1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ledley the new Lennon?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by pHatRon67, Feb 21, 2011.

Discuss Ledley the new Lennon? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. pHatRon67

Not in terms of style of play or anything, but simply for the fact that he does the work that nobody really notices.

He was fantastic yesterday, picking up loose balls and playing simple yet effective passes.

I think he's got a lot more to give the team, but he's doing a fantastic job in the CM/DM position and allowing the likes of Kayal and Brown to play their game they have been.

A lot of his work goes unnoticed as did Lennons for years. People used to get stuck right in to Lennon as he never really got forward and always played a sideways or backwards pass, Ledley is doing something very similar.

I think he's been fantastic in this recent run of games. Our midfield has been exceptional since the turn of the year..Ljunberg can't even get a game..

thoughts on Ledley? I imagine a lot of people feel he doesn't do enough, but for me, he's been brilliant since the turn of the year.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I thought he was excellent yesterday, efficient is the perfect word for him.

3. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    the new lennon? no i would say kayal is though! joe is a quality player and i have said this before! he will be a lot better next season.

4. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    He's been brilliant since the start of the season. He does the "Darren Fletcher" role for me. Consistant and solid. Good passing, great energy and running, reads the game brilliantly, Covers anybody who is out of position. People forget that centre midfield is a partnership that has to develop aswell and for me he should always play along side Kayal and the both of them provide brilliant balance in the midfield.

5. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    A lot of people won't be happy unless a midfielder is sliding into brutal challenges, scoring from thirty yards and dribbling past an entire team. These people, unfortunately, will never appreciate the quietly effective work of a player like Joe Ledley.

6. jhimbhoab

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    have u seen a handsome hun
    what he said

7. irvy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,cauldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    ledley is the unsung hero he woud be the first name on my team sheet

8. pHatRon67

The great thing about yesterday for me too was the fact that when Kayal went off injured, Ki stepped in along side Ledley and nothing looked out of place.

9. Bamboozle

Ledley is Celtic's Tenzing Norgay, gets no credit but we wouldnt have done so well this season without him in the team.

10. Shen

:56:so true mate :50:

11. PaddyBhoy_1888

Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I'll second that! Ki came on and done as required.

12. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He puts in a power of work and as the original poster says a lot of it is the simple unglamorous stuff that nobody notices. He always seems to be in the right position and he closes people down like a hunting dog. He makes simple interceptions and his passing is always reliable. He's got everything is his locker really.

What frustrates me about him is that I think he plays within him self a lot of the time. This guy has the ability to completely dominate games IMO. As of now he's a very good and effective player but I think he has the talent to do even more.

13. nfg3001

I rate Ledley very highly but I think he is a lot more like Paul Lambert

14. bresbhoy

Smashing player is Ledley, would love to see him push up the park a bit more, I think he has plenty of goals in his locker.

15. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

This :50:

16. CFC

I think if you mixed Kayal and Ledley's attributes together, you'd have a player like Lennon. Ledley goes about his business quietly, breaking up play without a whimper, setting up a good pass without it being obvious. He makes good runs that go unnoticed and makes it a * of a lot easier for the defence as he does his fair share of shutting oponents down very quickly. He does these things without anyone really noticing him. I think players under estimate him, as he is not the flashy, in your face type. That makes him dangerous.
    Kayal's attitude for me, make him more like Lennon. I believe he is a better player than Lennon was, but also very different.

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Ledley is like our Xabi Alonso, he does everything to a good standard.

18. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

don't think either of them are like Lenny. Kayal can go past players and shoot and Ledley quietly goes about his business, can pass and grab a goal. Lenny just broke up play and gave it to a more creative player or passed it backwards.:56: One * of a leader though.

19. jiko

I do feel for him because I barely picked up on anything he did positive yesterday , and had the moment where the ball went under his boot on the edge of our box , etched on my mind as one of his contributions , but I agree with others that he's effective in that he's available for the ball and he moves it quickly and he must have a good pass percentage.. I think he's part of that solid 3 with Kayal and Brown that just allows others the freedom to express themselves a bit more..

20. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    i always have been expecting a lot more form ledley going forward but izzy is as effective as he is because of ledley,when izzy bombs forward ledley fills in an cover at lb for him,similar to the way busquets does it for spain when ramos pushes up down the right.

he does bring a good bit of balance to the middle and a good bit of cover for izzy