1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I disagree that we "need" him, that sort of mindset allows players to become complacent.

He would be an extremely valuable player to the club if fully fit, with his head screwed on and ready to do the business.

If he isn't putting in the right prep work to be up with the rest of the squad then that won't be the case and Lennon is right to consider other options that can be there. This is too big a season for the club and Lennon personally, to take chances on people that aren't showing the right graft.

Lennon runs the squad as a meritocracy and rightly so. If you have one guy doing everything asked of him and more in training eg. Klimala then you can't pick a guy who's doing it half-arsed ahead of him. If you do, then others in the squad will think they can get away with giving less than 100%

For that end I'd say it's more of a want for a fully fit Griff than a need. No man is bigger than the club, no individual is irreplaceable.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What if Klimala isn't up to standard though?

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It goes without saying that no man is bigger than the club. You say this season is not a time for taking chances, exactly which is why I am uncomfortable going into the season with only one proven striker if Griffiths doesnt play. Klimala and Bayo have a * of a lot to prove before anyone can say either of them are viable replacements for Griffiths. From your point of view its risky relying Griffiths, from my point of view its risky relying on Kiimala or Bayo to fill the big void that Griffiths will leave. Getting Griffiths back on track is needed, Edouard and Griffiths were terrorising defences at the end of last season, if that continues they will fire us to 10 in a row. Im not happy with him but for this massive season I want him playing.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Lennon knows more on the subject that yourself and I, so we have to trust his judgement on this.

He's not the type to hold a personal vendetta against someone and cut off his nose to spite his face. He will do what he feels is best for the club.

A fully fit Griffiths is undoubtedly an asset and we've seen what he can do but he cannot rest on his laurels and assume he's a first choice pick.

Talk on social media and interviews is cheap, action is what we want to see. By that I mean Griff at full pelt with a sustained run in the team delivering the goods. You can't do that at a club like Celtic if you don't look after yourself and the only man that can do that is Leigh.

Hopefully he heeds the warning, knuckles down and gets back into Lennon's good books but it won't come.easy for him; nor should it.

seanm and moravcik1888 like this.
  5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    At present neither is Griffiths, he has had every bit of support from the fans and the club, he needs to get a grip and knuckle down. Whether he does that is another matter entirely.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Don’t agree with that. We know Griffiths is good enough to be a Celtic player. Of course he needs to be fit to fully utilise his ability, but so far Klimala hasn’t proven he can be relied upon, whereas we know Griffiths can score goals and provide.
    My point is, unless we sign another striker, I feel Griffiths will be needed this season. Klimala is unconvincing and I just don’t see it with Bayo.

seanm likes this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I meant is Griffiths still good enough and focused enough to be a Celtic player? Of course Klimala is totally untested and I agree on Bayo, but unless Griffiths sorts himself out then he won’t be needed because he won’t be here.

8. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    spot on man, well said, just because he was back playing didn’t mean his mental health problems were cured, those first 6 weeks of lockdown were a really bad time for people who feel isolated at best of times

Ipswichbhoy67 and Avatar Daizen like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ability wise he’s still good enough. In terms of focus, it doesn’t sound it at the moment. He has time to rectify if though.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Then we need to go into the market for a striker.

Gyp Rosetti and MacEwan like this.
  11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t agree with people ruling out Klimala and Bayo just to push the argument that this is crunch time for Griffiths and Celtic. The statement is true without slandering our other strikers.

Both these guys need and deserve a run in the team before anything can be said. We are terrible for judging players based on a few appearances. I can understand being worried about Bayo, but Klimala has barely been on the field.

I still have hopes for both. There was a point in time early doors when I wasn’t convinced by Edouard.

Saying that, I’m expecting a loan signing and probably a loan out for Bayo.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. seanm

griff will win us 10 iar if he is given the chance. mental health is not a choice like drink or drugs. your up or down every hour of everyday. so a * lockdown was awful for the boy. let him get back at his own pace.damien duff said hes the best finisher hed ever seen.thats * good enough for me.plus he gets us. cmon wee man.HH

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  13. john2061

If Lenny wants to play 3-5-2 then you need four forwards at the club so still expect another forward to come in soon .

14. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Couple of things with regards to Griffiths.

Last season he made a welcome contribution after wee flogged every last ounce of quality out of Eddie. He also managed to forge a decent partnership with Eddie. This gave us another dynamic to our play and helped us to explore other formations and solutions to challenges posed.

At this moment in time, none of the above is available or an option. And the reason for that, is at this point or over recent weeks, is that Leigh has been deemed way short of the levels required. The being or having enough to get through the domestic game isn't enough. Nowhere near enough for the coming season, a season which prior to the Coronavirus, would have been the biggest for many of us.

This season we need to be in the best condition in order to play at the required standard and maintain it. Challenging in Europe, 3 Cups and 10 in a row will require every player to be on it every week. But the pressure an expectation from us will be more than ever before.

Griffiths has the ability to make a contribution. But it needs to be more than ever before. He needs to be in the best shape possible. Not playing and scoring one week. Then missing for two weeks with a calf strain or niggling injury. He has to be there constantly.

I think we've seen a standard set from all this. And I don't think Griffiths is the only one who needs to be around and do more.

Expectations have risen and in this case its up to Leigh to match those expectations.

seanm likes this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

For me his importance lies in his set piece ability as well as his goalscoring prowess.

Nobody else in our squad can put a set piece in the box or attempt free kicks as consistently (bar Eddie).

We could score a barrell load with him taking corners whipping it in for Jullien to bury...

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. seanm

agreed but id take the league over cups europe etc.we are at our best an europa league side im afraid.HH

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I agree, I also think he’s the most natural striker at the club, but he is making it hard for both himself and the manager.

18. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Has there been any updates on him since his rollicking ?

19. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Been away fae Social media obviously took on heed what Lenny said. Hopefully gets himself back on the ball as he is deadly on his day shame it’s been a while since we have seen it though.

buchanbhoy and Scotia like this.
  20. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Yes , hope he,s got the head down , on his game is a positive for us .