coming his way, including not being available for last night.

Dan Breen and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  20. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    It's not his fault last night, but it is his fault he wasn't available, and he might also be a factor in the disharmony that seems to be about the dressing room(opinion), the more professional guys in the squad probably wondering how many chances will he get. he'll be near impossible to move on given his wage, but we do have bigger issues to resolve than just griff, too many folk hanging onto jobs because of sentiment.