1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee O'Connor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Lee O'Connor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    For me I've seen enough of him playing to realise he is a massive massive talent and I hope he makes the breakthrough in the hoops rather than somewhere else, I don't think he has been given what he's been promised when he agreed to sign, he done no pre season and that possibly has restricted his options of a loan, I feel he's been slightly let down by the club. Its not been the fact he's Irish because I'm not suggesting afolabi or Coffey even done pre season with the first team. That u21 team is probably the most talented u21 team Ireland have ever produced and he was named player of the year, molumby O'Shea Connolly idah Parrott knight obafemi Masterson kelleher have all made impacts with their respective first teams and O'Connor can't even get out training with the first team with us, hopefully the loan works anyway

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tranmere Rovers are pleased to announce the double signing of defender Lee O’Connor and midfielder Paul Lewis.

O’Connor, who was rewarded with the Republic of Ireland U21 player of the year award earlier this month, moves on a season long loan from Scottish champions Celtic, whilst Lewis has agreed a permanent one-year contract at the Club after leaving Cambridge United at the end of last season.

Both players have linked up with Mike Jackson’s squad and have trained with their new team mates as preparations continue for the 2020/21 campaign.

Delighted with the double signing, speaking about O’Connor first, Jackson said: “There is no secret we have needed a full back in the building. First of all, I would like to thank Celtic for allowing us to sign their player on loan and we are delighted to have him in.

“He is a young lad with an excellent pedigree, and we are looking forward to him. He has a lot of ability, he is good on the ball, he will fit into the group well. He fits the way we want to play.

New loan signing O’Connor admits he is now looking forward to using his experiences of playing international football to help his new club, Tranmere Rovers.

O’Connor said: “I am happy the move is now over the line. It is a massive football club, the conversations I have had with the Gaffer, the plans are very intriguing, and you know straight away how he wants to play.

“I spent a long time with Manchester United, so I know the North West well. I can’t wait for the league to start and hopefully I can help the Club achieve what they want to achieve.

I have learnt a lot from my time at Manchester United, Celtic and playing international football, and I am looking to use that experience to help me push on at Tranmere Rovers.”

Speaking about Lewis, boss Jackson said: “To be fair to the lad, he came in last week and trained so straight away, that shows his commitment. He wants to be here, he has played a lot of games in this league.

“He played 40 times last season and he has taken to the place brilliantly. We knew all about him anyway, so we have had a good look at his fitness and he has done really well.

“He is different to what we already have, he gives us a different option. He is a local lad, at a good age with still room to improve. It means a lot to him to sign for Tranmere, he is really enthusiastic, and he is honest. We are delighted, and he will do well.”

Fellow new recruit, Lewis added by saying he knows exactly what is expected from him now he is a Tranmere Rovers player.

He said: “I have enjoyed been around the place already, working with the manager, the coaching staff and the lads. As soon as you walk through the doors, you know you are playing for a massive football club and having grown up just 20 minutes down the road, I know the expectations and how big Tranmere Rovers are.

“I want to play a small part in a big project, and I am here to help! I have played against Tranmere a few times and I know how this place can get bouncing, the fans are incredible to play in front of.

“The gaffer’s ideas were a really big pull too. It has been a long few months regardless of what job you do so I can’t wait now for the league to start.”

tarboltontim and Dublin Celt like this.
  3. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Apparently very good tonight, has started and finished all their games. Exactly what he needs

King Kwon and Crilly like this.
  5. northeast67

Hope he does well then comes back to us ready to crack on, plenty to offer yet

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    U21 squad[​IMG]

7. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I'm surprised Luca Connell never gets in the U21 team. He jumped from like the U18s or U19s straight to training with the Ireland senior team when at Bolton, and apparently impressed. Haven't seen him since. I really hope he didn't make a mistake coming here.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. Keano88

At this moment in time it definitely feels that way.

I never seen him pre-season but a few people seemed impressed by him. The fact we’ve not seen him since and have signed another CM to add to the growing list tells me he’s way down the pecking order in that position.

Seen people mention he could play LWB but not seen enough of him to form an opinion on that myself.

Needs a loan.

9. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

were not the best at bringing through young talent, too much pressure for the manager to pick, wee expect them to just slot in like their a £5m pound signing

these two guys are left backs arent they and its been our problem position this season and theyve not had a sniff

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Connell can play left back but he is primarily a holding midfielder.

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I was a bit surprised he didn't get included in that squad either. He may have lost out due to the Southampton duo being called up for the first time.

12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Smallbone and ferry are either playing in prem or in around the Southampton squad. I don't think connell has played a game bar half of one against Hibs in pre season at least O'Connor has gone out and is playing regular, connell needs the same, if he was playing regularly he would be in the squad

KelsoBhoy67 and Dan Breen like this.
  13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

still played the position a good few times for bolton and never got near a game for us when taylor was struggling at left back

because we are so successful challenging for everything all the time and have to win all the time that these young guys need to be exceptional talents and also be lucky that our management have no choice but to play them and when they do get that game they need to shine brightly

maybe the ex bolton kid didnt want to play left back i guess thats a possibility

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Connell I remember said he could fill in at left back but didn't say that was his position.
    The problem any manager here is that if they play a young guy and it goes * up the fans start booing. We are expected to win the league, and after winning three successful trebles and possibly a fourth then that has become expected too and you can't use that for test games. Tierney and McGregor were able to get game time during a spell where even if we lost half a dozen games, we would still cruise to the title.

15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    What is the obsession with talking about Luca O'Connell in the Lee O'Connor thread ?

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sounds like the world beater some on here were making him out to be...

18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    There's a lot of issues in how we treat young talent, especially guys like O'connell, but i've never really thought O'connor falls under that bracket. He's been loaned out twice and was, rightly, behind the pecking order of a very solid Elhamed and Frimpong.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member